Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK people, how do you change one when you are by yourself? I had one hell of a time and finally had to ask the HO for assistance. They keep jumping around and when you finally get it so you can snap the ring on the whols shibang falls apart.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Simple, and very easy, this is what I do, use small pair of channel to hold the edge of the ring in to grove, doing this will allow you to hold the drain steady so you can walk the rest of the ring around the grove. Only take one person to mount the bracket

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ron's idea seems best so far. Also I found that after I re installed the GD it wanted to leak. After several attempts I pulled the unit out and examined the rubber gasket. It had a slimy film on it, so I went outside and washed it off with dish liquid till the film was gone, then it stoped leaking. Dont know if the film was causing it or if I just happened to install it right the last time

·
Registered
843 Posts
I don't have that much trouble with the snap rings. I have more trouble lifting the new one and holding it while swiveling the three ears into place. I use my knee under it to hold it while I pull the lock ring around.

It is more difficult on a CI or heavier sink than it is on a stainless. I think it just takes judicious use of all your fingers.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have more trouble lifting the new one and holding it while swiveling the three ears into place. I use my knee under it to hold it while I pull the lock ring around.

You must have some short legs! I cant even get myself under there much alone my legs too!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Thats how I set the bracket like Ron was saying. Older plumber taught me that trick a few years back. It works great!

·
Master Plumber
76 Posts
I silcone all my disposal flanges then set it in place.
Slide all the hardware for the under side on my left hand, lay on my back under the sink, reach up thru the flange and hold down with my left hand, then as I slide each piece in place I hold it there with my left thumb.
Finally I start the ring and then hold it in place with my left thumb and work it around the rest of the way with my right hand.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
I silcone all my disposal flanges then set it in place.
Slide all the hardware for the under side on my left hand, lay on my back under the sink, reach up thru the flange and hold down with my left hand, then as I slide each piece in place I hold it there with my left thumb.
Finally I start the ring and then hold it in place with my left thumb and work it around the rest of the way with my right hand.
I get er done just like that, but use putty. Hate cleaning up silicone. The brand of disposer could also be a factor in the installation headache.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hmm, I use one hand on top and one on the bottom, but my hands have no problem spreading out to push the snap ring up and onto the groove. If its a real bear, i just flex the snap ring a few times to get it to loosen up some. Makes it easier.

There are also several installation tools that will hold the disposer up and in place, but again, I don't have that much trouble. I get on one knee, grab the ring and lift into place. My hands are large, but my fingers are not fat, so I can do it that way. I can change out a disposer lickity-split (ring).

Sorry.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like the idea with the small channel lock's, or did you mean a small pair of visegrip's. Visegrip's seem like if your careful could work out sweet. I have huge hand's so I don't have much problem's with the snap ring.:thumbup:

Did anyone ever have to remove a commercial disposer and adapt to the exsisting plumbing?

I'm in the process of removing 6 commercial disposer's. I'm removing in-sink-erator ss-150's through ss-1000. I found a mounting adt. #12904 that they they make for this situation. It takes the size down from the 6 5/8" sink opening to a 3 5/8" opening, so you can mount your 2" twist drain to. It work's slick. You learn something new everyday.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I like the idea with the small channel lock's, or did you mean a small pair of visegrip's.

Channel locks is always the best use for this application.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I never have trouble installing these. Takes me about 20 minutes :)

I just hold the top with one hand and use my spread fingers to force the ring on. Its pretty easy...

·
Registered
538 Posts
lol. im short and i cant manage to use my knees! props fo sho. lol. i wil usually just put the disposal or something heavy on top of the strainer...but the majority of the time its not neccesary...dont rele have trouble witht the rings?

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
OK people, how do you change one when you are by yourself? I had one hell of a time and finally had to ask the HO for assistance. They keep jumping around and when you finally get it so you can snap the ring on the whols shibang falls apart.

I never have a problem, but then again I have 3.5' arms :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts