Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please tell my you are joking?
Sort of but they did ask if they could just get a new tank. I told them no. They needed a new toilet. The house froze when they were on vacation. The toilet is only a fraction of what else is wrong. I'm working on the proposal now. Water heater froze solid and split, split copper all over the place etc. This happens quite often up here, not good for them.;)

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
If it got THAT cold. You are probably re-piping the whole thing. Did the house flood when things thawed or did they catch it in time to shut the water off.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it got THAT cold. You are probably re-piping the whole thing. Did the house flood when things thawed or did they catch it in time to shut the water off.
I'm proposing to re-pipe all of it, new water heater, two new toilets and then some. They actually turned off the water before they left but never winterized the system so the water damage isn't that bad.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I'm proposing to re-pipe all of it, new water heater, two new toilets and then some. They actually turned off the water before they left but never winterized the system so the water damage isn't that bad.
That is going to be one expensive life lesson:cry:

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Since posting on this board and seeing all the pictures I decided to document all of these jobs with pictures to save on file. The copper piping split all over the place just like this one, very common in these parts for freeze damage but it looks like this house is a total loss regarding the plumbing, still working on the proposal.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
If that WCL froze like that. The p-traps gotta be shot.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If that WCL froze like that. The p-traps gotta be shot.
Not necessarily, we had a house that froze up like that and the traps survived. It was frozen for a few days before anyone noticed, lucky for the guy it stayed cold enough that everything stayed frozen and he didn't have too much water running onto the floor. Their was plenty of water damage but it wasn't as bad as it should have been considering what happened. The back section of a tank broke off completely. We repaired about 25 leaks in the baseboard and heat lines. We found about six bursts in the water lines and all the shower cartridges. Somehow the p-traps and two of the toilets survived.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts