Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is my rant,

I was in my local supplier today and i see this kid, maybe 19 years old or so. Slouched over the counter, hat on sideways, pants halfway down his ass and he is ordering some items. I notice that he is working for a local service company and is obviously doing service calls on his own. The whole time he is there he is rude and obnoxious. He then looks at the wall and gets all excited about the new sharkbite flex connectors for hot water tanks.

Is this the future of our service industry? I would kick this kid to the curb if he tried to work on my house if i was a homeowner. And there is no chance i would hire him. I would not make a big deal about it, but it seems like the new up and commers in the industry are more often than not, this kind of attitude.

Or maybe i am over reacting...

any responses??

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I saw those flex SB connectors at my local house. I grabbed one and brought it to one of the owners and asked why are they stocking this crap. he replied because idiots buy them.
I couldn't fault the guy.....

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Ok so here is my rant,

I was in my local supplier today and i see this kid, maybe 19 years old or so. Slouched over the counter, hat on sideways, pants halfway down his ass and he is ordering some items. I notice that he is working for a local service company and is obviously doing service calls on his own. The whole time he is there he is rude and obnoxious. He then looks at the wall and gets all excited about the new sharkbite flex connectors for hot water tanks.

Is this the future of our service industry? I would kick this kid to the curb if he tried to work on my house if i was a homeowner. And there is no chance i would hire him. I would not make a big deal about it, but it seems like the new up and commers in the industry are more often than not, this kind of attitude.

Or maybe i am over reacting...

any responses??
I believe we will see a mix of situations. Some companies will be the stupid looking kids like you saw today, some will be the traditional plumbers like we are use to and some will be the gamer types that understand all of the latest technology and take advantage of it.

Mark

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was taking my hydronic radiant panel design course last Fall at BCIT. The first day I'm there, there is a guy I recognize, and I couldn't quite figure out where I knew him from, and he said the same thing about me. Turns out he worked for a company that did the plumbing on a job that we did the radiant heating on the year before. Anyways, he now works with a service company, and him and another guy from this service company are there.

So the course gets going, and the instructor lays everthing out. There are about 8 guys there, including one Inspector of a local municiaplity sitting beside me. After the instructor goes over the course outline, and what we're going to learn on the first day, we go for coffee. I come back from coffee and the 2 service guys are gone. So the instructor tells us that the service guys don't want to waste their time taking this course, and that they told him this and they also said "the future is service plumbing." Yet I have heard a few stories of even service plumbers getting laid off in this weakening economy where I live.

While personally I have tried to focus my energies on hydronic heating as a Plumber/Gasfitter because that is what I feel most passionately about as an aspect of this huge trade, but at the same time I'm open to learning something new all the time, and why would they have gone through the trouble of signing up for the course if they already had this sh*tty attitude to begin with?

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
SPH,
Before i went out on my own, the last company i worked for had nothing but young dumbasses out in the field doing service calls. Just like you described. Guys that had they shown up at my door, would have got the boot.
I dont see how these owners dont realizt that these kids are a reflection of their comapny. These guys had no problem going to lunch smoking pot in the vans, just to return back to work. No way ever, your all fired.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I couldn't help but think of this when you said that about the van RSP.

Hey, cut em a little slack. We were all there at one time. It's not all bad out there. I went to a 32 hour code refresher a few months ago. There were only maybe 4 of us that were old. (oldest):laughing:
The rest of the guys were in their 20's and a pretty good bunch. I could tell there were a few with their heads up their arse but most of them seemed very clean cut and paid attention.
Things will be ok, the bad apples will get "Weeded" out!:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Qualifications

It's very important for each state to implement minimum installation requirements by licensing and competency testing.

All trade professionals located in states without licensing should be contacting their Representatives and Congress pushing licensing.

In states that issue licenses we should be asking for enforcement.

John
[email protected]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive seen some guys (even older) that don't care about their appearance. Would you want a guy wearing a hat sideways to come back to your home? Im 25 and I wouldn't... If anyone is serious about thier job they wouln't look like that.. leave that for handymen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Personal appearance is what a lot of customers will put stock in for trust of a service person. If you appear to be professionaly dressed then you are most likely to be professional in your work and your attitude. If a service company in this market right now is not keeping a professional face, they may find themselves jobless. We are all professionals, and we are bothered when someone isn't.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
What another guy looks like at the supply house or how he is dressed is not a concern of mine. The look of another plumber doesn't reflect my business. We still live in a somwhat free country,so lets keep it that way and let people wear their hat sideways even if they are calling themselves plumbers. There has always been jackleggs in plumbing and every other trade and i dont think I'm so special that I can change that. If you worry about your business then you dont have time to worry about someone else's.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I like guys that look like bums, it's very good for business. All our guys wear clean uniforms and hats on the right way. They represent the company and they represent me. Since I am paying them, they either dress to the company standard or get the hell out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts