Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
According to the local news today the cause of the explosion was discovered. Apparently a 2" gas main in the street had the leak, it followed the homes water main into the house and spilled inside the foundation where the water main entered the block wall in the basement. A gas fired appliance inside the house triggered the explosion.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
According to the local news today the cause of the explosion was discovered. Apparently a 2" gas main in the street had the leak, it followed the homes water main into the house and spilled inside the foundation where the water main entered the block wall in the basement. A gas fired appliance inside the house triggered the explosion.

Had a similar incident in my town about 7years ago. The only difference is the woman had no gas in her house, she was on oil. Unfortunately her and her dog perished in the incident. I hope to never see anything like that again, it was very sad.

·
Master Plumber
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was a restaurant in downtown Kansas City that blew up about two years ago. A cable contractor was drilling to run a new line and someone had failed to mark the gas line.

They hit the line and enough gas eventually made it into the restaurant and was ignited by the pilot, over an hour after the line was damaged. Turns out the company never obtained a permit to do the initial work and ended up with over 150K in fines.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Saw this on TV.

Had an abandoned home on our main highway running through town. I was there getting pictures to file a complaint. Amerin IP did not have the gas locked. The door was forced open, power was off. I opened the door and the house was full of gas. Called IP about gas leak. Tech came out ran a sniffer explosive levels all the way to the top floor ceiling area.

Called our Fire Department, police blocked off the highway, Fire Department ventilated the unit, no explosion. Got lucky no power was on. No telling how long the gas had been on. House was about 40' from a main highway, would have made someones day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts