Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this unit at the trade show and talked to the national sales rep ( the guy who is on a lot of the you tube videos for General Pipe Cleaners. he told me that General was also in negotiations with "Clod Dog" and Clog Dog decided to go with Ridgid. So the General Flexi Rooter is designed by General. What I like about The General flex shaft unit is that is has a built in motor and a foot switch. is is 100' long. (The motor is just a grinder motor). Got a sturdy cart with wheels a folding handle, you can operate it on its side or standing up. It has easy to replace parts and is field serviceable The price is really good $3000.

I spoke to Picote They had three models on display The similar capacity unit was about 6 grand. Picote rep told me that other manufactures just rebadged there units and sold them like Spartan and others.

I have no experience with flex shaft units I have tried my hand at making my own flex shaft cables with mixed results. Has anybody used the General flex rooter and what do they think of it?

Or any other flex shaft systems?

·
Registered
210 Posts
So I have the Spartan mini cleaner. It is 50’ long and with the appropriate chains I can clean 4” down to 1 1/4”.

I would ask yourself how much do you plan on using it? Daily? Weekly? Etc. if you are going to use it daily, spend the money on the general, Spartan, or Picote. If it is less frequent, get something like the Ridgid-204 or what ever size( the 204 is the size it’s rated for 2”-4”) The ridgid flex shaft is going for $900+

An alternative would be the CustomEyes 5/16” x 50’ kit. It is powered by your drill and has capacity from 1 1/4” to 4” depending on chains that you have installed. It is listed on their website for $500+

So the question is how deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go. Personally, I wish I would have got the custom eyes set up as I really don’t use mine daily.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Looks like price went up $860 on E-bay. You are right a cheap way to try a real factor flex shaft out.
Idk about eBay but the company website is way cheaper

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a question about flex shaft, the units that have the electric drill motor spin around while you pull out the cable, how do they do that? Some kind of an electrical coupler that rotates, does anyone know where you can purchase one to make your own. I have a steel general wire and spring camera reel with wheels I would like to make a flex shaft carrier with a built in motor. I know I can use a battery motor to do the same think, thanks guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought the Ridgid 204 about a year ago and the guys are just starting to understand what a great machine it is. Lots of resistance at first, but for finishing a drain once you cleared it or scraping out all that hard grease crust nothing does better job! The Ridgid 204 only goes about 40 or 50 feet and will not push through a lot of bends either, but on straight pipe it will go the full 60 feet. I often run the camera right behind it and tape the cables together for extra rigidity and that will help. Been very happy with it, get the chains with the blades on them!
This is really for 3 inch drain and smaller, obviously for longer main sewer lines you're going to need a bigger machine.
Tim Whistler

1 - 10 of 10 Posts