Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently noticed our unit had stopped softening the water.

After that, I mistakenly increased the water hardness level from 16 to 20 (setting is usually 12). The next day we noticed there was water sitting in the brine tank. I drained the tank and started a regeneration cycle. I then noticed that the water was coming out the drain line directly into the floor drain. There was no water going into the brine tank at all. I checked and cleaned both the nozzle and venturi hose as well as the float assembly just in case there was any blockage.

I took out the head of the unit too, and the tank resin was full to the top. The O' ring at the top of the distribution tube was also gone, if there was any.

Additionally, I have to keep the unit in bypass mode all the time, otherwise the water would be leaking into the floor drain.

I wonder if there is anyone out there with any insight as to what the issue may be with the unit.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any exclusive private member's rule I broke here? Or is it maybe a plumber's club hidden message?
Whatever it is, if it is that I broke any of your membership rules, just let me know about it.
Maybe I am able to join the fun and enjoy your cat's paw as well.

If the reference you are making is the "Monkey and the Cat" fable, I am afraid to tell you that I have already contacted several plumbers who have refused to fix the unit. They have charged me for just looking at the unit, and advised me to replace it. They have offered to do so for over $300 bucks. As you can see, I have taken down and troubleshooted the issue without any level of difficulty. I am willing to pay someone to fix the issue. Unfortunately, most plumbers won't spend time fixing small issues like these one (If it is in deed a big issue!) since they won't make big bucks for the job.

In the past, and with a good diagnosis, I have been able to change motor valves, O' rings, seals, rotor disks, resin in the tank, you name it. I did not come to this forum to take advantage of anybody's knowledge about water softener machines. I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable and handy person. I was just expecting someone with a bit of expertise to give me ideas or perhaps some diagnosis on the machine. That way, I would not be forced to get rid of a barely five-year-old machine that have been working flawlessly until now.

I just did not expect to find smart ass references and comments bordering cockiness and disrespect from people who are supposedly willing to help forum members with ideas.

With some help and advice from some good people willing to help, I have narrowed the problem to a couple of issues so far. I also ordered a new unit that I can always return, if I am unable to fix the unit after all. Fortunately, I will install it myself, and won't need anyone like you trying to rip me off or take my money so easily.

So, no, I am not screwed. I am actually feeling better now, knowing that the forum is full of sharks like you. I take all you care about is making big money and filling your pockets at someone else's expense like ruthless, greedy and dishonest pigs.

·
Super Moderator
9,759 Posts
Is there any exclusive private member's rule I broke here? Or is it maybe a plumber's club hidden message?
Whatever it is, if it is that I broke any of your membership rules, just let me know about it.

If the reference you are making is the "Monkey and the Cat" fable, I am afraid to tell you that I have already contacted several plumbers who have refused to fix the unit. They have charged me for just looking at the unit, and advised me to replace it. They have offered to do so for over $300 bucks. As you can see, I have taken down and troubleshooted the issue without any level of difficulty. I am willing to pay someone to fix the issue. Unfortunately, most plumbers won't spend time fixing small issues like these one (If it is in deed a big issue!) since they won't make big bucks for the job.

In the past, and with a good diagnosis, I have been able to change motor valves, O' rings, seals, rotor disks, resin in the tank, you name it. I did not come to this forum to take advantage of anybody's knowledge about water softener machines. I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable and handy person. I was just expecting someone with a bit of expertise to give me ideas or perhaps some diagnosis on the machine. That way, I would not be forced to get rid of a barely five-year-old machine that have been working flawlessly until now.

I just did not expect to find smart ass references and comments bordering cockiness and disrespect from people who are supposedly willing to help forum members with ideas.

With some help and advice from some good people willing to help, I have narrowed the problem to a couple of issues so far. I also ordered a new unit that I can always return, if I am unable to fix the unit after all. Fortunately, I will install it myself, and won't need anyone like you trying to rip me off or take my money so easily.

So, no, I am not screwed. I am actually feeling better now, knowing that the forum is full of sharks like you. I take all you care about is making big money and filling your pockets at someone else's expense like ruthless, greedy and dishonest pigs.
Yes, you need to post an intro describing what part of the trade you’re involved in, residential service, new construction, commercial, industrial, the office girl, retired…. Lots of facets of the trade are welcome here.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,669 Posts
the prob here is you ignored our forums rules,
This site is for Professional plumbers only, and you must post an intro before posting in any other forum.

that being said you’re not going to get any info handed out here And here is why:

I don’t work for free-
I’ve spent 25+ years and 10’s of thousands of dollars- studying, getting my plumbing lic, city contractor lic, and master lic, jumping through hoops, paying yearly lic’ing fees, a bunch of dif types of insurance, so I could build a legit business that employs workers- a safe work place where they are happy and make a decent living so they can support their families.
I also have an apprentice so I’m passing on my years off knowledge and expertise, to the next generation.
I have a lot of financial responsibilities for myself, my business and my employees.
I aslo have a family.. all of this cost a lot of time and money.
-So don’t jump down our throats here, in a place where YOU don’t belingignored our rules, then ***** at us for not helping you calling us greedy pigs.

I don’t work for free, and I bet my first born you don’t either.

So next time you need a tradesperson and think “we charge too much or don’t want to fix piddily things for peanuts”, think about all the time, and money spent, that a business owner has put in to run a legit safe business.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Is there any exclusive private member's rule I broke here? .................

Tits or GTFO.

They must be yours.

·
Super Moderator
9,759 Posts
the prob here is you ignored our forums rules,
This site is for Professional plumbers only, and you must post an intro before posting in any other forum.

that being said you’re not going to get any info handed out here And here is why:

I don’t work for free-
I’ve spent 25+ years and 10’s of thousands of dollars- studying, getting my plumbing lic, city contractor lic, and master lic, jumping through hoops, paying yearly lic’ing fees, a bunch of dif types of insurance, so I could build a legit business that employs workers- a safe work place where they are happy and make a decent living so they can support their families.
I also have an apprentice so I’m passing on my years off knowledge and expertise, to the next generation.
I have a lot of financial responsibilities for myself, my business and my employees.
I aslo have a family.. all of this cost a lot of time and money.
-So don’t jump down our throats here, in a place where YOU don’t belingignored our rules, then * at us for not helping you calling us greedy pigs.

I don’t work for free, and I bet my first born you don’t either.

So next time you need a tradesperson and think “we charge too much or don’t want to fix piddily things for peanuts”, think about all the time, and money spent, that a business owner has put in to run a legit safe business.
You have no heart!

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,891 Posts

The GE water softener is a peice of junk.... I turn down these go-nowhere jobs every day
Most plumbers do not have the time to play patty-cakes with you over something they know
will most likely turn into a can of worms and never work properly....

and no one worth their salt is going to spend their day working for you for peanuts
when they could be out doing productive good paying jobs---

if those plumbers that you say charged you to come out and look at your junk were honest ,
they would have told this to you over the phone and not
come out and charged you to look at it....

you realize that those units are so dirt cheap that you could buy a new one for less than attempting to
find parts , waste your day or weekend attempting to repair it ??

good luck

good luck
Jaw Organism Gesture Art Font

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
276 Posts
I am afraid to tell you that I have already contacted several plumbers who have refused to fix the unit. They have charged me for just looking at the unit, and advised me to replace it. They have offered to do so for over $300 bucks. As you can see, I have taken down and troubleshooted the issue without any level of difficulty. I am willing to pay someone to fix the issue. Unfortunately, most plumbers won't spend time fixing small issues like these one (If it is in deed a big issue!) since they won't make big bucks for the job.
If you are as technically inclined as you say you are, then you know both that experience is a valuable thing, and that just because something can be repaired doesn't mean that it is cost effective to do so. Most likely the experience of those plumbers has taught them that repairing that unit is a waste of time and money and you are better off putting that cash towards a new unit. The hardest thing to learn in service plumbing is when to not take something apart, cut your losses, and just replace the dang thing.

As for the complaint about them charging you just to look at it, I challenge you to find any reputable (non-commission based) shop in any given trade that won't charge some sort of fee for a visual assessment.

I'll also say that I was a commercial facility maintenance tech for years before I became a plumber, so I know where you're coming from. But even I knew when I was out of my league and when it was time to call in a professional (read: licensed and insured company).

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,669 Posts
If you are as technically inclined as you say you are, then you know both that experience is a valuable thing, and that just because something can be repaired doesn't mean that it is cost effective to do so. Most likely the experience of those plumbers has taught them that repairing that unit is a waste of time and money and you are better off putting that cash towards a new unit. The hardest thing to learn in service plumbing is when to not take something apart, cut your losses, and just replace the dang thing.

As for the complaint about them charging you just to look at it, I challenge you to find any reputable (non-commission based) shop in any given trade that won't charge some sort of fee for a visual assessment.

I'll also say that I was a commercial facility maintenance tech for years before I became a plumber, so I know where you're coming from. But even I knew when I was out of my league and when it was time to call in a professional (read: licensed and insured company).
well said!

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I get it. No need for the sarcasm though. I thought I was in just a regular forum like any other I am part of. My fault for missing the rules. It would have been easier if you had brought up the rule situation at first. I obviously missed that part. We could have avoided the whole misunderstanding.
It's all good, I got the help needed anyway! A reputable and honest plumber reached out to me after I posted my whole experience in a local site. The repair was nothing near the hundreds of dollars I had been asked by other plumbers for such a simple fix. And yes, they were not honest plumbers, which was the reason why he felt bad and decided to come and do the job for me. He feels embarrassed for business like those giving plumbers a bad name.
We both agreed that it was upsetting having a licensed plumber diagnose the unit was not repairable. One of these licensed companies asked to repair the unit for $400 plus materials. A second one recommended I replace it for a new one, for which they would charge me $350.00 to just install it (the pipes are already installed). They both left with over $100.00 just to look at it.
It took him less than 20 minutes, plus some time he spent giving me advices about how to take care of the machine, including the resin tank. He also recommended not replacing the unit, since it was in perfect condition, according to his assessment.
I ended up paying this person much more than what he was charging me just for offering to come out and help me. In return, I got a lot of info about both water softeners and the industry malpractices. He got a loyal new customer for life who will recommend his services to many in the future.
At the end, the water softener is back working, which is what matters!
But again, it's all good! My apologies for getting into the wrong forum to you all.
Peace!

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,891 Posts
Time well spent! We appreciate it. Good night.
Well....lets wait a while and see if it was time well spent....

Those GE units are basically throw away water softener after about 6 years --at least
in our region.... I dont see where he mentioned how old his unit was, and in our
region the extremely cheap mineral bed used in those units begins to break down due to the chlorine
in the water....

yes the water softener is back and working--- for now.....

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Well....lets wait a while and see if it was time well spent....

Those GE units are basically throw away water softener after about 6 years --at least
in our region.... I dont see where he mentioned how old his unit was, and in our
region the extremely cheap mineral bed used in those units begins to break down due to the chlorine
in the water....

yes the water softener is back and working--- for now.....
My thoughts exactly,I give it a week at the most

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
276 Posts
I get it. No need for the sarcasm though. I thought I was in just a regular forum like any other I am part of. My fault for missing the rules. It would have been easier if you had brought up the rule situation at first. I obviously missed that part. We could have avoided the whole misunderstanding.
It's all good, I got the help needed anyway! A reputable and honest plumber reached out to me after I posted my whole experience in a local site. The repair was nothing near the hundreds of dollars I had been asked by other plumbers for such a simple fix. And yes, they were not honest plumbers, which was the reason why he felt bad and decided to come and do the job for me. He feels embarrassed for business like those giving plumbers a bad name.
We both agreed that it was upsetting having a licensed plumber diagnose the unit was not repairable. One of these licensed companies asked to repair the unit for $400 plus materials. A second one recommended I replace it for a new one, for which they would charge me $350.00 to just install it (the pipes are already installed). They both left with over $100.00 just to look at it.
It took him less than 20 minutes, plus some time he spent giving me advices about how to take care of the machine, including the resin tank. He also recommended not replacing the unit, since it was in perfect condition, according to his assessment.
I ended up paying this person much more than what he was charging me just for offering to come out and help me. In return, I got a lot of info about both water softeners and the industry malpractices. He got a loyal new customer for life who will recommend his services to many in the future.
At the end, the water softener is back working, which is what matters!
But again, it's all good! My apologies for getting into the wrong forum to you all.
Peace!
You'll likely never read this, but for the benefit of other folks that stumble onto our site via Google, here's a bit more advice:

Just because a given price is higher than you like doesn't mean the trade is dishonest or that there is malpractice going on. Every companies price model is different, and larger companies tend to have more overhead than one man operations. The company I work for would charge you roughly $400 to service a water softener, so that price doesn't seem unreasonable, though without knowing exactly what they were going to do I couldn't tell you more.

Which brings me to my next point. When comparing prices you must compare apples to apples. A brass valve is more expensive than a CPVC valve, a no name faucet from the hardware store is less than a mid range Delta faucet.

All that to say that most of us are honest business folks that know exactly what we need to make and arent out to rip people off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts