Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday all

My name is Ben and im from Brisbane which is in Australia. I am a Licenced plumber, drainer, gasfitter and have been in the game for 16 years.Over that time I have worked in many different aspects of the trade,about a year ago i start work as an plumbing inspector for the Brisbane City Council.My job includes site inspections,plan approval and investigations,in the state of Queensland of which Brisbane is the capital plumbers must have there work inspected and tested before it is covered.These stages are,under slab and drain,water rough in and stack work and final completion,we have an excellent system in which high standards are maintained because of the mandatory inspections(Plumbing work must comply with the Plumbing and drainage act 2002 which is a state law)i would be interested to know if the indusrty in the USA is as highly regulated as ours?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Welcome aboard Mate, to answer your question. For those of us contractors that abide by proper rules and regulations yes we are highly regulated. In my State FL on a typical residential there is a number of inspections required.

1st rough (underground DWV)
2nd rough (Stacks, water, tub install)
Final (done at final walk of home)
Sewer and water (Backflow inspection etc...)

We are required to pull permits for certain aspects of remodeling as well. Such as repiping etc....

Welcome, I look forward to hearing your input.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
HI bfs were happy to have you aboard the PZ, welcome

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Welcome. If your drains really spin Counter clock wise, do you run your drain cleaning equipment in reverse?

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Just kidding around- serious about the cross walks. Welcome to the sight. Whats that toilet from australia called that uses .8 gallons, and will flush a 4lb potato? It has a 4" trap and outlet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome mate,i think you are referring to the Caroma Smart Flush it has a 4.5 litre full flush which is a small volume considering that 12 litres used to be the standard years ago.We are starting to more blocked drains where these reduced flush suites are installed especially where the drains in the ground are old and damaged and designed for a 12litre flush.All pan outlets in Australia must have an 100mm outlet.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
The Caroma is it thanks. I usually stick to the dual flush toilets for this reason. Line carry in a older home designed for 3-5 gallons. New toilet engineered to use from .8-1.28GPF could mean problems. At least with the dual flush if line carry does become an issue you can always go back to the bigger flush volume.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
AM/Std is coming out with the cadet 4 it will have duel flush.

·
Registered
218 Posts
welcome,whats the australian rate,i m going to install a shower faucet for a girl from ausralia,if its more than the canadian rate i ll charge her the ausralianrate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would charge about $150 not including parts.
I have a fondness for your beer it gets bagged alot down here

1 - 18 of 18 Posts