Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,748 Posts
Hahaha! It's called a drainer! A nice arrow pointing to "the floor".:thumbup:

I had a similar tub like that before christmas. Toss the "drainer" out. If you want to know what I use send me a pm or the lounge.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
1,235 Posts
don't Bother wasting your time messing around with "provided W&O- big box/ 'accordion drains'... esp with a Free Standing tubs. basically- don't risk you're reputation.. they leak, stink and are cheap.

Up sell a proper ABS/PVC waste and overflow assembly, to avoid headaches and future problems with the pictured above crap.

(upselling point: the accordion style drains aren't smooth, which will cause crud/and solids to build up in the folds/ripples and over time and will start to ferment & smell, which also impedes the flow of the drain).

ive pulled many FS tubs, that have had leaks- with these "cheap, W&O's" after only 2-3 years... its frustrating why this crap is allowed to be sold.

do it right the first time, with better materials, and get paid more for your exp/knowledge...
-these tubs are a nightmare to service/look for a leak (at floor level)after they're installed.

PM me for, more info

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
That must be an AKDY tub. I have pics of what I ended up doing after I threw away their piece of crap drain. Will post them when I get a chance. I would honestly try my hardest to get the homeowner to go buy a different brand tub.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
* I just noticed right before posting this, that your drain doesn't exit the bottom. *

Found one pic real quick that shows what I ended up with. Top white piece you see is just a spacer since the drain body she got was fairly deep. Second white piece is a cut up old tub shoe for the threads and a flat spot to tighten their drain part with the overflow. Putty in ever spot I could put it before tightening the cut tub shoe and then tighten their drain and hook up their overflow.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
In your situation, I would just use a straight tub shoe since it looks like the one you are installing does not have an overflow.

·
Super Moderator
8,748 Posts
In your situation, I would just use a straight tub shoe since it looks like the one you are installing does not have an overflow.
The overflow is molded in the fibreglass. I've fixed one of those(check the soap thread) and installed a brand new one. No call backs yet.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
The one I installed had the overflow molded into the fiberglass and they had some odd flat corrugated tube that attached to their proprietary drain. You can see it entering the drain on the back side in my pic.

His does not have that.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
The one I installed had the overflow molded into the fiberglass and they had some odd flat corrugated tube that attached to their proprietary drain. You can see it entering the drain on the back side in my pic.

His does not have that.
it looks from his picture the overflow is molded into the tub, just like a standard sink has...you can see the raised area that goes around the drain area back up to to top of the tub..

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it looks from his picture the overflow is molded into the tub, just like a standard sink has...you can see the raised area that goes around the drain area back up to to top of the tub..
Yes, overflow is molded into the tub. I was thinking of threading on an 1 1/2” brass coupling to the tub strainer and then an ABS male adapter into the coupling then glue that to my trap. I’ll have access from below.

Tango also PM’d me another drain option to look into.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts