Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I actually get to sleep in until 8:30, wake up have a nice coffee and breakfast before heading to a buddies to help him with his boat. Come around the corner of the garage and see the toolbox in the back of my pickup is wide open. My blood pressure went through the roof and the whole day was ruined. So far I’m at 1200$ worth of tools stolen from the toolbox. They only stole two socket sets, breaker bar, my second plumbing toolbox, cordless sawzall and a bunch of tie downs. Didn’t touch the rake, shovel, pickaxe, trash pump extension cords from my Excavating job yesterday.
Found they busted out the locking mechanism on the toolbox. So much for weather tech boxes being unbreakinable. The weird thing is after coming home from dads birthday dinner I double checked everything was locked up.
Lowest of the low to steal what a guy makes his living with.

Attachments

·
4th year apprentice
399 Posts
That sucks. I've been there. Time for video cameras. They're cheap enough now.

They'll be back too, just as soon as you restock and get a new box.

An old timer once told me a story about a guy who got caught stealing tools on a big job site in the city years ago. Claims he was shown how an elevator shaft works without an elevator.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That stinks. Some people don't care if you need those tools to provide for your family. As long as they get their fix nothing else matters.

That's why I bought a dash cam with a rear camera. I put the rear camera in the back facing the rear doors. They can break in and steal things but at least I'll be able to provide images to the police. Unless they're savvy enough to steal the dash cam as well, haha.

That lock looks like it would be way too easy to remove for someone who knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cop just left, his suggestion is to empty the toolbox when the truck is unattended, I’m like what about the work truck I’ll be 5 hours unloading and loading it, why don’t we just start doing our job and finding these *******s.
In the old west when someone got caught stealing they cut their arms off, so people knew not to turn their backs on them. Hard to steal that way. Maybe instead of our justice system giving these clowns community service we should go back to the old days.

·
Super Moderator
8,026 Posts
I’ve only had one tool stolen from me... it was on a job site with a bunch of other trades, so it may have been mistaken identity. What sucks is it was my dad’s hammer.

My last Master went to a main line at 11pm on New Year’s Eve in student housing. Loaded the machine, went back down to clean up, came back up and some drunk kid stole his tool bag with ALL his hand tools! Thankfully my current Master had enough tools to set him up again. Insurance wouldn’t cover it.

I’m thankful to live where I do. I haven’t locked my cube since I got it 5 years ago. My camera lives on the truck.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,381 Posts
very sorry about your loss

we used to have this problem a lot but I finally welded a heavy duty hasp to all our doors and locked down everything with very large master locks..

these dumbasses dont have a grinder or a set of snips heavy duty enough to break through the chain or the heavy duty master locks...

you just have to get creative with a welder and some locks or cut a hole through the box and run a heavy duty chain through the box. and lock it down with the master lock........

you got to make them really WORK HARD for your tools...... the very idea of working hard for something really scares them off.....

On another note that is a really sweet truck you got sitting there.....
I think its too nice to use for plumbing.. that would be my main ride and baby if I had it........

Just be happy they did not decide to steal it or just vandalize it for meanness and spite........

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very sorry about your loss

we used to have this problem a lot but I finally welded a heavy duty hasp to all our doors and locked down everything with very large master locks..

these dumbasses dont have a grinder or a set of snips heavy duty enough to break through the chain or the heavy duty master locks...

you just have to get creative with a welder and some locks or cut a hole through the box and run a heavy duty chain through the box. and lock it down with the master lock........

you got to make them really WORK HARD for your tools...... the very idea of working hard for something really scares them off.....

On another note that is a really sweet truck you got sitting there.....
I think its too nice to use for plumbing.. that would be my main ride and baby if I had it........

Just be happy they did not decide to steal it or just vandalize it for meanness and spite........

Thanks. It is my main ride and baby, just usually gets used for weekend fun and now towing the excavator around.

·
4th year apprentice
399 Posts
The cop just left, his suggestion is to empty the toolbox when the truck is unattended, I’m like what about the work truck I’ll be 5 hours unloading and loading it, why don’t we just start doing our job and finding these *******s.
In the old west when someone got caught stealing they cut their arms off, so people knew not to turn their backs on them. Hard to steal that way. Maybe instead of our justice system giving these clowns community service we should go back to the old days.
We need Sherif Joe Arpio for president.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We need Sherif Joe Arpio for president.
I agree, up here the prisoners cry because they are treated like animals and when addressing them our pansy prime minister starts crying like a two year old that just dropped his ice cream.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
That really blows man. If you lost any oddball tools let us know I am sure we all would be happy to donate anything we can.

The best way to deal with this is to insure all your ****, keep a list of what you have, and keep all the receipts. And of course put your name on all your tools in many places, even inside if possible. Then after the fact you can check local pawn shops.

I installed a stainless hasp with three 1/4" stainless pop rivets and backup washers on my pickups toolbox. I would love to see a would-be thief drill out three 1/4" stainless pop-rivets. Mind you I only keep a jerry can and some random stuff in there but still.

That cop telling you to empty it every night is phucking retarded. Breaking into a vehicle should carry the same weight as breaking and entering, at least if it's on residential property.

Trail cameras are pretty cheap, reliable, work well at night, and are motion activated.

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That really blows man. If you lost any oddball tools let us know I am sure we all would be happy to donate anything we can.

The best way to deal with this is to insure all your ****, keep a list of what you have, and keep all the receipts. And of course put your name on all your tools in many places, even inside if possible. Then after the fact you can check local pawn shops.

I installed a stainless hasp with three 1/4" stainless pop rivets and backup washers on my pickups toolbox. I would love to see a would-be thief drill out three 1/4" stainless pop-rivets. Mind you I only keep a jerry can and some random stuff in there but still.

That cop telling you to empty it every night is phucking retarded. Breaking into a vehicle should carry the same weight as breaking and entering, at least if it's on residential property.

Trail cameras are pretty cheap, reliable, work well at night, and are motion activated.
Thanks for the offer but I’m not one for handouts. Now the fight with the insurance company starts. Business insurance said no has to go through the building insurance, building insurance said they are in a work truck so the value gets deprecated. Just a total joke. They took in all 1450$ worth of stuff, minus the depreciation 35% comes to $1074 minus my deductible of $1000 I’m get a cheque from insurance for $74 to replace $1450 worth of tools. I told the insurance guy thats unacceptable, insurance is as big of crooks as the sh!tapple that did the stealing. Sad thing is had they been 4’ away in the garage there would be no depreciation They are paying for a new tumbler for the toolbox.

·
Super Moderator
8,020 Posts
Thanks for the offer but I’m not one for handouts. Now the fight with the insurance company starts. Business insurance said no has to go through the building insurance, building insurance said they are in a work truck so the value gets deprecated. Just a total joke. They took in all 1450$ worth of stuff, minus the depreciation 35% comes to $1074 minus my deductible of $1000 I’m get a cheque from insurance for $74 to replace $1450 worth of tools. I told the insurance guy thats unacceptable, insurance is as big of crooks as the sh!tapple that did the stealing. Sad thing is had they been 4’ away in the garage there would be no depreciation They are paying for a new tumbler for the toolbox.
That's the reason why I don't pay insurance for my tools, their depreciation makes it useless. Same goes for my vehicles, no insurance other than the minimum. After 10 years your vehicle is worth what they want and what they want is worth 50$. They try me everytime and the last one who pushed it she regretted it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts