Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
What do you guys think of the General Speed Rooter XL ?

Call General and ask them to explain the differences between the 92 and the XL.

I've actually been thinking about getting a new machine too because mine is a bit beat. If anything I might go with the Maxi-Rooter because it holds more cable. I don't like pushing 5/8" past 100' so I'd likely put 25' of 3/4" behind the 5/8".

Never used the XL. Looks identical to my 91/92. I looked at the specs and it holds the same amount of cable as my 91/92. Seems like slightly larger wheels and a slightly bigger motor. I have a hard time snaking 6" even with 3/4" cable so I don't know how they can claim it will clear 10".

I can't see anything being lighter than the 91/92 if that's important to you. Not sure how you'd make it better, maybe wheel chocks? We also have a Ridgid/Kollman K-750 which is a slightly taller/stiffer frame, it has wheel chocks, and a poly drum. I prefer the 91/92. Would be nice if the 91/92 had a poly drum I guess, not sure how durable that would be. Don't use the K-750 much, I just don't like it because it's taller in the van. Otherwise it's just as good as my 91/92.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Reactions: sparky

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought one on Craigslist in San Diego. Paid $700. for a slightly used machine with an extra drum the first drum looks like 7/8" cable the 2nd drum is smaller not sure possibly 5/8" cable. The guy who sold it to me. said they paid $2800. ( a busy plumbing company that went with Gorlitz and just wanted to get this out of the way) It also came with a auto feed I think I scored. I did not really need it I have quite a bit of drain cleaning equipment but for the price. He was asking $800 I offered 700 and he said come on down and get it so I did. It is really heavy and solidly built with the welded frame.4 drains and it should be paid for.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
funny I do not really see any owner reviews of General drum machines. Except for the company reviews? I know there are a few members here who really like the General 91 - 92 speed rooters.
can't beat the kinetic water ram or the hand held drill snake they are bulletproof in my opinion. I also have a T3 rooter tried to use it on kitchen drains cable seems too stiff would not go down the drain that well. So back to the old K50 for kitchen drains.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have the speed rooter 92 and love it. I can't remember now if it was the maxi or xl that I was also looking at. It seemed like the same exact machine as the 92 with the exception that it was much easier to take off the drum to put a second drum on. Then the other one of those 2 were basically that plus bigger motor. I would go with the one that's the same as the 92 but quick drum disconnect.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Barely used and some cutters in the tool box. haven't tested it out just brought it home and unloaded from my truck the sucker is heavy.

·
Super Moderator
9,759 Posts
I just bought one on Craigslist in San Diego. Paid $700. for a slightly used machine with an extra drum the first drum looks like 7/8" cable the 2nd drum is smaller not sure possibly 5/8" cable. The guy who sold it to me. said they paid $2800. ( a busy plumbing company that went with Gorlitz and just wanted to get this out of the way) It also came with a auto feed I think I scored. I did not really need it I have quite a bit of drain cleaning equipment but for the price. He was asking $800 I offered 700 and he said come on down and get it so I did. It is really heavy and solidly built with the welded frame.4 drains and it should be paid for.
You made out good! I don’t need an extra machine, but I would’ve bought it. Nice thing is, you don’t have to bother with basement stairs! Better than the sh!t slinging machine you have in the background!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks but that was the shop that I bought it from they prefer the Gorlitz. True closed drum is cleaner as long as it is not full of rusty water. That is one advantage of open drums they let the cable dry quickly and they do make a folding splash guard to put around the machine if you need it. I am happy with the purchase. Two drums 100' of 3/4" cable and 100 feet of 1/2" cable. Thanks Again

·
Super Moderator
9,759 Posts
Thanks but that was the shop that I bought it from they prefer the Gorlitz. True closed drum is cleaner as long as it is not full of rusty water. That is one advantage of open drums they let the cable dry quickly and they do make a folding splash guard to put around the machine if you need it. I am happy with the purchase. Two drums 100' of 3/4" cable and 100 feet of 1/2" cable. Thanks Again
I used mytana? When I was in SoCal. Even with the stupid try fold guards half your time was spent cleaning up.

You did good on this buy!

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
...........True closed drum is cleaner as long as it is not full of rusty water. ............
Looks like you got a great deal!!!! It's almost identical to my 91/92 which I like a lot.

It ain't messy if you just tilit it back and drain it outside before putting it back in the van. If there is still water you can use your toilet sucker. Squirt an oz or so of snake oil in every time you put it away.

You'll see there are two holes on the back of the drum, one has a bolt through it, make sure the open hole is rotated up when you're moving it. That's the drain hole. Rotate the drum so the hole is down and tilt it back to drain the drum.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looked at my drain cleaner a little more carefully and pugged it in was very quiet I like the electric switch over the air switch myself seems more dependable than I looked at the power feed and noticed the handle was broken off? I called General tool and wanted to replace the broken parts. The rep told me it was a design change about 3 years ago and it might be a warrantee replacement So i took a picture of the broken auto feed and the seral number and emailed it to the rep. He told me the machine was a little over a year old and because of the break in the casting he would warrantee it and send a new part out. at no charge. The machine is so heavy my guess the last owner used the handle as leverage to pull the machine and broke it off?

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
............. I like the electric switch over the air switch myself seems more dependable .........
It's not more dependable. You want an air switch.

I've had several air switches get pinholes in the foot piece or hose. That is noting, just carry a spare. Our K-750 has an electric foot pedal. If there's water on the floor then the pedal will trip the GFCI because it isn't waterproof. Much more annoying than a foot pedal with a pinhole.

How often do you snake a basement c.o. when there is water on the floor because a washer standpipe or basement toilet overflowed? Electric foot pedal in that scenario renders the machine inoperable. Or you have to put it up on a block and then you're standing funny. Water from your boots can drip into it. I had to tape mine up to the frame of the machine and use my knee.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
..........He told me the machine was a little over a year old and because of the break in the casting he would warrantee it and send a new part out. at no charge. The machine is so heavy my guess the last owner used the handle as leverage to pull the machine and broke it off?
Or they pulled it up a hill sideways and it rolled over, happened to me yesterday. Or they dropped the machine down a couple stairs and the handle hit a wall, happened to my helper a couple months ago.

• Sad
Reactions: MACPLUMB777
1 - 20 of 40 Posts