Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Figure 90 minutes for a basic gas pressure test, inspection, and permit. Am I out of line because everyone else around here charges 125.00 or less. I charge twice that. The permit is 15 dollars my cost and then I have to go back and get my gauge because I never know when the supply house will run out of them and not reorder for a week. 99% of all price checkers are checking gas test prices, I don't get it.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I Figure 90 minutes for a basic gas pressure test, inspection, and permit. Am I out of line because everyone else around here charges 125.00 or less. I charge twice that. The permit is 15 dollars my cost and then I have to go back and get my gauge because I never know when the supply house will run out of them and not reorder for a week. 99% of all price checkers are checking gas test prices, I don't get it.
If you are driving back to the site just to collect a $10 gauge you should not charge the client for it. It would be much cheaper just to include the cost of the gauge in your test price.

Mark

·
Registered
344 Posts
There are a lot of variables there to consider. How many openings? Does this include leak search? What about updating bonding? Changing out non-compliant gas stops?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
As far as the guauge goes I don't want to buy a case of them and the supply house here is bad about not reordering. For what I charge I will do a minor leak search (exposed fittings) I will do some minor repairs, but replacing old stopps is extra. I usally remove old stopps and replace with a cap for the test. I have never heard of updating bonding.

·
Registered
71 Posts
sorry for my ignorance but what would be a situation that you would need to test a gas line? are you installing any gas lines or are you just verifying that the current ones don't leak or properly sized?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Around here people let their old gas systems go forever with out having them checked with the exception of commercial which are required to test once a year. Most people have leaks and don't know it until the gas company notices and pulls their meter then they are without gas until a plumber fixes and test the system and then the city comes and inspects.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting. so to test, you would have to disconnect all appliances plus the meter then cap all lines. then you just put a 15lb air test for 15 min? thats our minimum test. find and fix leak and then you'd have to hook everything back up. I wouldn't do that for $125. I don't run into that at all, the average age of a house in my area is probably 20 years old. lots of new houses going up. I have done that in reno's I guess but thats after the contractor gutted everything out and we use the line for temp. heat. then run brand new and much smaller line later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts