Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Gate valves or ball valves, what do you install?

• BALL VALVES

Votes: 103 97.2%
  • GATE VALVES

Votes: 3 2.8%
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ball Valves, Red & White to be specific, MAS are garbage.

if you are soldering a ball valve make sure you have it cracked halfways open to avoid damaging the internals from the heat. Anything over 1 1/2" should have a damp rag wrapped around it while soldering.

Gate Valves for anything under 2 1/2" are garbage. Ball valve should be used, and if you need to throttle the pipe use a globe valve.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ball Valves, Red & White to be specific, MAS are garbage.

if you are soldering a ball valve make sure you have it cracked halfways open to avoid damaging the internals from the heat. Anything over 1 1/2" should have a damp rag wrapped around it while soldering.

Gate Valves for anything under 2 1/2" are garbage. Ball valve should be used, and if you need to throttle the pipe use a globe valve.
Agreed.

Never EVER use a gate valve for any application requiring throttling! They are purely isolation valves requiring to be either fully open or fully shut. You really shouldn't use a ball valve for that either as this results in increased velocity through the opening which could erode the sides of the opening, but shouldn't hurt the overall ability to provide isolation. Globe valves by design are best for throttling flow but provide the least positive isolation.

I prefer ball valves to gate valves for isolation purposes but only because in most plumbing applications they don't get used very often and a gate valve can be a real bear to shut after its been sitting there for years. A ball valve tends to be easier and doesn't need to be turned a thousand times to shut!

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I do not like gate valves said a man.
I do not like them Sam I Am.
I do not like crumbling handles in the sand.
I do not like water running against my plan.
I do not like them in a poll.
I do not like them on any pole.
I do not like gate stems at all, for one day I know that they will all fall.
I do not like the many turns it takes, to only find out this thing is making me IRATE.
So as you see O friends of Sam, I do not like them in my plan.

So with all that dislike I can say this....
one might be more liked if he can shut it off with a quarter twist!!!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Ball valves don't break and seize up like gates.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
The elderly can operate a ball valve, unlike a gate.

A house roughed in in new construction, with gate valves usually indicates that plumber is running on tight margins and does not care about down the road for that customer, knowing the circumstances that those valves were cheaper than ball valves, and cause the most problems for the customer when they need that valve to work in the most important time; emergencies.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Ball valves all the way.

However, dropped gate valves have been very good for business. Especially when an entire building needs to be drained down.

·
Banned
239 Posts
just replace a 3" ball valve in an apartment building case it wouldnt shut off wouldnt even move......i like ball valves anyways

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
WOW, the voting is much closer than I thought it would be.

Mark:no:

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Those who are critical of gate valves I believe are really critical of cheap gate valves. Cheap ball valves are much better than cheap gate valves without a doubt. However, if you are really looking for a quality SOV, which will hold up to industrial use, you go with a quality gate valve. There is a reason you don't see 8" ball valves being used. The trick with all gate valves is they need to be exercised on a regular basis.

Mark

·
Registered
56 Posts
Still talking about these gate valves!

Those who are critical of gate valves I believe are really critical of cheap gate valves. Cheap ball valves are much better than cheap gate valves without a doubt. However, if you are really looking for a quality SOV, which will hold up to industrial use, you go with a quality gate valve. There is a reason you don't see 8" ball valves being used. The trick with all gate valves is they need to be exercised on a regular basis.

Mark
Glad I'm not on trial for murder and this forum is my jury. I'd be in prison the rest of my life while waiting for the verdict.

And I did not know Nibco's were bronze. They do look sort of brown now that you mentioned it. You are very knowledgeable.

This means we have been lying to our customers for many years.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
This means we have been lying to our customers for many years.

No,

I think you're smart enough to understand that they have a tendency to lock up, like the majority already know. What's more than obvious is that you sell them purely for the anticipation of replacing them every so often as it's easy to understand that a ball valve would keep the average plumber away from the main line, ever again.

Two entirely different schools of thinking, just like a chess match of who's smarter, who's making more money.

In the broader sense of the moral compass,

Who offered the best product or service for the money.

That's a debate to all it's own, which will heavily divide this forum of plumbers.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts