Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got plans for a job that has geothermal heating and cooling, and it got me thinking how many of you guys work with geothermal or would consider it.

Your thoughts?

thanks.

·
Banned
239 Posts
i work with a heating guy who does it he runs all the pipes in the field and if there is a water heater tied to it i do all the piping for that its a nice system i know its expensive

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I was thinking of doing my home with geo, I have 9 acres to burry pipe in. But never really got any further than thinking. I may do it this spring though.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I've done quite a bit of it. It's gets uber pricey. That unit better spit out quarters when it's running.

They make a great system though. I thought about it at my ponderosa but we went with scorched air .

·
Registered
14 Posts
You gotta be careful. There is a big up front cost to a geo. Alot of variables...field or well type. What spaces are you addressing. What are the deltas your trying to achieve. Location, location, location. Make sure you do your home work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Homework

#1 - Homework. Like most of the new energy efficient systems, they will pay off only if you do the math.
Eqipment is probably the most expensive part. Plus you'll need a ton of PEX tubing (3/4" IMO).
Check with RadiantPanelAssociation.org - they may have some useful literature on the website.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Its not going to become popular thats for sure , its way to labor intensive as well as not cost effective with today's economy.

There is not enough training or Push from the industry either

Its a nice thought and will just be like the whole "solar thing"

But I do like it, but as I said, The system is flawed.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
We piped 2 scools in 06 that used geothermal. There were 49 wells at each facility 200 feet deep piped in series used 1.5" fused poly looped down each well. $130,000 just to gets the holes poked with the loops grouted in.

I called a buddy of mine that does drilling and asked him for a bid. He was afraid his old rig didn't have 98 holes left in it. :laughing: He passed on it.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Lay it on me! I'm trying to get into it. It looks like you need a boring rig and fusion equipment to do it. Kinda pricey to get started.

I'll teach you everything you need to know:yes:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I've been told that non-cross linked polyethylene and poly propylene are usually the materials used in the ground loops. Pex would be fine, but I think it would add to much cost and for relatively tame pressures and temps that the loop is subjected to. The lower cost materials should work fine and I don't see the reason for going as heavy duty as pex for that application.

#1 - Homework. Like most of the new energy efficient systems, they will pay off only if you do the math.
Eqipment is probably the most expensive part. Plus you'll need a ton of PEX tubing (3/4" IMO).
Check with RadiantPanelAssociation.org - they may have some useful literature on the website.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
:rolleyes: :whistling2:

Its not going to become popular thats for sure , its way to labor intensive as well as not cost effective with today's economy.

There is not enough training or Push from the industry either

Its a nice thought and will just be like the whole "solar thing"

But I do like it, but as I said, The system is flawed.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
How is the drilling done? Do they sink a casing or just drop the loops in the hole and pour in bentonite(sp?) slurry?

We piped 2 scools in 06 that used geothermal. There were 49 wells at each facility 200 feet deep piped in series used 1.5" fused poly looped down each well. $130,000 just to gets the holes poked with the loops grouted in.

I called a buddy of mine that does drilling and asked him for a bid. He was afraid his old rig didn't have 98 holes left in it. :laughing: He passed on it.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I've plumbed a few houses that had geothermal heat and I'm about to start a couple more. The geo contractor I've worked with has a lot of experience. In fact, if he doesn't like what he sees in the mech drawings of a job as far as well location, piping and equipment go, he tries to convince them of the error of their ways. If that fails, he walks. BTW, his systems work. I have to agree with the points made about geo being a niche business. The need for deep pockets, ample land and the patience to wait for a far off return on investment definitely limit the marketplace.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
How is the drilling done? Do they sink a casing or just drop the loops in the hole and pour in bentonite(sp?) slurry?
Drilling was done with a regular water well rig. No casing.I believe the casing would inhibit heat trasfer. The grouting slurry is a special one that transfers heat very well. I would have to look up what it was. Don't forget to pressure test those loops before grouting:yes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts