Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Il Lic. Plumber
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Insinkerator Badger disposals which side do you guys place gasket on discharge elbow. Manufacturer claims to put gasket between elbow and disposal. I did it this way 30 years ago . Occasionally would see one leaking . Saw one where the gasket was slid over the discharge elbow first , then the 2 hole plate screwed over the top. This is the way I have installed every disposal for the last 30 years. I argued with a landlord today about it. He says you're doing it wrong. I then demonstrated both ways . My way you could not move or rotate elbow. Manufacturer recommended way you can move elbow and is not as tight . By placing gasket over the elbow the flange on the end keeps gasket from squeezing inside disposal and therefore it squeezes against the sides of the opening. At least this is the way I do it and have never had a callback or leak due to improper gasket location.
Was wondering if any of you all do the same thing . Apologies if topic has been covered in the past

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
On Insinkerator Badger disposals which side do you guys place gasket on discharge elbow. Manufacturer claims to put gasket between elbow and disposal. I did it this way 30 years ago . Occasionally would see one leaking . Saw one where the gasket was slid over the discharge elbow first , then the 2 hole plate screwed over the top. This is the way I have installed every disposal for the last 30 years. I argued with a landlord today about it. He says you're doing it wrong. I then demonstrated both ways . My way you could not move or rotate elbow. Manufacturer recommended way you can move elbow and is not as tight . By placing gasket over the elbow the flange on the end keeps gasket from squeezing inside disposal and therefore it squeezes against the sides of the opening. At least this is the way I do it and have never had a callback or leak due to improper gasket location.
Was wondering if any of you all do the same thing . Apologies if topic has been covered in the past
HAHAHAHA! No, we have not yet argued about this esoteric facet of our job, thanks for bringing it up, let the mudslinging begin!!!

I do them the factory way but I will definitely look at the way you do it next time. I take out way more disposals than I put in.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
HAHAHAHA! No, we have not yet argued about this esoteric facet of our job, thanks for bringing it up, let the mudslinging begin!!!

I do them the factory way but I will definitely look at the way you do it next time. I take out way more disposals than I put in.

Yeah, me too- I take out way more then I install..

But when I do an install, which is prob 5+ a year, I follow the manufactures instructions, and I’ve never had any problems to this date with “Insinkerator/Badger”, which is what I supply and install. I haven’t had any problems or call backs that I can remember in the last 15 years.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
128 Posts
I also have done it both ways but have in the past couple of years started just slipping the gasket over the flange because it saves a few seconds. I have never had a leak either way.
I have never read the manufacturers instructions to see how the gasket should be placed.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
gasket between the ell and the disposal. I used to give it a coat of rector-seal to help a bit with any possible defects.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I've installed hundreds of disposals and have always put the gasket between the disposal and the flange. Never an issue in 15+ years. There have been a few of a particular brand that I can't recall the name that had a gasket that encompassed the flange, then there are also the type that the flange goes inside a rubber boot looking part on the disposal and then a clamp, think those are the extra quiet ones that are also thicker bodied around the motor I guess with insulation or whatever.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I usually toss the factory gasket snd use a disposal gasket that has a groove that the flange portion slips into. When you tighten the flange it compressed everything water tight. But that’s with the less expensive disposals, Now I usually only install ISE’s with the vibration free factory spring clamp boot. It’s factory installed.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
gasket between the ell and the disposal. I used to give it a coat of rector-seal to help a bit with any possible defects.
I put dope on most if not all rubber tubular seals. I usually don't on the poly trap seals though.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
128 Posts
I always use dope on box store pop ups! No warranty! Never used it on a GD before.
I try not to use thread sealant on anything that does not require it, ( tubular traps, PVC union trap, washing machine hose connections, etc.) but if it is a box store pop-up you better believe it is getting doped. I don't plan on coming back!

·
Super Moderator
8,023 Posts
I started to put a dab of silicone on the threads of lavatory pop-ups if it leaks.

·
Il Lic. Plumber
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the pop up assembly is plastic I coat the threads with Megaloc pipe dope. If you don't they almost always leak .

Back to the gasket on the disposals. I used to stock the washer that encompassed the flanged part of the elbow back in the day, but wholesale houses won't stock and harder to find. I posted mainly to see if anyone else was doing similar assembly. I understand liability for not following manufacturers recommdations but does it matter if it leaks and was done to specs ? Plumber is still getting blamed . How much will it damage and how much of a liability does it amount to. A lawyer will laugh you out of his office for anything under 20 grand . In 33 years I have never been sued or reported to inspectors for any work I was associated with. Lucky to say the least. I work on my own by myself and can't stand call backs . Nobody to blame but me . I may not do things like the manufacturers want ,but I do what works and I believe this is a better way to do it. Now having said all this my advice to anyone else on here is , if you have been doing something a certain way and it works keep doing it that way . Don't do anything because I said it was a better way. Hell I am probably an idiot , but as long as I am making money I ain't changing a thing .

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
........... if you have been doing something a certain way and it works keep doing it that way .....................
Car mechanics have a torque wrench, I have a sore hand and a worn pair of channellocks. Their wheels don't fall off and my faucets don't leak ;)

To each their own.

·
Il Lic. Plumber
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Replaced a disposal and took pics today . 1st pic is the way manufacturer wants it done. 2nd pic is the way I prefer.

Reactions: sparky and Tango

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Replaced a disposal and took pics today . 1st pic is the way manufacturer wants it done. 2nd pic is the way I prefer.
Based on your pics I don't think I would prefer your method. You're relying on the side of that rubber washer making a seal and I see bumps cast into the plastic housing where you want the seal to seal.

·
Super Moderator
8,023 Posts

Finally some pictures! (y)

I would do it the manufacturer's way because that's how it's done on 6,8,12,20" industrial pipes.

It's the same principle as the tail piece adapter washer. Nut, Tail piece and washer and screw it to the kitchen basket.

Doing it like the second pic you are distorting the gasket and putting flange to flange contact. Doesn't make sense to me.

·
Il Lic. Plumber
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It holds much tighter my way and never , I mean never seen one leak . Installed at least one a week for the last 33 years .
I don't expect anyone to do it my way , just wanted to see if anyone else did it this way . I " believe " this a good way . Have seen them leak doing it the manufacturers way. I know I will only do it my way .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts