Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
I used to operate an l.e.d "Prime lite" flashlight. The magnets are rare earth so they stick to ducts real well. It has a pivot stand which is great and it has a hook. I have 6 of them (4 in reserve). Be careful as I've seen counterfeits sold in big stores. The only downside are the rechargeable AA batteries that I use, they don't last long when the light is open for an extended time under a sink.

I now use Milwaukee 2352-20. It is way brighter and I use my m-18 batteries. The lights stays on for hours. It is sturdy and I can pivot the angle. What I don't like since I leave the light in the icy truck (Winter) the on/off switch is so stiff you have to really press hard on it. I have to remove the battery after each call or day and store in the warm house. I also noticed the l.e.d's lets off a lot of heat and it warms up the cabinet space of a kitchen sink.
I'm not anxious to feel the heat in the summer, although I purchased the milwaukee personal fan, it will surely help! :biggrin:

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,765 Posts
I have been buying those little Huskey flash lights at HD for about 8 bucks each...... The batteries seem to last forever and if I lose it , I really dont care that much... About 8 inches long and slim ...seems to fit in my back pocket with no problems......

I used to use those large police sized Mag lights, for both light and as a back up club...but the batteries and quality of the things seem to wear out fast ...Too heavy to carry around all day long

·
Registered
6,502 Posts

This is the light I like. Only thing I don’t like about it is where the power button is located. Thankfully the price went down. Oh, and I decided to buy a good head lamp.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GZYNX8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JIFRTHY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Same battery in both lights. Already have the chargers.

This is the drop in I got for my 2d mag.

https://asflashlights.com/led-upgra...x-xhp50-dropin-bulb-for-magltie-6-d-cell.html

I like the 2d mag because it's easy to use with thick gloves and the lens is replaceable with any standard 2" pressure gauge glass. It's also waterproof. On high it lasts about 50 minutes, on the lowest setting which is equivalent to my pocket flashlight I get like 10 hours.

You can get the 18650 cells from old cordless tool battery packs. Usually when a pack fails it's just 1 or 2 cells bad out of 5 or10 I keep a bunch in a plano box in the door of my van. I have a nextar vc4 charger at home and in the van. It will charge just about any cell.

I have been carrying a "J5 Tactical" flashlight since xmas, my wife got it for me. It takes a single AA or a 3.2v lithium cell of the same size.

Normally I get the cheap flashlights from the hardware store that take 3xAAA cells and I use an 18650 instead.

I also have a military style flashlight that took 6xAA cells but I use an 18650 with spacers instead. That stays in the camo van.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,334 Posts
This is the drop in I got for my 2d mag.

https://asflashlights.com/led-upgra...x-xhp50-dropin-bulb-for-magltie-6-d-cell.html

I like the 2d mag because it's easy to use with thick gloves and the lens is replaceable with any standard 2" pressure gauge glass. It's also waterproof. On high it lasts about 50 minutes, on the lowest setting which is equivalent to my pocket flashlight I get like 10 hours.

You can get the 18650 cells from old cordless tool battery packs. Usually when a pack fails it's just 1 or 2 cells bad out of 5 or10 I keep a bunch in a plano box in the door of my van. I have a nextar vc4 charger at home and in the van. It will charge just about any cell.

I have been carrying a "J5 Tactical" flashlight since xmas, my wife got it for me. It takes a single AA or a 3.2v lithium cell of the same size.

Normally I get the cheap flashlights from the hardware store that take 3xAAA cells and I use an 18650 instead.

I also have a military style flashlight that took 6xAA cells but I use an 18650 with spacers instead. That stays in the camo van.

Forgot about this thread!

It’s been a long time since I’ve had one of those old military torches! The ones I had were 2d, never seen one use 6xAA, but than again it’s been about 20 years since I was in. A kid I worked with joined the USMC part time about 5 years ago. I can’t believe the changes in boot camp!

I’m not very familiar with the DC side, only 3 phase, so I’m not comfortable with experimenting.

I think we still have some old dewalt batteries, maybe I’ll crack one open and see if I can use some.

With the one I like, I usually charge the one battery every other week. One battery lasts about two years before I need to replace it.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,454 Posts
My favourites:

Pelican 1920 LED I don’t remember how many lumens, but it’s bright with 2 settings, 2x AAA batteries, and they last a while.

M18 work LED work light, it’s awesome. 2 dif hooks to hang at dif Angles, the head tilts too, rugged and is bright.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,334 Posts
Got the headlamp today. Really like it! I’ve had other headlamps in the past, even a name brand, don’t remember which one. It was good, but a PITA to adjust the brightness.

I really like every Nitecore product I’ve bought. Now that they separated the mode and power button, I’ll be buying their product from now on.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The pinnacle of EDC flashlights and all I use: http://www.zebralight.com/
I carry the (SC600w IV Plus) in my pocket & use the (H600c Mk IV) for my headlight. These are Top Quality lights & the best I have ever used, and believe me I've bought lots of flashlights over the years. :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got 2 of them coming from e-bay for 20 bucks..
Some of the homes that I go in to give estimates for landlords are "hell holes" or '' crack houses" and it its really not a bad idea to have that flashlight on me .

Occasionally you encounter the more argumentative renters expecting and demanding the problem be fixed RIGHT NOW...and you are only there to just give a free estimate.......

.fuc/ the cheap assed landlord, I have been waiting a week for hot water..I need me some hot water today...!!!!!

just light them up and get the hell out.....😆😆.👍..
I have had service calls were renter's were being very IRATE and looking for trouble. This one repeat customer with a sewer line that cloggs up every few months had a DRUG dealer CLOWN 🤡 of a boyfriend there. As I was snaking the main line from the cleanout in the basement this trouble Maker claimed that 40 feet away I damaged a 2" copper laundry drain. Very nicely I told him I would repair it, I have to get supplies for it and my other ROOTER machine be right back. 10 years later I have not been back there

·
Registered
Plumber
135 Posts
WHO ARE YOU ? YOU NEED TO POST A INTRO
He is the pipeologist...lol like the plumberologist.. or sewerologist... lol... what joke.. does he know randy...

I feel for you mac. I wanna sign up for premium just to give you a kick. I have enjoyed this place. Are there perks to being premium.. you could PM me if you wanted..not neccesarily needed.. finishing my move to the mountains and getting my financial **** in order

21 - 35 of 35 Posts