Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok lets hear what you are required to set your lines at below grade.

Water Lines....... 24"

Waste...... What ever there at passing though or under the foundation.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those that have to set there water lines over 5' deep, how do you do this, I mean surely you need shoring each and every time right?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What a pain, I guess if your used to it, it's very easy I guess, here our frost line it 12" but we have to be 1' below that, puts us at 24" and that's to the top of the pipe, we fail inspection if your not at that depth. What gets me water meters are never that deep, there the depth of the water meter box, but once we exit that box and there after the PRV valve if needed, we have to drop the line right then and there. They are now having us insulate that drop into the ground until we hit then point.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Our frost line here in NY is about a foot. We are required to be 4' down on our services, usually we end up around 5'. Shoring, what's that? We can't back fill as we go. The inspection takes place upon completion and requires the entire trench to be open.

·
Registered
143 Posts
30" on the water and 12" on the waste on this side of the Cascades.

While I was in Wisconsin we were at 60" on the water, shoring ppffffft we don't need no stinking shoring, the shops I was in had the equipment to do the installs from dropping the pumps and setting the pat tanks to plumbing the house, same with the waste, everything from designing and installing the drain field to digging for and setting the septic tanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
In PDX and SW WA, like Ron mentioned, 24". pothole at the meter and pop up in the crawl or the bottom of the garage floor right next to a wall for valve and PRV if necessary. Mostly Bored through.

·
Registered
222 Posts
36" in philadelphia. Shoring required 5' or more, by OSHA. so I'm pretty sure thats everywhere, we mostly use a hydrolic jack system and reinforced plywood panels. "Trench-Tec" not sure if thats the manufaturer or distributer, but it's pretty easy to move along with you. Had one sewer years ago 24' deep, It don't matter how good your ditch is shored, 24' is scary.

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Here in North Florida its minimum 12" for water. Frost line is 6". Never had em say anything about drains.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Those that have to set there water lines over 5' deep, how do you do this, I mean surely you need shoring each and every time right?
If you do a step back on the trench at 4' you can keep from having to use shoring. This only works for depths less than 8', because then you would have to step back again. This works well when the ditch has to stay open for inspection.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts