Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you don't mind working around dead bodies? I certainly don't.

Last one I did I was looking at 5 on the slab, one dude was almost 5 foot thick and thought he was going to explode or something! :blink:

I have a funeral home that has a chronic problem with the main line backing up. It's a short run but if you deal with these, you know what's in the drain.

I feel the line needs to be jetted but it will come right back for sure.

Anyone tried enzyme injection systems on this?

Each dead body I think creates a pound or two of meaty flesh chunks that makes it down the drain, out to a holding tank.

Think ham salad, hold the lettuce.

I told these guys I'd camera the line next time but I already know why my camera would look like when I do it....NASTY.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I have cleaned out lines in the preproom, and working on the plumbing in them, was left in there alone, 3 bodies, what a odd place to be. I was hoping none would happen to sit up on the tables, I know too much sci-fi tv. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Had service contract with 5 funeral homes years back . Man ,,, you guys are right !! Takes a certain intestinal fortitude to work those places ! Only bothered me the first time.
Duck ,,, check out Bio Clean from http://www.statewidesupply.com/ they have an
enzyme injection system that might be just the ticket !

We've slopped through the same " dead sludge " --- Now that's a brotherhood !!

cal

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had service contract with 5 funeral homes years back . Man ,,, you guys are right !! Takes a certain intestinal fortitude to work those places ! Only bothered me the first time.
Duck ,,, check out Bio Clean from http://www.statewidesupply.com/ they have an
enzyme injection system that might be just the ticket !

We've slopped through the same " dead sludge " --- Now that's a brotherhood !!

cal

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find the injection system you mentioned...is it on there or are you a dealer? I couldn't find that page.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I am a dealer and YOU NEED TO BE !!! Trust me ,,, this stuff works great and is a nice little money maker . Let me know !

Cal

·
Registered
111 Posts
Your talking about a biohazard situation for sure and not many plumbers are interested in the funeral home plumbing. I could be wrong but in California... I asked a 5 plumbers, none said it'd be worthwhile to do plumbing on a clogged line unless it's $150 an hour with a 4 hr min. labor only.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Your talking about a biohazard situation for sure and not many plumbers are interested in the funeral home plumbing. I could be wrong but in California... I asked a 5 plumbers, none said it'd be worthwhile to do plumbing on a clogged line unless it's $150 an hour with a 4 hr min. labor only.
Try 225 an hour at a 6 hr minimum to get me in one of those rooms. No thanks.:cry:

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I've done work at our city morgue. They have 2hp garbage grinders built right into the tables.
Hmmm, I like that idea... I think I'll sell them a couple of insinkerator evolutions...:thumbup:

whats nice about working in the prep rooms is that nobody complains,
Yup, nice and quiet...:laughing:

You're not a drain cleaner until you've done a funeral home...
It's a rite of passage...:laughing:

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
awright---I did a floor drain stoppage. 3" of stuff on the floor, bodies being drained, ghouls laughing at me.

I was sick for 3 days, get back to the shop and the boss tells me I left my tools there. Sonofa*****, I had to go back there. I ran in, grabbed my box and ran out.

Close to 30 years later, I can tell you every _ing detail of that place. I'm not squeamish...I seen things that would leave most mad as hatters, but that place was _ing _ing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've done a out of biz funeral home converted into a assembly of god (church), interesting huh? Check this out... the new cafeteria kitchen is in where they did the drain and embalming!! So pretty much all the lines had to be demo'd, replaced all the way to the prop line.

sheet I am under charging... I will up it to $250 an hour 6 hr min. Now I know why they never complain about my charge when I say $150 and 4 hr.. they smile and say no prob.

How did you get sick? Well that was 30 years ago, less biohazard protective gear and suits.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
How did you get sick? Well that was 30 years ago, less biohazard protective gear and suits.
We didn't think about that stuff then and many of us are paying the price now. Safety first always.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I always have n95 masks, organic masks and spare filters, nitrile gloves and etc. Goodluck and hope you don't have a long term illness or effects from that nasty stuff.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts