Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a sewer cam from General Wire and Spring Co. Bad experience. Cost $10,000. The footage counter did not work on the machine they sent, so they had me send it to a repair shop in Houston, TX. It came back to me with a short and the lights did not work. They had me send it out again. This time they severly bent the haddle to fit into a box to ship it back to me, and the lights still don't work properly. I spoke with one of the owners at General Wire. They will not replace the unit because they claim it was damaged in shipping and that's my fault. Bottom line, I paid for a new unit and this is what I ended up with. Just want to warn others to beware of this company.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. I've found general to have terrible customer service. I really don't know how they've managed to stay in business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do a lot of advertizing. You will see their ads in all the contracting magazines. They offered the best warranty in the business, two years. That's why I decided to go with them. I figured that if they were willing to stand behind their product for that long, it must be good. I learned my lesson and you are right, the customers service sucks.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
THATS JUST WRONG!!!!!!!!!
If it was perfect like it was to be in the 1st place this would not have happened.
I feel for you and I wouldn't quite calling until they make it right. Thats $10k of your $ they are playing with.
I will not own General stuff. I like my Spartan rep who calls on me. I get good service and if there is a fault, fixed:thumbsup:
GOOD LUCK!

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
That is terrible customer service. I am sorry for you to have to put up with it.

Mark

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
My General rep here seems to be a great guy. Just met him today and I gotta say. Great first impression. Guess we'll see, but so far so good. Of course I could always go see the Ridgid rep at HD! They will special order any Ridgid tool you want. Another ploy to get the Plumbers to go in with unifrms on. I only but non-plumbing relateds there (read Lumber). And never with my company shirt on.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Maybe a thought is you could send a link to this thread to General. Maybe the bad publicity might cause them to make good on their warranty?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Recently purchased a sewer cam from General Wire and Spring Co. Bad experience. Cost $10,000. The footage counter did not work on the machine they sent, so they had me send it to a repair shop in Houston, TX. It came back to me with a short and the lights did not work. They had me send it out again. This time they severly bent the haddle to fit into a box to ship it back to me, and the lights still don't work properly. I spoke with one of the owners at General Wire. They will not replace the unit because they claim it was damaged in shipping and that's my fault. Bottom line, I paid for a new unit and this is what I ended up with. Just want to warn others to beware of this company.
We have one at the shop and they tried to pull the same crap. We have a large camera and a smalller one. The smaller one would short out and go blank when you go way down a line. We sent it back a few times and they said nothing was wrong with it. I finally made the rep go with me to run a line. Its fixed now but it was a real PITA to get it done.... I hate to hear it bro.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
If a company took me for 10k, it would be my new life purpose to tell every single plumber I met what a rip off they are. I would even go to the cleaner show just to tell everyone what a crappy company they are.

·
pro2008
10 Posts
Have you ever thought of looking into Mytana Cameras? I have used them for 10 yrs now. Each year they improve there equipment. There service is excellant. I use the nava trac for locating
pro2008

·
pro2008
10 Posts
camera

I know you have $10,000 tied up but in the future you may want to look into Mytana equipment. I have had there cameras for ten years now. each year they improve there cameras. There service is excellant. I have 3 big ones and one mini camera. I do use the nava trac locater for locating the camera head.
Pro2008
www.dalestrenchless.com

·
Registered
584 Posts
If a company took me for 10k, it would be my new life purpose to tell every single plumber I met what a rip off they are. I would even go to the cleaner show just to tell everyone what a crappy company they are.
I did it for 1200 with a gun I bought, I don't like to let people get away with things like that. I bought a numbers matching K98 from a local gun store, took it home, took it apart and found out it was fake, the parts had been re-numbered to match. So it's actually worth about 300 bucks. So the next day I took it back and spoke to the owner who said I was SOL. He had all kinds of excuses, "I never said it was matching, my employee did, I'm not responsible for that" was my favorite. I said "I'm a plumber, if I flood your house can my boss say he isn't responsible since his employee did it?". With that he tells me to get out and walks away.
It cost him an Ar-15 sale on the spot. A guy in there walked out with me and asked me what our little argument was about. I explained it and he left to go buy it at another store I recommended. I've since spread that word at gun ranges and to friends. I know for a fact I've cost him just under 10k in sales. On the other side of the coin I've sent thousands of dollars worth of buisness to another guy I use who is fair and honest.
Being a jerk might make you a couple bucks up front but in the long run it's going to screw you. But I think most of us know that already.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I did it for 1200 with a gun I bought, I don't like to let people get away with things like that. I bought a numbers matching K98 from a local gun store, took it home, took it apart and found out it was fake, the parts had been re-numbered to match. So it's actually worth about 300 bucks. So the next day I took it back and spoke to the owner who said I was SOL. He had all kinds of excuses, "I never said it was matching, my employee did, I'm not responsible for that" was my favorite. I said "I'm a plumber, if I flood your house can my boss say he isn't responsible since his employee did it?". With that he tells me to get out and walks away.
It cost him an Ar-15 sale on the spot. A guy in there walked out with me and asked me what our little argument was about. I explained it and he left to go buy it at another store I recommended. I've since spread that word at gun ranges and to friends. I know for a fact I've cost him just under 10k in sales. On the other side of the coin I've sent thousands of dollars worth of buisness to another guy I use who is fair and honest.
Being a jerk might make you a couple bucks up front but in the long run it's going to screw you. But I think most of us know that already.
You could easily have sued the guy. He ripped you off big-time. At least you fought back, good work.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I am so so glad to have found this.... I am one to two weeks from purchasing camera equipt. I was looking at ordering general. and yess 10,000 is the digits on the machine. Our local ridgid is not that great. Any other suggestions or experiences. I have never heard of mytana. I know that in some cases with other tools they are is good as the rep that services your area.

·
Wrenchboy
25 Posts
Hey Gang

Check out the Rothenberger stuff.

Made in Germany

More sturdy ,reliable,,,,

Repair cost are MUCH CHEAPER THAN RIDGID

They have great CORDLESS UNITS,,,YES CORDLESS

IMHO General make a pretty good top snake but thats it brothers.I would be furious with that kind of treatment and response from customer service!!!!

My Best
Dave Doyle:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts