Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
361 Posts
When you install the gasket in front of the flange it doesn’t stay there when you torque everything down. The flange pushes in front of the gasket and the rubber compresses and expands to fill the gap.

That’s been my experience. That’s why I toss the cheap gasket that comes with it and use one of better quality.

I can and have used the cheap gasket snd it does work......but I feel it’s the minimum standard. I work above minimum standards typically.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
...............I don't expect anyone to do it my way , just wanted to see if anyone else did it this way . ..........
I didn't say I wouldn't try it, just giving you my opinion based on the pictures.

I don't install disposals that often and certainly don't install many with that style of connection, only a couple. I will certainly look into it if I come across one like that though, thanks for the suggestion ;)

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
On Insinkerator Badger disposals which side do you guys place gasket on discharge elbow. Manufacturer claims to put gasket between elbow and disposal. I did it this way 30 years ago . Occasionally would see one leaking . Saw one where the gasket was slid over the discharge elbow first , then the 2 hole plate screwed over the top. This is the way I have installed every disposal for the last 30 years. I argued with a landlord today about it. He says you're doing it wrong. I then demonstrated both ways . My way you could not move or rotate elbow. Manufacturer recommended way you can move elbow and is not as tight . By placing gasket over the elbow the flange on the end keeps gasket from squeezing inside disposal and therefore it squeezes against the sides of the opening. At least this is the way I do it and have never had a callback or leak due to improper gasket location.
Was wondering if any of you all do the same thing . Apologies if topic has been covered in the past
What gasket ????? Lololololololololo

·
Registered
6 Posts
It holds much tighter my way and never , I mean never seen one leak . Installed at least one a week for the last 33 years .
I don't expect anyone to do it my way , just wanted to see if anyone else did it this way . I " believe " this a good way . Have seen them leak doing it the manufacturers way. I know I will only do it my way .
I was taught to install it the factory way. One day I installed it your way. I noticed that it was A much tighter fit. Never had one leak from this connection- that I am aware of. Further, I kinda thought that it was similar to a tubular trap with the jam nuts and washers. Upon reading the replies, I believe I will switch back to the manufacture’s way. Someone else posted that is very similar to a flanged tailpiece with the top hat washer between the tailpiece and the basket strainer. That makes the most sense to me!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I was taught to install it the factory way. One day I installed it your way. I noticed that it was A much tighter fit. Never had one leak from this connection- that I am aware of. Further, I kinda thought that it was similar to a tubular trap with the jam nuts and washers. Upon reading the replies, I believe I will switch back to the manufacture’s way. Someone else posted that is very similar to a flanged tailpiece with the top hat washer between the tailpiece and the basket strainer. That makes the most sense to me!
I know people that don't use that top hat gasket between flanged tailpiece and basket strainer,where does that leave us at with the garbage disposal gasket question???lololoo

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’ve done it both ways.
I’ve had leaks both ways.
I’ve even done it where I use plumbers putty as the first gasket, then the flange piece, then the gasket.

i think it’s a better practice to go with manufactures (recommendation) instructions. But as long as it doesn’t leak, then no big deal.

For bigger 3/4HP GD I go with the manufactures installation.

plumb on my friend

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I follow the manufacturer's instructions and so far I have never had a problem.
you need to post a proper intro before you can post....follow this link..

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
post an intro as requested & required or get banned.
I follow the manufacturer's instructions and so far I have never had a problem.

Reactions: ShtRnsdownhill

·
Registered
379 Posts
Probably did thousands of them over 45 years and never remember having one leak doing it the manufactures way with it between the elbow and the disposer body.

Reactions: GAN and skoronesa

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
On Insinkerator Badger disposals which side do you guys place gasket on discharge elbow.
I slide the gasket over the elbow and then slide on the retainer plate thing. I've never had one leak, either right away or after some time, and I'm often the guy who replaces that same garb years later when it wears out.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts