Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is exhaust and intake piping for two munchkin boilers (made by heat transfer products in MA) in a residential duplex. The owners had issues with the the boilers not lighting off properly and the flue eco switch tripping and lockout errors leaving the building without heat and hot water.

I went out on the roof where these terminate and instantly knew the lighting off issue and excess corrsion inside boiler cabniets. The fact the original installer did not stagger the intake and exhaust to prevent flue gas recirculation let alone install proper fittings on the make up air either.

We installed manufactuer recomended intake tees to prevent rain water and debris from going down into the boiler cabniet. Both exhausts also did not have stainless derbris screens installed and we found all kinds of debris such as leaves and pieces of roofing paper and wood obstructing the flue and causing them to overheat.

The solution was to vacuum out all the debris from exhaust and intake and properly stagger vents and install stainless steel debris screens and replace flue ecos..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good job.

The heating side of this industry has always intrigued me and the troubleshooting is the best part.

You should get the yearly maintenance contract on them now :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys the owner had two other companys there to look at the problem and none of them looked at the flue penetrations...:whistling2:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
the intakes are the san tees and the exhaust is the longer risers the exhaust has to be above the intake by 2' to prevent flue gases from being sucked back into the gas valve and starving the boiler of fresh oxygen. Proper intake and exhaust is one of the more crucial things to look out for when installing these mod con boilers proper length and sizing etc.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
205 Posts
super necro
damn. almost 11 years i just serviced these same boilers today, still kicking but need upgrading soon.
-Plumb
I install a lot of HTP boilers as you know they are manufactured in MA and that’s where I live and work. Have you installed any of their new Elite-XL commercial boilers? We just did 4-800,000btu models. They are much better to install than the old Mod Cons. All the trappings come off the back and they got rid of those cheesy nipples that were held on with those hateful snap rings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts