Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am taking the state of Florida plumbing exam Feb 2019. Has anyone taken the exams in the pass 6 months, if yes, can you provide a little insight on what i need to look for?

Thanks in Advance
Eric

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Classic! I'm glad I wasn't sipping coffee when I read this....LOL.

ok your in florida, so how does a guy not in the trade or hasnt done any plumbing since to 90s by his own admission take the florida plumbing license exam??? here is his 1st post..

Hello to all! After reading through the forum for a few weeks, I decided to signup. Presently, I am full time realtor looking to get back into the field. I was a foreman for a plumbing company in Indianapolis back in the late 90's. I am planning to take the plumbing exam in Feb 2019!!

I look forward to posting and reading all the great information that's here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys i had to lol at this as well. I forgot to post, i have been working with my uncle for the past 2 years.. I deserve to be roasted...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was a Navy Seabee,for 6 years. From what i know all you have to do is take the exam, I have the 4 years experience they are looking for, I am thinking about taking a prep class to prepare for the exam!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I was a Navy Seabee,for 6 years. From what i know all you have to do is take the exam, I have the 4 years experience they are looking for, I am thinking about taking a prep class to prepare for the exam!
Eric don't waste your time, you need 5 years working as a plumber in Florida and you need to prove it with W-2. You can take the exam but you won't get the license.
My 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
12,497 Posts
Eric don't waste your time, you need 5 years working as a plumber in Florida and you need to prove it with W-2. You can take the exam but you won't get the license.
My 2 cents.

When I sat for the exam, the state required {4} yrs. Maybe it's changed, I don't know. I know that up in NYC, the dept. of bldgs. requires W-2's, as well as the master plumber stating that a candidate worked for him for the required {7} yrs. of field experience. {NYC is tough to get a master plumbing license; you guys w/ it should be proud. NYC doesn't give those away.}

Now in FL, they did a background check; at the federal, state and local level. I had to get my fingerprints checked by the F.B.I. Also, they now require {I'm told} a minimum credit score.

Now years ago, the state required like $10,000 in the bank I was told. Whether that was just a field rumor spread falsely I don't know. But when I sat for the exam, I had to have a letter of credit I think from a bank stating that I was approved for that dollar amount. Regardless, my mom sent me $5,000 which I deposited in my bank. Then, after I got my license, I of course mailed it back. {I have lots of love for mom.}

·
Super Moderator
12,497 Posts
I dont know florida tests, so what does that let you do? its not a master plumber license as you need a certain amount of hours and that has to be proven..

He'll need at least {4} years. The state counts months, so that's {48} months of verifiable field experience. He'll need to go to a licensed plumbing contractor to sign a sheet attesting to that and it has to be notarized. Then the application has to be filled out correctly; when I submitted mine, I rec'd. a deficiency letter from the state. I had to correct or clarify some info on my application.

If he can't show the required field experience {and it has to be proved} then he cannot get a license.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
He'll need at least {4} years. The state counts months, so that's {48} months of verifiable field experience. He'll need to go to a licensed plumbing contractor to sign a sheet attesting to that and it has to be notarized. Then the application has to be filled out correctly; when I submitted mine, I rec'd. a deficiency letter from the state. I had to correct or clarify some info on my application.

If he can't show the required field experience {and it has to be proved} then he cannot get a license.
ok, but is a plumbing contractor license the same as a master plumbers license??

·
Pipes & pucks
663 Posts
Certified Plumbing Contractor in Florida can license (qualify) a plumbing company, pull permits, run jobs, basically anything necessary to run a plumbing business.

You can't take the test until you're approved to do so. You'll have to submit your application showing all relevant experience, copies of W-2's, etc. in order to get a seat at the exam. You'll need all the books on the list, with no notes or underlining, for the exam. They will check them before the exam starts. You will need to show experience in all the required areas. If you don't have experience in every area documented on you application, you won't get approved to take the exam.

I passed on my first try, many don't. I'm a book nerd and have always been good at tests, so it was easy for me. I didn't take a course, I just read all the books over & over.

Honestly if you have as little experience as you say you do, you've got no business taking the exam.

·
Super Moderator
12,497 Posts
ok, but is a plumbing contractor license the same as a master plumbers license??

Yes. The statute calls me: A state certified plumbing contractor.

We have the option of going for a state license or a county license. With {67} counties in FL, I didn't even bother trying to get a county license. Then the license holder can only legally work in and pull permits in that county.

·
Super Moderator
12,497 Posts
Certified Plumbing Contractor in Florida can license (qualify) a plumbing company, pull permits, run jobs, basically anything necessary to run a plumbing business.

You can't take the test until you're approved to do so. You'll have to submit your application showing all relevant experience, copies of W-2's, etc. in order to get a seat at the exam. You'll need all the books on the list, with no notes or underlining, for the exam. They will check them before the exam starts. You will need to show experience in all the required areas. If you don't have experience in every area documented on you application, you won't get approved to take the exam.

I passed on my first try, many don't. I'm a book nerd and have always been good at tests, so it was easy for me. I didn't take a course, I just read all the books over & over.

Honestly if you have as little experience as you say you do, you've got no business taking the exam.

Same with me. I didn't take any class and I passed both exams on my 1st try. I also studied all the code books, did many practice exams and did nearly {200} isometric drawings to get prepared.

Hroark, did you do isos? My friend doesn't remember doing them. Maybe the drawings were not required years ago?

I was a nervous wreck taking the trade knowledge exam {with (5) isometric drawings}. The business & finance was not as bad since it only had multiple choice questions and I was able to take that one near my home at a testing center.

But the trade knowledge was {2} hrs. drive. I had to get a hotel room the night before and couldn't fall asleep until like 2 AM then wake up at 6 AM to be at testing center at 7AM. What a relief to pass that one on the 1st try.

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
Don't know about Florida. Many States recognize Military training for at least part of the required hours. A lot of variables.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
when I was taking my plumbing test way back when..there was a guy that said he goes around the country just taking plumbing tests to get licensed so the hack company he worked for can claim they are licensed plumbers.need to say with that info out in the open..he didnt pass the test....he never held a tool in his life and im sure his time was shown fraudulently that he may have worked for a plumbing company but not as a plumber..but thats what goes on then and now..no relation to the OP, just putting out a test experience...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
For that same reason the construction board in Florida (DBPR) has making a lot of changes during the last two year, plumbing and electrical are the most tougher (too many hackers or books nerds passing without any experience on the field).
Anybody can take and pass the test but doesn't mean anything, the board won't approve his/her license that easy once apply for (especially plumbing).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts