Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the strangest thing you ever removed from a sewer line?
Me? We pulled out 9 pair of G-String panties. The woman was about 65 years old and had 2 nieces living with her. She had a coniption fit when she saw them!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
A full can of beer, cable and blades running an orangeburg pipe, could not get past this one spot, backhoe dug up the spot, cut the line and there is was, no one wanted to drink it, that's for sure.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Does a vent stack count?

I pulled an 8' 2X4 out of a vent stack of the ADA building in Chicago rodding from the roof. the building is 27 stories tall, and I snagged it in the last crossover, which was thirty feet down.

I also cut out a section of vent stack in that same building on the tenth floor to remove a four foot long piece of 1-1/4 black steel pipe that had been in there since the building was built in the sixties.

Something tells me the plumbers on that job didn't get along well with others during construction.

·
Registered
378 Posts
One that sticks out was a squirrel which had gotten stuck in a bldg. sewer.The thing was hairless and bloated.When I first dug it up I was like what the hell,I saw the busted fitting and saw claws and my first instinct was that it was a baby gator.It was the first sewer I repaired after moving to Florida,guess I had gator on the brain,they're all over the place.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
I have had a squirrel tangled up in my cable before. I have found rats, squirrels, and a rabbit (no cap on clean out, he must have fell in).
I found a bunch of condoms at the interance of the setic tank. I had THE MOM at the tank when I pulled the lid.:laughing::laughing: It was a priceless look. She had a teenage boy at the time. It was kinda uncomfortable feeling there for a second. Really didn't know what to say except, "Yep, theres the problem".

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Condoms for me too but the couple didn't use condoms and the husband just came home from a monthlong business trip. Talk about akward silence when they saw that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just today i got a call for a smell in the garage. Customer had an open vent in the garage for the combo sewer/storm line. Told him that is where the smell is coming from. He said that hasnt had a lid for acouple yrs and never had a smell before from there. SO i told him lets jet the line to clean it. After a few mins of jetting and not being able to get thru the trap, i saw something that looked like a wire in the trap. I reached down to get the wire and found out it was the tail of a huge sewer rat :sick:

After that i was able to get the jet hose thru the trap :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Had rottens , condoms ,panties , tampons etc ,,,,
WORST was a BIG vibrator that was from an apartment complex that had gotten wedged in the line in the street . HILARIOUS !!! Still worked ,,,, not that anyone took it home ,,, but we HAD to know !!

Cal

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had rottens , condoms ,panties , tampons etc ,,,,
WORST was a BIG vibrator that was from an apartment complex that had gotten wedged in the line in the street . HILARIOUS !!! Still worked ,,,, not that anyone took it home ,,, but we HAD to know !!

Cal
Energizers?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've pulled Kentucky Fried Chicken out of a toilet, as well as giant belt buckles. I've seen dental floss accumulate in a drain until it plugged.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I just pulled roots from the toilet with my general auger, going in fully extended through the trap this afternoon, customer was standing right there also.

I have to say, tampons and condoms and the women that are home are never at fault, it is always the maid or the nanny fault:no:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Half a rat.... A skoal can out of a wall hung toliet along with dirty boxers to go along with it in a Target mens bathroom. Can was half full.... and so were the drawers. a 1 1/2 dwv 90 that fell off a condesate line into the 4" main vent stack on top of a restraunt. And a cooking thermometer.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've pulled 2" ABS fittings out of 3" drain lines 6-12 mths after the house was built. It usually involves cutting into a full drain pipe near a san tee and fishing the fitting out with hands or in one case a 10' stick of 1'' copper pipe

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I've pulled a 10' section of 3" out of a 20' section of 4" ABS once, while cleaning out the line could not figure out why it was real tight in one area but not the other, dug it up and sure enough, cut into the line to find the problem. I takes some brains to make that mistake.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
How about this? Underwear clogging up the toilet. You dig it out and the HO stammers that they used to keep a stack of underwear on the back of the toilet and one must have fallen in.

BULL! They crapped themselves and were cleaning it out and it got away from them. The sh** stains on the underwear told the true story.

Had it happen several times.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had one that the toilet would flush fine, untill you dumped and wiped. Then it would back up. Found a pen in the toidy!

Another I pulled out a scuba diver GI Joe action figure

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
A softball.........It was almost exactly the same diameter as the ID of 4" clay pipe. As you guys know older clay piping came in 5' sections and because each joint does not always line up inside at each hub, the ball got stuck. I slammed the camera into the ball and pushed it to the next joint..then the next ..the next..and so on till it dropped into the 12" main in the street. Waste treatments problem now.:laughing::laughing::whistling2:

The home owner, a Plumber friend of mine, said he remembered placing the ball on top of a cleanout riser because he didn't have a cleanout plug and he didn't want his small dog to climb into it.:no:

I might have had a better story if I had seen his dog at the end of my camera:laughing:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts