Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys laugh at us for using flex connectors in California but here’s a couple pictures of the ones installed in the 60’s and 70’s that have been no longer legal for a long time. They’re semi rigid aluminum that were flared at the nuts. As you can see some dipsh!ts reuse them on newer water heaters. During an earthquake they pull out of the flare causing a major gas leak. Bonus pic is the T&P

·
Registered
NJ Master Plumber
46 Posts
Wow, cali is a worlds difference from NJ lol.

Do they not require drip legs/sediment traps on gas there?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here’s the upgrade. Installed new furnace and added air conditioning to the house. I need to figure out how to keep my pvc clean in the pipe rack rolling around with the copper.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
......... I need to figure out how to keep my pvc clean in the pipe rack rolling around with the copper................
Amen!!!!

My best idea so far seems like o-rings or hair ties but that's a pitd for a 10' stick. The easiest but less effective method is to use 1/2" and 3/4" pex and wedge it all together so nothing slides or rotates too much.

I have two tubes on top just so I can keep some sticks of pvc perfectly clean and separated from my copper.

Reactions: Debo22

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amen!!!!

My best idea so far seems like o-rings or hair ties but that's a pitd for a 10' stick. The easiest but less effective method is to use 1/2" and 3/4" pex and wedge it all together so nothing slides or rotates too much.

I have two tubes on top just so I can keep some sticks of pvc perfectly clean and separated from my copper.
I only have one pipe tube

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I only have one pipe tube
Wow, I'd go nuts with anxiety about not having the pipe I need.

I carry ~40' 1/2" copper, ~15' of 3/4" copper, 10' of 1" copper, 20-35' of 1-1/2" pvc, 20' of 2" pvc, 10' of 4" pvc, 10' of 3" pvc, a bunch of 1/2" viega pex in red/fosta/blue, some 3/4" and 1" fosta pex, and lastly some 5'-10' pieces of the other sizes of pvc and copper. I also carry some 1/4" OD rolled soft copper for ice makers and a piece of 5/8" OD soft copper for when I get into a pickle. I'm sure I'm forgetting some pieces too lolz.

Heck, I even have a couple pieces of 1/2" and 3/4" brass pipe for replacing hose spigot stub outs in old homes with all threaded pipe and super thick stone foundations. Yes, I have a threader set.

My E-250 is only a couple hundred pounds below the max GVWR. Drives like a Cadillac ;)

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I'd go nuts with anxiety about not having the pipe I need.

I carry ~40' 1/2" copper, ~15' of 3/4" copper, 10' of 1" copper, 20-35' of 1-1/2" pvc, 20' of 2" pvc, 10' of 4" pvc, 10' of 3" pvc, a bunch of 1/2" viega pex in red/fosta/blue, some 3/4" and 1" fosta pex, and lastly some 5'-10' pieces of the other sizes of pvc and copper. I also carry some 1/4" OD rolled soft copper for ice makers and a piece of 5/8" OD soft copper for when I get into a pickle. I'm sure I'm forgetting some pieces too lolz.

Heck, I even have a couple pieces of 1/2" and 3/4" brass pipe for replacing hose spigot stub outs in old homes with all threaded pipe and super thick stone foundations. Yes, I have a threader set.

My E-250 is only a couple hundred pounds below the max GVWR. Drives like a Cadillac ;)
I carry less than 10 feet of each size pipe. I’m usually fairly close to my house/shop. There’s also supply houses or Home Depot everywhere. I have to carry supply for plumbing, heating, and air conditioning so space is a premium. I don’t even carry drain machines except a Supervee, I load up in the morning if I need them. I’ve been running this way for 10 years but I should try and carry more to be more efficient. There’s a fine line between carrying enough stock and taking time to move the stuff out of the way to get what I need out of the van.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I carry less than 10 feet of each size pipe. I’m usually fairly close to my house/shop. There’s also supply houses or Home Depot everywhere. I have to carry supply for plumbing, heating, and air conditioning so space is a premium. I don’t even carry drain machines except a Supervee, I load up in the morning if I need them. I’ve been running this way for 10 years but I should try and carry more to be more efficient. There’s a fine line between carrying enough stock and taking time to move the stuff out of the way to get what I need out of the van.
I am usually a good 30mins from any supply house or hardware store.

An extra top tube is like free real estate. Having to dig for certain things is annoying but I am pretty good about keeping the important stuff in easy to reach places and when I find I'm not using something just taking it off the van. Which reminds me, it's about time to stock another M53 for the spring flooding!

I have this one parts box I can't seem to get rid of in the middle of my van. It's been really ticking me off lately so I am trying really hard to find/make new spots to stick stuff. It's only half full now!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Behind the wood and my broom is even more pipe and my curb key. Can't please the customer if you don't have wood!

Maybe @Tango could please move these posts to a "Van Organization" thread ;)

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Damn, I really need to consolidate so I can carry more
That inside pipe rack is easily the best thing I've done to the van for carrying more.

I don't do HVAC, but for plumbing you name it I got it. Except well pump control boxes and electric water heater elements/thermostats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts