Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Pipes & pucks
663 Posts
Kind of a funny story about my exam...

I did have isos on mine, so the plumbing exam was backwards from every on else. Plumbing exam was trade on day 1, business and finance on day 2. That let them grade our isos after day 1 so we could get a score after day 2. The iso was 30% of the exam and passing was 70%, so if you didn't do well on them, passing was almost impossible.

I finished my morning exam on day 1 about 15 minutes before we were allowed to leave. The proctor in my section thought I was giving up. I finished the afternoon session in about the same time, I was the first one out of the room again. As I was walking to my car, I saw someone who I thought I recognized, he called me out by name...I drew a blank on who he was. I went over to talk to him and he reminded me - I had taken his job at my last company. He was there to grade the iso drawings. I about pissed myself, but luckily the exams had numbers on the iso drawings and no names. I'm 100% sure I would have failed if he had known which drawings were mine!

I think out of 80 guys who took the plumbing exam that cycle, less than 10 of us passed. The test was tough, but not impossible.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
R.S.E., Master Plumber
1,398 Posts
In Canada all Plumbing apprentices “now” write the 306a Plumbing exam, which when passed, you get your Red Seal license.. Red Seal means you’re licensed to work anywhere in Canada, and you get the acronym R.S.E.(red seal endorsed).
(The CoT,{college of trades} wants tradespeople to have an acronym, to boost or give us some more credit for our qualifications)

So now, to get your Mater plumber(Toronto) you need your Red Seal/306a, your Plumbing contractor lic., your criminal background check and clearance, Healty and safety... blah blah, and a few other things.. total cost about $1000.00

You need you “Plumbing contractors lic.” To pull permits and to apply for the city’s Plumbing rebate programs(backwater valves, sumps/backup pumps etc..)

·
Super Moderator
12,497 Posts
Kind of a funny story about my exam...

I did have isos on mine, so the plumbing exam was backwards from every on else. Plumbing exam was trade on day 1, business and finance on day 2. That let them grade our isos after day 1 so we could get a score after day 2. The iso was 30% of the exam and passing was 70%, so if you didn't do well on them, passing was almost impossible.

I finished my morning exam on day 1 about 15 minutes before we were allowed to leave. The proctor in my section thought I was giving up. I finished the afternoon session in about the same time, I was the first one out of the room again. As I was walking to my car, I saw someone who I thought I recognized, he called me out by name...I drew a blank on who he was. I went over to talk to him and he reminded me - I had taken his job at my last company. He was there to grade the iso drawings. I about pissed myself, but luckily the exams had numbers on the iso drawings and no names. I'm 100% sure I would have failed if he had known which drawings were mine!

I think out of 80 guys who took the plumbing exam that cycle, less than 10 of us passed. The test was tough, but not impossible.

I took my exam in Kissimmee. At that time there were only {3} locations in the whole state of Florida to take the exam; Miami, Kissimmee or Tallahassee.

I studied diligently for the trade knowledge only. Took that in June. After passing, then and only then did I start studying for the Bus. & Finance exam. Then I took that in Dec. of that same year.

It was too intimidating to try and take both exams on back-to-back days. I scheduled them months apart.

I will never forget that wonderful feeling of passing. It was a great feeling!

You my friend must be a smart man to take and pass both exams on consecutive days. You are in an elite group.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, I am taking the state of Florida plumbing exam Feb 2019. Has anyone taken the exams in the pass 6 months, if yes, can you provide a little insight on what i need to look for?

Thanks in Advance
Eric
Brother how did it go with the test? I'm scheduled to take mine in August the trade knowledge portion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took my exam in Kissimmee. At that time there were only {3} locations in the whole state of Florida to take the exam; Miami, Kissimmee or Tallahassee.

I studied diligently for the trade knowledge only. Took that in June. After passing, then and only then did I start studying for the Bus. & Finance exam. Then I took that in Dec. of that same year.

It was too intimidating to try and take both exams on back-to-back days. I scheduled them months apart.

You my friend must be a smart man to take and pass both exams on consecutive days. You are in an elite group.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Mine is scheduled for August taking it down in Kissimmee as well just the trade knowledge portion haven't even delved into the business and finance yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,497 Posts
Mine is scheduled for August taking it down in Kissimmee as well just the trade knowledge portion haven't even delved into the business and finance yet.

That is a good way to go....take only the trade knowledge part of the exam. Once you pass that, THEN concentrate on the business & finance exam. It's too much to try and take both exams on back to back days.

I hope you know how to draw Isometric drawings. That was 50% of my grade on the trade knowledge. Another tip: do the isos first. Don't try to do the 120 multiple choice questions first. All those 120 multiple choice questions are only worth 50% of your grade making each mult. choice question worth like 1/2 a point each.
Some guys have done the mult. choice questions first and then they run out of time for the isos. Big mistake. Do the {5} isometric drawings first and get those out of the way.

·
Super Moderator
12,497 Posts
Or maybe you get 50 mult. choice questions in the morning with the {5} isos, I can't remember. Then I think in the afternoon sessionyou get 120 multiple choice. Remember, the sessions are timed. The exam is a timed test. I used every minute of the 4 hrs. and 45 minutes of the morning session to do the {5} isos and then answer the multiple choice questions.

As I say, do the isometric drawings first. Then blaze through the multiple choice questions. Don't spend a long time hunting for the answer in all the code books for a single question. Move on and come back to that one.

Also another tip, I saw a lot of medical gas questions in the multiple choice questions in the morning session. I'm warning you, this exam is intimidating.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts