Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I going to ASSume that trap is on the discharge of the sump pump.:blink:

Did it tie into the bottom of the main drain?:laughing:

I spose that trap would hold the stink in the system. Kinda like a poor man's check valve;)

Of course check or no check. Sump pump to sanitary sewer is a no no here.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I going to ASSume that trap is on the discharge of the sump pump.:blink:

Did it tie into the bottom of the main drain?:laughing:

I spose that trap would hold the stink in the system. Kinda like a poor man's check valve;)

Of course check or no check. Sump pump to sanitary sewer is a no no here.
Yup, the trap is on the discharge side of the pump. Went vertical and tied in over the top of the 3" drain with a 3x2 san tee. He was thinking!:thumbup:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
What's preventing the sanitary from flooding the basement in the event of a main line backup?

Why can't you tie a sump pump into a sanitary sewer in IL. Killertoiletspider said in a previous thread that they run rain leaders into sanitary sewer all the time. So why not a sump then?

·
Registered
356 Posts
no problem here tieing in a sump on a sanitary, we do it all the time. I'd like to hear the reasoning on not allowing it.

another problem with that installation is no check valve, valve, or union on the dischage.

·
Registered
265 Posts
no problem here tieing in a sump on a sanitary, we do it all the time. I'd like to hear the reasoning on not allowing it.

another problem with that installation is no check valve, valve, or union on the dischage.
There is a problem with storm water that is discharged into the sanitary sewer overloading the treatment plants. Every time I run into one of these situations, I have to separate the pump discharge and pipe it to the outside.
This is a statewide thing up here in Connecticut.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
What's preventing the sanitary from flooding the basement in the event of a main line backup?

Why can't you tie a sump pump into a sanitary sewer in IL. Killertoiletspider said in a previous thread that they run rain leaders into sanitary sewer all the time. So why not a sump then?
Cook county has combined sewers I believe. Us southern folks have sanitary sewer and storm sewer. Sump pumps/rain leaders go to storm. Our little poop treatment facilities can't handle the rainwater.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
os cities around here, you have to get permission to tie it into the sewer.

Here you do too. What I failed to mention on this one is that the house is on septic! Why would anyone want to discharge a sump pump into their septic?:eek:
The house is in the country, no neighbors! Pump it outside!!!!! These folks just were not thinking.

·
Dream Team Founder
315 Posts
here in michigan most cities are seperate storm and sewer systems but there are a few combined sysetems in some cities around detroit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts