Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my state, all you have to do is to say you're a GC and Whamo! You're a GC! You can imagine the bozo stuff that goes on here.

Last year, the state really pushed hard to get all the specialty trades to claim GC status in order to get more money next year and lessen the amount of paper work. Now almost everyone is a GC.

Since I'm now a GC, when someother GC calls and asks for a bid, I in turn ask him to bid for me, as I'm a GC, too!

Great fun, but between you and me....I'm rather embarrassed about being a GC, so I don't advertise it. I mean, I spent my entire life learning plumbing, why would I want to be classified as a GC?

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Why not expand out then, since you live in a small town and outsource what you dont know that much about to subs? If I had that kind of classification, and the plumbing wasn't booming, it would be an option to explore. But, everybody's different.

·
Registered
843 Posts
They've started to register GCs in my state and it's sort of voluntary. There are a lot of unregistered ones. But I haven't heard of any plumbers becoming GCs. How, exactly, does one get more money? Is there a GC bailout going on?

·
Registered
384 Posts
we have all sorts being GCs here now too. Majorly unorganized. scheduling is out to lunch. i usually take the reins and do all the mechanical sched.s so my guys can get in and out more streamlined. good thing is they pay me on the spot so i guess you gotta take the good with the bad.:thumbsup:

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Our GC have to show 4-years working as a Journeyman and take a Contractors test just like everyone else.

Mark

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our GC have to show 4-years working as a Journeyman and take a Contractors test just like everyone else.

Mark
4 years experience as a Journey Burger Flipper at McDonalds?

What does the test consist of? 10 questions on how to grow a gut and 100 questions cellphone usage while driving a oversized 4x4 with a little magnetic sign saying "Constructors Construction! We Thread Balls!" ?

Reactions: Protech

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
"What does the test consist of? 10 questions on how to grow a gut and 100 questions cellphone usage while driving a oversized 4x4 with a little magnetic sign saying "Constructors Construction! We Thread Balls!" ?"

:icon_lol::laughing::lol:

·
4,710 Posts
4 years experience as a Journey Burger Flipper at McDonalds?

What does the test consist of? 10 questions on how to grow a gut and 100 questions cellphone usage while driving a oversized 4x4 with a little magnetic sign saying "Constructors Construction! We Thread Balls!" ?
It sounds like you must be from a really lax State when it comes to licensing. I guess it keeps people working but it's often a recipe for disaster.

In California you need to prove 4-years working as a Journeyman in the trade which is defined as a person who has completed an apprenticeship program or is an experienced worker, not a trainee, and is fully qualified and able to perform a specific trade without supervision.

As far as the test it is broken down into two parts. The first part consist of Business Law and Contractor Law while the second part is based on the Trades. As a General Contractor it is for the most part structural loading and foundations but also includes material take offs and estimating. In addition, to building type questions they add a little on roofing, fenestration, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, painting and other specialty trades.

Mark

·
4,710 Posts
Okay I went to your State and looked around and I almost cannot believe how lax it is. If I'm not mistaken there is not even a test to be a Contractor. It looks like the few trades which require testing only test to a Journeyman level and that's it. Then once you're a Journeyman it's simply a matter of registering as a Contractor without any testing involved. Is that it or am I missing something?

Mark

·
master of disaster
758 Posts
plumber and gc

the differance between a plumber and a gc is:

PLUMBERS HAVE A BIGGER TOOL YEA BABY! LEAK 1.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
In Ca, you do not need 4 years of trade experience for a B license. Anyone can study and pass the test and you are a GC. Most of those guys are dry. They do not ever pick up a tool, just a phone. They sub everything and as long as they have 3 different trades going on at the same job they are good to go. A GC cannot do a repipe alone. They can do a repipe - a rewire - and pour a new driveway however.

4 years of journey work allows one to take a specialized trade test. I have worked for a few a few of these dry guys and it is usually a mess. One does not need real world experience to become a general contractor in CA

·
4,710 Posts
In Ca, you do not need 4 years of trade experience for a B license. Anyone can study and pass the test and you are a GC. Most of those guys are dry. They do not ever pick up a tool, just a phone. They sub everything and as long as they have 3 different trades going on at the same job they are good to go. A GC cannot do a repipe alone. They can do a repipe - a rewire - and pour a new driveway however.

4 years of journey work allows one to take a specialized trade test. I have worked for a few a few of these dry guys and it is usually a mess. One does not need real world experience to become a general contractor in CA
That's only partially true. California requires proof of four years working as a Journeyman Carpenter or the equilvalant. The proof includes Union card or affidavits and tax records or a Contractors license from another State. As a General Contractor you are permitted to permit/perform 3 or more non related trades as long as one includes framing. However, they are never permitted to do well digging or fire protection and in some jurisdictions they will not let you do Plumbing, HVAC or Electrical. That doesn't mean some have not cheated their way in or have not paid for an RMO. I too have worked for GC who had no business being licensed. In recent years the CSLB has increase the scrutiny of work experience which has helped some.

Mark

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay I went to your State and looked around and I almost cannot believe how lax it is. If I'm not mistaken there is not even a test to be a Contractor. It looks like the few trades which require testing only test to a Journeyman level and that's it. Then once you're a Journeyman it's simply a matter of registering as a Contractor without any testing involved. Is that it or am I missing something?

Mark
That's right. You must hire Journeyman to do the work, though. There's one ol' plumber who racked up $25,000.00 in fines in '08 for this violation.

The laxness of the GC laws is what brought all the California speculators up here during the boom. Man, what a mess. Their work will keep us repair plumbers busy for decades. I lobbied for a big fence around state to keep them out, but the State was making too much in fines. :laughing:

·
4,710 Posts
I noticed you can test for your Residential Specialty (Service Plumber) Certificate after completing a 6,000 hours Apprenticeship. After obtaining a Residential Specialty Certificate do you just pay a fee and get all of your bonds and insurance and you can apply for a Contractors License? I also noticed they have an Apprenticeship program for drain cleaning (great idea). For a drain cleaner to get a Contractor's License would they test as a Residential Specialty (Service Plumber)?

Mark

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I noticed you can test for your Residential Specialty (Service Plumber) Certificate after completing a 6,000 hours Apprenticeship. After obtaining a Residential Specialty Certificate do you just pay a fee and get all of your bonds and insurance and you can apply for a Contractors License? I also noticed they have an Apprenticeship program for drain cleaning (great idea). For a drain cleaner to get a Contractor's License would they test as a Residential Specialty (Service Plumber)?

Mark
There's no such thing as a "Contractors License". You have to register as a construction company, but anyone can be anything as long as you hire properly licensed workers. And be registered as a company

Keep in mind that the real, established businesses protect the terriorty and the Licensing Board tracks down violators every single day. I wasn't kidding about the 25k in fines for one registered plumbing company had last year.

Our Craigslist is very clean because we report violators for not having a business license. If the ad persists, the violator gets a very hard time.

Reactions: ToUtahNow

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Hmmm, GC's are great, they think they know everything, they use Home Depot tradesman then blame equipment and product when it fails. Even though it wasn't installed properly.

Fun times, I can't stand GC's and will never work for one, or become one.

Their license test covers a little of everything, just like their knowledge, but they believe because they have the license that they know everything there is to know about every trade.

·
4,710 Posts
Hmmm, GC's are great, they think they know everything, they use Home Depot tradesman then blame equipment and product when it fails. Even though it wasn't installed properly.

Fun times, I can't stand GC's and will never work for one, or become one.

Their license test covers a little of everything, just like their knowledge, but they believe because they have the license that they know everything there is to know about every trade.

Wait, who do you work for when you are doing new construction and remodels? I have made millions working for GC in the past and can't imagine not work for any GC. They are not all bad.

Mark

1 - 20 of 32 Posts