Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in one not long ago, not aware of it, there to set lavs and new faucet in kitchen, walked in and checked it out, vacant house, a rental the boss owns, walked out side and a painter shows up, the walks up and says, did you know there were fleas in the house, my eyes opened :eek:, say what, as he bent down and started to pick them off his socks, at about that time I started to scratch, when a flea bites me I get welts, called my shop and said the house need to be bombed before I go back in there, I went right home, washed my cloths, took a shower, got some flea killer spay for the truck seat and proceeded to kill them off, a week later I boobed my house, cause I found a few on me that came from the floor. I went back there a few days later and trust me I did not want to return, but did, I watched my surrounding close, looking for a flea. I hate fleas, my wife said she counted over 60 bites on my side back and legs, that was horrible.

Even encounter a flea ridden house before?

Reactions: SlickRick

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
no, but had been called for a stopped kitchen sink and after laying on my back under the sink turned on my flashlight I noticed there was about 2 million roaches under there!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
A house I just re-piped was built just off the a body of water. They had some seriuos issues with mosquitoes and spiders. Black widows and brown recluses (sp?) Before I went under I went and bought 7 insect bombs. We drug all of our tools out and I bombed underneath the house. We never got bit or saw anything but spider webs under there. I have full faith in insect bombs in crawl spaces now.

·
THAT GUY FROM THAT PLACE
57 Posts
A couple of years ago, one of our techs crawled under house for maybe an hour to make a repair. When he got out and took off his coveralls, he was itching and noticed about a dozen red bumps on his ribcage. No big deal right?
The next day there were twice as many bumps and he wasn't feeling well. By day 3 he had a fever and was admitted into the hospital and had bumps all down one side. The doc said that the fleas had laid eggs in his skin and they were multiplying:eek:. He missed over a week of work b/c of this crap.
It is kinda funny to us now, but it could have killed him. So now if I have a house in the heat of summer with sandy soil under it, I use a fogger under it. :yes:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
To kill fleas multiple treatments are required. The eggs hatch out. Roaches do carry diseases. Easy way to check for fleas is to look in your socks. I've been through this multiple times. Deep woods OFF mosquito repellant works pretty good but not 100%

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
They're called sand fleas around here. A little different than the ones on pets, or so I've been told.
Use to get my butt kicked when I was at Parris Island for killing sand fleas.

·
Super Moderator
12,497 Posts
In the North East (NY, NJ, CT etc.) you have to be careful with deer ticks, they may carry Lyme disease.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
In the North East (NY, NJ, CT etc.) you have to be careful with deer ticks, they may carry Lyme disease.
Yea no kidding I've had it twice! :furious::censored::furious:

A couple of my favorite fishin holes are in Lyme, CT.

Fleas aren't a problem FrontLine works...

·
Registered
890 Posts
I can handle fleas and most spiders. But I live in California and the worst spider we have are black widows. If I had to deal with Brown Recluses I wouldn't go anywhere near a crawlspace I saw a guys whole back heel gone because a brown recluse bit him. That a no no :no:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts