Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for asking advice on this forum is wrong.I have been visiting this bbs for a while now and I never noticed the banner about it being for pro's only until it was pasted onto a recent thread.
I understand that this place is a think tank for us folks in the biz but if you are going to take the time to give someone bad advice, good advice wouldnt take much longer.Or no advice.
By no means do I think we should offer up anything beneficial to a jackleg, but H.O.'s are allowed to do some things themselves.They end up calling us anyway after they realize they are in deep.
It is not "professional" to treat people like $hit just because they missed a banner.Far better for us as tradesmen to politely point out the purpose of this bbs and advise them to search a little further.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I guess I can attribute givingHO's bad advice to my sick sense of humor.

You don't have to agree with me.

I think it's all a mute point anyway. There was a request by the mods to cease the actvity and close the thread with no replys.

I guess it's all part of the kinder gentler PZ:blink:

Reactions: 22rifle

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Join the #1 Plumbers Forum Today - It's Totally Free!
PlumbingZone.com - Are you a Professional Plumbing Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for plumbers to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that PlumbingZone.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!
Join PlumbingZone.com - Click Here

SHEPPARD,

WHEN YOU VIEW THIS SITE BEFORE JOINING, THE BANNER ABOVE HITS DIRECTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE POSTING THE VIEWER IS LOOKING AT...ALONG WITH THE BANNER IN TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THIS SITE.

WE JUST HAD SOMEONE NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE DEFY LOGIC AND NOT ADHERE TO THIS.

FURTHERMORE, WHEN YOU REGISTER FOR AN ACCOUNT AT THIS WEBSITE, YOU ARE COMPLETELY ADVISED OF WHAT THIS SITE ENTAILS.

ANYONE, I MEAN ANYONE WHO WOULD PURPOSELY MISS THIS MANY STEPS TO BUCK THE SYSTEM PURPOSELY AND IN A SELFISH WAY GETS ANY TYPE OF RHETORIC, BAD ADVICE OR CYNICISM FROM THE BROTHEREN OF PLUMBERS.

YOU ARE EITHER WITH US OR NOT, WHICH IS IT.

AFTER A SHORT TALK WITH A GOOD MEMBER HERE, I WON'T BE PARTICIPATING ON THESE THREADS ANYMORE (pertaining to DIY'r posting threads) BUT I'D LIKE TO SAY THAT I NOW UNDERSTAND THE LOGIC.

BUT I CERTAINLY WON'T TAKE A FEEL SORRY ATTITUDE FOR ANYONE, ESPECIALLY WHEN THIS SITE HAS DONE MULTIPLE ATTEMPTS TO GUIDE THEM PROPERLY WHERE IT BELONGS.

IF YOU'RE THAT CONCERNED ABOUT THEM, JOIN THEM LIKE I DO ON NUMEROUS SITES, GIVING ADVICE.

AND I THOUGHT 22RIFLE'S ADVICE WAS PRETTY DAMN FUNNY. LOL

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
It is not "professional" to treat people like $hit just because they missed a banner.Far better for us as tradesmen to politely point out the purpose of this bbs and advise them to search a little further.
Screw 'em. Like someone posted, this is like a bikers bar, except not as gay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm with me.There is no us, with the exception that we share a trade.
I try not to say anything online that I wouldnt say to someone in person.
Like I said,I missed the banner.I was eager to get to the info.I took a pass on reading the rules and code of conduct also.I find that if I use the manners I was raised with I make more friends than enemies.
I dont view the H.O. as an adversary, and I certainly dont mind taking a few minutes to talk plumbing with anyone.Granted this is not the place for that, but I will follow my own rules when it comes to how I treat people.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts

I'm with me.There is no us, with the exception that we share a trade.
Like I said,I missed the banner.I was eager to get to the info.I took a pass on reading the rules and code of conduct also.I find that if I use the manners I was raised with I make more friends than enemies.

I dont view the H.O. as an adversary, and I certainly dont mind taking a few minutes to talk plumbing with anyone.Granted this is not the place for that, but I will follow my own rules when it comes to how I treat people.

Fair enough, you're a good man, something I can't be at all times in life.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
I just have a STUPID question, why in the world do we call them HO's , I know that means homeowners.......but ummm....

Don't plumbers own houses too?

Anyhow, Roast duck makes an excellent point as do many others,

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
It's like your mamma done told you. If'n you ain't got nothing nice to say about the man, don't say nothin at all.

I have a rule about giving advice to homeowners, even on other forums. One, I never ever give them advice having anything to do with gas or oil heating problems other than find a licensed professional. And when it comes to plumbing I will give service advice for minor repairs and try to persuade them to find a plumber for anything more complicated. If I really am honest about it, I hardly ever give helpfull advice to homeowners at all :whistling2:

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
....Granted this is not the place for that, but I will follow my own rules when it comes to how I treat people.

I do say it to their face.

Bottom line, this isn't the place for it. You will never find me in a DIY forum.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I also have a rule about giving advice to homeowners on message boards. If they ask, and I'm there, I will try and help if I can. I don't call homeowners idiots or try and degrade them. I will only tell them to call a plumber if it's very obvious they are way over their head. If it sounds like they may be capable of doing the repair I will help them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fair enough, you're a good man, something I can't be at all times in life.
The most any of us can do is our best.The worst we can do is our least.None of us(self included)are good people all of the time.Human nature I suppose.
I've garnered lots of knowledge from this site.I would like to offer some of my own but I find that everytime I visit there is someone here that has more knowledge and experience than I do.That is why I keep coming back.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
The most any of us can do is our best.The worst we can do is our least.None of us(self included)are good people all of the time.Human nature I suppose.
I've garnered lots of knowledge from this site.I would like to offer some of my own but I find that everytime I visit there is someone here that has more knowledge and experience than I do.That is why I keep coming back.
Were all ears here, post all you like, I'm sure you have something to offer that we all might be surprised to hear. :thumbsup:

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I used to be the guy logging thousands of posts on sites like theplumber.com just because I felt like I was doing a good deed by sharing my knowledge with someone in need. After many years I finally woke up, realizing people don't want plumbing advice so they can have the satisfaction of a job well done on their own home.

They want plumbing advice because we are too expensive in their minds for what they think we do. Anybody can do this stuff right? So they get on the net trying to save a buck. So they can spend it on other idiotic stuff in a futile effort to keep up with the Joneses.

By giving out free advice we are taking money out of the pockets of a real plumber trying to make a living in their town. That guy has probably been YOU and you never new it.

If folks still want to post DIY questions in a public professional forum they should be prepared to be flamed. As a rule on the many forums I frequent if some moron doesn't follow the rules they quickly go down in flames. That is the beauty of the internet. There is generally zero tolerance for morons who can't READ THE DIRECTIONS.

All that said, I'm happy to live in a country where we can publicly debate/argue. :thumbsup: Even if it the same argument every day.

Remember guys, tomorrow is Monday. By my calendar we are due to revisit the tankless debate. Then Tuesday will be Pro-press. Maybe Wednesday we can climb on the pex dead horse.

I challenge all of you this. Think up one fresh plumbing related topic for this coming weeks discussions. I will do the same. Thank you:)

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
huh? You say something, Ilplumber? How about that pex stuff, huh? Think it'll catch on? :laughing:

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
huh? You say something, Ilplumber? How about that pex stuff, huh? Think it'll catch on? :laughing:
Sorry, do you need cliff's notes version of my post. I didn't take into account the short attention span of plumbers when typing:laughing:

Oh look! Something shiny........................

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Just for asking advice on this forum is wrong.I have been visiting this bbs for a while now and I never noticed the banner about it being for pro's only until it was pasted onto a recent thread.
I understand that this place is a think tank for us folks in the biz but if you are going to take the time to give someone bad advice, good advice wouldnt take much longer.Or no advice.
By no means do I think we should offer up anything beneficial to a jackleg, but H.O.'s are allowed to do some things themselves.They end up calling us anyway after they realize they are in deep.
Unwad your panties man.

The goofy advice given is so outrageous, if anyone follows it they deserve the outcome.

Seriously man, I have not seen one single person give a homeowner bad advice or sabotage a homeowner except in a manner that was so far out, it would be obvious to almost everyone they were just goofing with them.

To claim it is actually true bad advice or sabotage is BS.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
There was a request by the mods to cease the actvity and close the thread with no replys.
I either missed it or forgot it. Link anyone?

I must admit, all the BS from non-plumbers here lately has me less tolerant than usual of DIYers. This is supposed to be a site for professional plumbers only. Then it was expanded to those who owned a plumbing business. Fine. Then it was expanded to those who those who are in a business connected to plumbing somehow. I mean, we have pool guys on here for crying out loud!

Now lately there is a lot more tolerance for non-plumbers to spout off a lot of BS. That ruins the place more than the PEX fights do. And I bet if the BS was kept off, everyone would be less on edge otherwise. Just a hunch and I may be wrong on that.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I've never caught on to the rationalization of banning DIYs but leaving their thread up to ridicule them. I feel everyone would be better served if the DIY was banned and their thread was deleted. When they came back to the site they would get a message saying they were banned because they are not a pro and it would be done. To leave the thread up for people to ridicule makes the site seem a little bit like Internet bullies.

Mark

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't agree with open flames of the less fortunate, but I agree completely with not allowing alot of these discussions making it out into the general public, there is a reason most of us served an apprenticeship. If we do not protect our trade it will be lost. And as far as DIY/Handyman types I say :censored: 'em all

I just don't get involved with giving advice away to non Plumbers, call me "old skool"

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
One of the reason we leave the thread visible and not delete it is so when they do log on either as a guest or a new member name, and they get back to seeing the thread they will see the mod message asking them to join the sister site, without that message they freak out and start sending PM's to Nathan, we want them to see we shut it down and linked them to the diy site. I would prefer to lock it down so we don't look like bullies as you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts