Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Studies show a fast increase of Asian population in U.S moving mainstream. ( Untapped market) How will you attract thier business? Are Pakistanies different from Indians? Chineese different from Koreans? Any good ideas?

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Studies show a fast increase of Asian population in U.S moving mainstream. ( Untapped market) How will you attract thier business? Are Pakistanies different from Indians? Chineese different from Koreans? Any good ideas?
What do you mean by untapped market my friend?
:jester:
Asians have been in America for years ,..........

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Most Asians come from barter economies. They aren't used to buying stuff without haggling. That doesn't make them bad, just different. My wife is Filipina, so I know this empirically. If quote a job, go high, by at least 40%, then let them beat you down to about 110% of what you really want for the job. The extra 10% is for the aggravation:thumbup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
What I like to concentrate on is nationalities that live together,in certain districts.Like in montreal ,you will have majority of greeks in one area,italions,indians etc.put business cards down the street,for pipe inspection,one bites,they start calling eachother,monkey see,monkey do.you book a saturday.I work for a company and do it parttime.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Most Asians come from barter economies. They aren't used to buying stuff without haggling. That doesn't make them bad, just different. My wife is Filipina, so I know this empirically. If quote a job, go high, by at least 40%, then let them beat you down to about 110% of what you really want for the job. The extra 10% is for the aggravation:thumbup:
No offense Jibex, but the Flips are the worst, they will even haggle over material costs, years ago when I worked for a shop that did service work we always doubled the price for them and let them think they won, it was easier than trying to explain pricing structure to them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am not a racist guy but when I first started out I did a Pakistani's bsmt reno. My father told me not to do it because he's been there and felt it but I figured I was safe because it was a friend. I did it basically for the cost of parts and maybe made a little extra but not much. I saw his workmanship and his idea that not all joints in a vac line had to be glued because he was only installing it for resale. I learned my lesson and plus i'll never buy a house from one of them either. if I do i'll do jjbex's pricing.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I'm really not into the games they play...
Qoutes with 37 different combinations of the work to be done...
Negotiations on each of the quotes...
Finally a go ahead with them being told payment at completion...
Renegotiations all through the job....
The job is finished and yet they still want to negotiate....
The bill is written and yet they still want to negotiate....

Now comes the real touchy part...
Even when your work is perfect they start insulting your work as yet another negotiation tactic...
One of these days I'll probably lose it and have to go up the river.

Oh yea the last trick comes out...
The :censored: :censored::censored::censored::censored: didn't comprehend payment on completion!:furious:
You send bill? Hell No!
You come here tommorrow I bring you check...
Meet me here 8AM.

Now ya sit there wondering if yet he's jacking you arround again...

Next morning as you get ready to leave the house he calls he's running behind...
meet me at 9 AM

9 AM you're there he's not...
Call I'm on the way traffic yada yada yada....:furious:

9:45 the drywall contractor shows up ready to quote the walls and ceilings that needed to be repaired from the leaks... Lotsa luck pal!

10AM he shows up!
Show him the work, and present the bill same price he agreed on the day before....
Let's negotiate some more!
Too late pal it's already in the computer and there is no one at the office to change anything! :censored: You!

Noon I'm finally on my way to do productive work!

I add in 2-4 hours on the job just for the games they play!

Here was a case where all I did was repair 2 freeze damaged pipes in the wall behind the tub an easy find the spray holed the drywall. one split on the hot and one on the cold. Then there was a leak in the ceiling on the 1/2" copper supply to the toilet, and I replaced a posi temp cartridge and clip. where it had pushed out from freezing. the valve body was okay.

I charged him $1200. Yea thats a lot more than anyone else would pay but time is money and if I get jacked around I get paid.

If they would learn how business is done in this country they would be a lot better off. I know how to deal with them!

Tell you the truth I don't seek their business and I don't want it!
The best thing that could happen IMHO is they say my first quote is to high and negotiations end that way...
No time wasted onto productive work!

·
Wrenchboy
25 Posts
Learn to negotiate guys,,,,

Then charge a negotiation fee,,,,

Wouldnt be great if we could just do good work and go home???

:whistling2::whistling2::whistling2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts