Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
waiting on repair part I assume it is just casting with a built in handle will find out on the 23 the ETA for the repair part

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
waiting on repair part I assume it is just casting with a built in handle will find out on the 23 the ETA for the repair part
We keep a spare, complete drive assembly on the shelf. When the one I am using needs to be rebuilt I leave it on the workbench, put the spare on, and my manager rebuilds it then puts it on the shelf as the new spare.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
936 Posts
General makes good machines but they are tough and simple enough to make a field repair on and get the job done. I've cleared some doozies with mine.. even some a k1500 wouldn't touch.

Most of thier machines you can buy a smaller drum for and do branch lines with it too which is good for versatility. I run 5/8 100' and 98 percent of time its perfect..

Right now I'm using my k1500 as my go to because I've encountered some long runs lately for some reason..

But overall generals are good. I like the root ripper as line opener then progress to 3" rotary saw then to 2-4" rotary saw then to expansion cutter.. lines were usually good for years after.. also camera injection on almost every job..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks Venomthirst I really enjoy reading your posts. You have a lot of experience with drains. part of the reason I bought the general machine was how much you praised your General drum machine. for cleaning out root stoppages

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
936 Posts
Thanks Venomthirst I really enjoy reading your posts. You have a lot of experience with drains. part of the reason I bought the general machine was how much you praised your General drum machine. for cleaning out root stoppages
You wont be disappointed with it.. it will make you a lot of money. Drain your drum and use the general snake oil if you don't think you'll be using it for a bit.. or use it anyways really does keep you cables healthy.. liquid wd40 works good too.. don't use motor oil to thick and makes a mess also stinks

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Call General and ask them to explain the differences between the 92 and the XL.

I've actually been thinking about getting a new machine too because mine is a bit beat. If anything I might go with the Maxi-Rooter because it holds more cable. I don't like pushing 5/8" past 100' so I'd likely put 25' of 3/4" behind the 5/8".

Never used the XL. Looks identical to my 91/92. I looked at the specs and it holds the same amount of cable as my 91/92. Seems like slightly larger wheels and a slightly bigger motor. I have a hard time snaking 6" even with 3/4" cable so I don't know how they can claim it will clear 10".

I can't see anything being lighter than the 91/92 if that's important to you. Not sure how you'd make it better, maybe wheel chocks? We also have a Ridgid/Kollman K-750 which is a slightly taller/stiffer frame, it has wheel chocks, and a poly drum. I prefer the 91/92. Would be nice if the 91/92 had a poly drum I guess, not sure how durable that would be. Don't use the K-750 much, I just don't like it because it's taller in the van. Otherwise it's just as good as my 91/92.

View attachment 130247

View attachment 130246
View attachment 130248
The 750 doesn't have the inner drum if my memory is right,just the single drum,Marvin at AJ Coleman said your cable is more likely to flip in the750 single drum than it is in the K-7500 which has the inner and outer drum,I was looking at a k7500 but $ 3300.00 bucks is to much right now for me,also I don't think the general has the inner drum either

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
The 750 doesn't have the inner drum if my memory is right,just the single drum,Marvin at AJ Coleman said your cable is more likely to flip in the750 single drum than it is in the K-7500 which has the inner and outer drum,I was looking at a k7500 but $ 3300.00 bucks is to much right now for me,also I don't think the general has the inner drum either
The only time the cable has "flipped" in my 91 was when the back thrust bearing and washer were worn down so much that there was a gap behind the inner cage. I assume the inner cage on my 91's drum performs the same function as the inner drum you speak of on the Ridgid.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
The only time the cable has "flipped" in my 91 was when the back thrust bearing and washer were worn down so much that there was a gap behind the inner cage. I assume the inner cage on my 91's drum performs the same function as the inner drum you speak of on the Ridgid.
Can you run 5/8" cable also in the same drum In the general???

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Can you run 5/8" cable also in the same drum In the general???
Yes.

The drum isn't the limiting factor, it's the drive head. The standard drive head will easily do 5/8" through 3/4". You can probably work outside that range a little too. I think it might do 1/2" as well. I keep 100' of 5/8" in mine amd occasionally I run 3/4".

·
Registered
State of Michigan Master Plumber & Inspector
22 Posts
Not to dig up an old one boys, but I was on the phone with general. The speed rooter is the same as the 91 I think she said BUT the xl has a 3/4 hp motor instead of the half. The only difference between the speed XL and the maxi rooter is the casted frame. I wanted to order a speed XL but as of today they are build to order and 8 weeks out 😞

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
Not to dig up an old one boys, but I was on the phone with general. The speed rooter is the same as the 91 I think she said BUT the xl has a 3/4 hp motor instead of the half. The only difference between the speed XL and the maxi rooter is the casted frame. I wanted to order a speed XL but as of today they are build to order and 8 weeks out 😞
Slightly off topic. A friend of mine bought the new Milwaukee main line machine. He prefers the .66 which he had ordered two months before I talked to him. It was still on back order.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

The other difference is the 3/4hp is much more likely to trip a breaker ;)

Seriously, the 1/2hp can still break a cable and I almost never trip a breaker.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I have a k-6200 with an extra drum for sale if someone wants to drive to Michigan.… works good, but heavy AF!
Auto or Manual? What size cables?

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
Auto or Manual? What size cables?
5/8”x100’. One cable I assume is complete junk, the other has a kink at 67’. I would cut out 4” , coupling and weld, but I haven’t bought a welder yet. There’s a brass bushing on one of the barrels that needs to be replaced. Under $40 (pre Covid). I’ve been using the bad bushing, the outside is worn, so the drum bounces a bit. Doesn’t affect performance.
It’s a good machine, but it’s hard to get to that sweet spot just before cable failure. I’d swear it’s 75#s or more than the 300 with 100’ of .55.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
I’ve never even seen one! I’m in Michigan you think you could run 11/16” in it?
I don’t see why not, might be a bit tight with 100’… but worth a shot. I would assume that you would have a pig tail the same size. Wouldn’t hurt putting new bearings in it. They’re fine now. I probably have bearings for it. Never rebuilt the auto feed on this one, k-750 and 300, plenty of times.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts