Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On paper the small truck will beat the big truck in fuel economy but I believe a big truck saves fuel because you don't have to go back to the supply house or the shop. You have everything with you in one shot. What's your thought?

One of these days I'll have enough money to buy a isuzu npr chassis with a hackney body. All I need is 40g's.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
We are considering replacing our Astro vans with Chevy HHR Panel trucks, since the trucks are mostly used to move people and tools, we don't keep a lot of material in our trucks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have the E-250 extended cargo van and carry thousands of parts plus I try to anticipate any specialty tools/machines I made need for the day.I've got a hitch on the back for pulling equipment of course.The van is a sweet ride,it's a pleasure to drive,I keep it spotless ,it's the only way to go.I was driving unheated vans in Chicago in the 80's,soaking wet from this or that,this luxury I affird myself.Even at 10 mpg,if that.I am found of step vans and think they are great for repair work,with the ladder and pipe racks mounted on the side.

·
Banned
239 Posts
i have a 99 chevy utility van that has every thing you could need in it if you can find it im very un organized....i find parts still laying on the floor from jobs weeks before...

i keep the van washed and in great mechanical shape but the box and exterior bins are a disastor......i just found 3 bags of 1" copper 90's jammed behind my generator felt like i hit the lottery

i have a 99 chevy diesel dually i use for hauling big stuff.....

i get 13mpg steady out of my van and i couldnt be happier it has ice cold air and rides awsome......and it dosent leak any fluids......id say what i have is ideal for a plumber that dose every thing plumbing related

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
I got a '05 ( I think) Chevy (but a Ford guy at heart:yes:) with a KUV body. The only things I can't carry is a waterheater and a stool or 2. Everything else I have.
I get around 12mpg.
I have thought about the next one to be a Sprinter with a box on the back, Hackney or a Supreme with bins/shelves. An NPR would be great to w/ a Hachney.
I just wish I could carry a couple waterheaters and couple stools at the same time.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
Here's my ride!

Here is what I'm using for now I plan to buy truck top side boxes soon! I put my hand tools in the cab and power tools to one side of the truck box. I carry a tote in the bed of the the truck with misc. finish materials/repair parts. I plan to buy something bigger inthe future. But this is wroking for now. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Hey 3, I still got that System One rack that would look good on that truck:thumbsup:

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
On paper the small truck will beat the big truck in fuel economy but I believe a big truck saves fuel because you don't have to go back to the supply house or the shop. You have everything with you in one shot. What's your thought?

One of these days I'll have enough money to buy a isuzu npr chassis with a hackney body. All I need is 40g's.
I took delivery of a 2006 (one of the last) NPR HD diesel w/Hackney P2000 box and shelving back in December. It gets about 11 mpg which is what was claimed and it is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I had been driving for several years a Chevy 2500 with utility bed that got about 12 mpg gas. I had no room for anything it seemed. All my cable machines were a major pain to get on and off of the truck and they were always exposed to the weather. Currently I have all the space in the world compared to what I did have. I carry General speedrooter 90, mini rooter, older (very bulky) Spartan sewer camera w/reel, General J2700(?) sewer jetter, 1 Toto "Drake" tank, 1 Toto "Drake" elongated bowl, 1 Toto "Drake" round bowl, couple of seats, 2 shower faucets, 6 lav faucets, 4 ks faucets, plus a gazillion repair parts. It has swing out doors and a ramp for all the sewer gear. There is room for a ton of stuff. I've had it for just over 6 months and still haven't filled it up even. If I could spring for a smaller camera I could make room for 1-2 water heaters to be on the truck at all times. As it is currently I can still carry probably 4 water heaters if I wanted but they would make life very difficult so I'm not carrying any right now but at some point this will definately change.

My time at the supply house has been cut drastically! I am convinced that a big truck makes you more productive and therefore more profitable. With the vinyl wrap it came in at about $48k.

There is one thing I don't like about it. You ride directly over the front axle and it can be a very rough ride if the road is in poor condition. Wear your seat belt and sloooooooow down in the rough spots.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Smells, I heard them NPRs can darn near turn on a dime.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Smells, I heard them NPRs can darn near turn on a dime.

In Christ,

Song Dog
It still amazes me! I'll think there's no way and the next thing you know I've made it with room to spare.

Spend the extra and get the backup alarm. It is loud and everybody looks when it goes off. Spend 2k -3k on a killer truck wrap. Also get the rear door ajar alarm, it's saved me several times.

Oh yeah this vehicle has the coldest a/c system I have ever seen in any vehicle which is fantastic since I'm one of those sweeeeeaaaaaaty people.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I bought an F-650 cab chassis last year and had a knapheide 14' KUV bed put on it. I have been very pleased with this rig. I average about 8.33 mpg and am able to haul dang near anything.

I do solely commercial and industrial plumbing and fitting so I travel quite a bit and also pull trailers quite a bit. Large up front cost but, this truck will last many years to come.

·
Banned
30 Posts
yep

i have a 99 chevy utility van that has every thing you could need in it if you can find it im very un organized....i find parts still laying on the floor from jobs weeks before...

i keep the van washed and in great mechanical shape but the box and exterior bins are a disastor......i just found 3 bags of 1" copper 90's jammed behind my generator felt like i hit the lottery

i have a 99 chevy diesel dually i use for hauling big stuff.....

i get 13mpg steady out of my van and i couldnt be happier it has ice cold air and rides awsome......and it dosent leak any fluids......id say what i have is ideal for a plumber that dose every thing plumbing related
I get 13mpg 2007 chevy 2500 van...I'm using an old suburban diesel 22mpg for towing my jetter. I'm doing smaller jobs on the same 150 regular customers all comercial...This set up works best for me. I did a wvo van but i drive to much to collect that much frygrease. Old toyotas get 25+mpg no matter how much weight you haul... an astro can get 18mpg loaded...the only thing is the smaller truck makes you look cheap, so do the big box trucks make you look expensive??? I've tried everything but the box trucks I guess I'll get one this spring and hire a plumber to drive it.
johnny

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
I got a '05 ( I think) Chevy (but a Ford guy at heart:yes:) with a KUV body. The only things I can't carry is a waterheater and a stool or 2. Everything else I have.
I get around 12mpg.
I have thought about the next one to be a Sprinter with a box on the back, Hackney or a Supreme with bins/shelves. An NPR would be great to w/ a Hachney.
I just wish I could carry a couple waterheaters and couple stools at the same time.

In Christ,

Song Dog
I can't endorse the SPRINTER enough.
1. 20-25 mpg's..
2. Great turning radious.
3. Lots of room. on tall models.
4. nice ride
5. lots of low end
6. once the turbo spools up- lot's of top end.
7. nice seats
8. Costomers love to look at them and talk to you about them. Yes they do have a $$$$ look, but whats wrong with that?? Plus once you tell costomers that you went from getting 8 mpg- 20+mpg they seem really OK with it.
9. Lots of bill board
We have 4, and will be replacing the F2-350 vans with SPRINTERS.
10. 3 tier tool chest like the one in the garage sits right behind my cage.

DOWN SIDE
1. accelleration is so good,+ we are so well stocked, wear through breaks every 30K miles.
2. Mercedes Benz. drive terrain = $$ parts until more after market stuff gets on the market.
3. Waiting for the Dodge A/C to crap out.

We have the 2500/ 3/4 ton models, high top, long bed. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I can't endorse the SPRINTER enough.
1. 20-25 mpg's..
2. Great turning radious.
3. Lots of room. on tall models.
4. nice ride
5. lots of low end
6. once the turbo spools up- lot's of top end.
7. nice seats
8. Costomers love to look at them and talk to you about them. Yes they do have a $$$$ look, but whats wrong with that?? Plus once you tell costomers that you went from getting 8 mpg- 20+mpg they seem really OK with it.
9. Lots of bill board
We have 4, and will be replacing the F2-350 vans with SPRINTERS.
10. 3 tier tool chest like the one in the garage sits right behind my cage.

DOWN SIDE
1. accelleration is so good,+ we are so well stocked, wear through breaks every 30K miles.
2. Mercedes Benz. drive terrain = $$ parts until more after market stuff gets on the market.
3. Waiting for the Dodge A/C to crap out.

We have the 2500/ 3/4 ton models, high top, long bed. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
**************That's a pretty big DOWNSIDE**************:eek:

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
We have a 1988 GMC Vandura with the 12' box on it and it's a low-profile box (the wheel wells inside of the box go down over the tires on the back) and it's loaded down with tools and parts. It has the 3 speed automatic transmission and a 350v8 with the throttle body.

Get's about 8-10mpg I'd say, but when we get to the job, we NEVER have to leave.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
My oil change today was $83 :eek:

15 quarts of Rotella 15W-40.... $36.00, :blink:
What the heck kind of vehicle do you have that holds 15 quarts of diesel oil?

The big red 2500 powerJOKE (j/k) haha

I have a 97 ram cummins 12valve and it just holds 11 with a new oil filter, BUT it's a straight 6.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Ford F350 6.3 Turbo Diesel.

The oil pan is massive on this motor. I keep it hooked to the block heater so I'm not turning that motor over fighting to get oil to the top of it.

Stays 100 degrees in the coldest of weather; warm air slowly comes from the vents when I get in it.

I really don't think I'm going to get another diesel...I think I'm going back to gas.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I drive an older Dodge extented cab Cummins Turbodiesel 3/4 ton with an enclosed 8 ' Skaug walk in utility bed. Works well for me and super reliable. I get 14.5-15 mpg loaded. 3 gallons of oil at change time! Fairly easy to park.

·
Registered
402 Posts

I drove one of these in Iowa. Great truck but it sucks in snow. I'd love one here in Florida.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts