Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello boys and girls,

I'm new to Plumbing Zone and the first thing I need to ask is I'm from Florida and looking into getting a plumbing license. Wow this state isn't right you don't need a plumbing license to go to work for somebody else but have to run the gauntlet to get your own license.
Would any of you fellow plumbers in Florida like to give me to give a run down of what this process,cost and personal responsibly would be?
I've been though the DBPR web site and have called about six times but never completely adds up. I see things like
"Applicants must document a net worth of $10,000 and submit a financial statement documented by a CPA", $600.00 in books you have to bring to the tests, Electronic finger printing 50+ dollars.
I've had to explain twice to state licensing people what a plumbing code is.
Is this real or am I smoking something really good?:blink:
Thanks, Bob Morris

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I just went through that wild ride last year in n florida buddy. What do you wanna know first. OH, and there is no more net worth of 10k needed. They are being sued right now over that, so they did away with it. Your probably looking at that part the way I did. If I start my business, THEN, i can show a net worth eventually, of 10K. Its a bunch of BS. You need to do things in this order, and you will be okay.

1.Register for exam
2.Take exam
3.Pass Exam
4.All other requirements are then needed for license issue.

1.a. Finger printing
2.b. Work history advadvit(must be signed by a CERTIFIED plumbing contractor. NO RFs allowed.) Fax it to me, and Ill sign it.
3.c. Proof of liability insurance
4.d. Workmans comp exemp proof
5.e. Passing results of exam
6.f. Credit history, of personal and business credit,(this one gets me too, because, how can there be a credit history of a business that doesnt exist?)
7.g.Turn in Application with all fees
8.h. Sit and wait.

·
Registered
15 Posts
get the application from the DBPR at myflorida.com. Fill the app out show sufficient work experience exactly as it states in the guidelines for a plumbing contractor. obtain the book list from the website, we are using the FPC2007 as of March 1st 2009. (gotta love how up to date the state is). after you pass the test send results along with fees and documents and wait, then wait, then wait some more:laughing:. the credit check if your business hasn't been around long enough will go off the CFO for the business (this could be you or someone else associated with the company). Good luck all the info can be found on the state website easier than talking to the call center.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Ceo is right. The call center sucks. Those are trainees that do not know the answers. My biggest piece of advise for the exam is PRACTICE the iso drawings. They are 30% of the trade exam. Practice multi story buildings. You WILL have two drawings that are infact multi story buildings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses RS & CEO.
So I can apply for and take the test with out getting involved in insurance finger prints and misc other stuff till I pass the test?

My book list I printed out a couple of days ago says 2004 FPC. But should be 2007?

These ISO drawings are they going to be graded for neatness not just content?

Still haven't found the content of whats in the Business & Finance part of test.

Do I have go to these tests with all 10 of of the books in the state list?

Thanks again Bob Morris

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Are you talking certified license or registered by a Block exam. Certified license qualifications include 5 years experience and 1 year as a foreman that someone signs off for you. Or some educational equivalent such as civil engineer degree etc. I think. Just finished with an employee. I think paying the money for one of those help courses can actually help.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
You can no longer become a Registerd plumbing contractor in FL, you have to be certified.

Yes, the drawings have to be neat and clean. The give you ISO paper for those.

The business and finance content is here, along with the references at the bottom of the page http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/servop/testing/documents/bus_fin_eci.pdf

Yes, take all the books with you. The majority of the business and finance questions come from the FL contractor manual, and the accounting book.

Also, your right, take the test first. Make sure you pass it before you spend the money on all that other stuff. You looking at about $50 for the finger printing, $400 in credit reports, $200 in corporation fees( or you may go LLC), $50 dollars in workmans comp exempt fees, Insurance fees.

·
Banned
4 Posts
I need help too

I too have been trying to get my license in Florida but keep running into a wall.
I have been doing plumbing for over thirty years and have worked for a half dozen plumbing contractors in Florida in the 80's & 90's. I was mostly service and repair, but have worked on about a dozen new homes. I currently work for the State of New Hampshire Community College system where I am the safety, security and maintenance supervisor and have been here for the past three years. I am also a state licensed septic contractor and own Monadnock Main Line "Ready Rooter" mainlinerooter.com
My children are grown now, my son graduates high school this year and I would like to move back to the Florida Keys. I would like to get my plumbing license and start a business, but I was never licensed as a journeymen plumber. Many of the contractors that I worked for at the time did not care that I did not have one and told me that I did not really need one running service, this has come back to bite me now...
I did have a local license from Monroe county issued in 1995 allowing me to run a drain cleaning business, but now they will not even issue one of those and are telling me that I have to be a master plumber to even clean drains.
I really want to move back to Islamorada, but without being able to get my plumbing license there is no way that I could afford to live there as there are no jobs that pay well in the Keys.
Is there anything you can do to help me with my dilemma? I would be willing to pay someone who is willing to help me....

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
I too have been trying to get my license in Florida but keep running into a wall.
I have been doing plumbing for over thirty years and have worked for a half dozen plumbing contractors in Florida in the 80's & 90's. I was mostly service and repair, but have worked on about a dozen new homes. I currently work for the State of New Hampshire Community College system where I am the safety, security and maintenance supervisor and have been here for the past three years. I am also a state licensed septic contractor and own Monadnock Main Line "Ready Rooter" mainlinerooter.com
My children are grown now, my son graduates high school this year and I would like to move back to the Florida Keys. I would like to get my plumbing license and start a business, but I was never licensed as a journeymen plumber. Many of the contractors that I worked for at the time did not care that I did not have one and told me that I did not really need one running service, this has come back to bite me now...
I did have a local license from Monroe county issued in 1995 allowing me to run a drain cleaning business, but now they will not even issue one of those and are telling me that I have to be a master plumber to even clean drains.
I really want to move back to Islamorada, but without being able to get my plumbing license there is no way that I could afford to live there as there are no jobs that pay well in the Keys.
Is there anything you can do to help me with my dilemma? I would be willing to pay someone who is willing to help me....

What do you want to do? Clean drains only or do plumbing as well?

A friend of mine who is a journeyman plumber (without the journeyman card or license) got an occupational license (now called a business tax receipt) to be a drain cleaner. He can't touch plumbing or even remove a p-trap. I don't know about Monroe county, but in my county you can get a license to clean drains.

The state master's license has alot of red tape associated with it, but it's worth it, in my opinion.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What happens if you have crappy credit personally ? Will they deny you for such a reason ? How do they rate you ? Sounds like a joke .

·
Registered
22 Posts
When did they do away with registered plumbers? My dad recently got his and I was planning on working under him and having him sign off on me. From what I'm reading, this isnt possible?

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Does Florida reciprocate with KY or OH?

I was thinking about (in the future) getting a masters license in florida and arizona, depending on which place has less immigration issues.

I'm not going to be putting a jackhammer in my hands when I'm in my 50's either. All slab leaks go to someone else.

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
What happens if you have crappy credit personally ? Will they deny you for such a reason ? How do they rate you ? Sounds like a joke .

With less than good credit, the state asks you to post a bond. They check applicants out real well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ok , makes sense , how much of a bond could they ask for ? Here in NYC , plumbers who do water mains and sewers must have one and it is determin by the amountof permits you will pull in a year.

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
I don't know the amount of a license bond, I didn't need one. A friend of mine did time in federal prison for trafficking in narcotics and the state gave him a license. He's a good guy, clean, God-fearing. All that stuff is behind him. He told me that in his class a man asked the instructor what about a rape conviction. Everyone turned around and looked at the guy asking the question. The teacher, I'm told, said to the guy that the state might not grant a sexual offender a license too easily. But my bud got his (plumbing). So even with a felony conviction, it is still possible to get a contractor's license. In those cases the applicant has to personally appear before the const. industry licensing board. And they'll decide on a case-by-case basis.

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
When did they do away with registered plumbers? My dad recently got his and I was planning on working under him and having him sign off on me. From what I'm reading, this isnt possible?

I'm not sure about the state having done away with county master's licenses. Maybe they did, I don't know. I met a plumber in the local supply house who has his county master's license. He was asking me to pull a permit for him in another county. That's why I never bothered with the county license, I went for the state-wide one.

·
Pipes & pucks
663 Posts
Does Florida reciprocate with KY or OH?

I was thinking about (in the future) getting a masters license in florida and arizona, depending on which place has less immigration issues.

I'm not going to be putting a jackhammer in my hands when I'm in my 50's either. All slab leaks go to someone else.
Florida doesn't reciprocate with anyone. You can have a registered professional engineer in your state sign the application I believe, but you'll still have to go through the whole process.

Word of advice to anyone wanting to take the Florida test. Get the home study course from Palm Construction School. I passed with a 90%+ on both plumbing & business on my first try, just studied & did the home study course. Well worth the $$!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Florida doesn't reciprocate with anyone. You can have a registered professional engineer in your state sign the application I believe, but you'll still have to go through the whole process.

Word of advice to anyone wanting to take the Florida test. Get the home study course from Palm Construction School. I passed with a 90%+ on both plumbing & business on my first try, just studied & did the home study course. Well worth the $$!

Ditto^

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
That's what I'm being told for KY, doesn't reciprocate.

I don't mind testing out, going through it. I'm moving to warmer climate someday and I don't know which direction it'll be.

Arizona sounds great...I just don't know if I'll ever make it out west.

I wouldn't mind being a snowbird back n' forth to ky.

In that case, I'd buy a plumbing co. down in florida... run it from ky 6 months a year.

It can be done that way via internet now with cameras, gps, phone routers.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Florida License

I am in need of someone to verify my years of work in order to take the State test. I have everything else in place. The two companies that I worked for the longest have went out of business and the owners have past away....I am a good plumber with years of experience in service and repair looking to get my license so that i cam move back to the Upper Keys and start my business, or even work for someone. I use to have an occupational license that was issued to me by Monroe county to do drain cleaning but now they say that I have to be a master plumber to even do that which I find ridiculous....

1 - 20 of 59 Posts