·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GC told me PVC waste and pex supply.
HO says cast iron and copper
HO footing the bill
Cast iron and copper it is.

Never done cast in a house, though I have done many outside drains with it. HO wants cast so he dont hear the water running. I talked to my dad and he suggested to do the horizontal and vertical with cast, but then switch to PVC at the traps. Makes sense, you will not hear the water running through the traps anyway. vents I will do in PVC as well. I am going to take some pix later on after its done.

First time for everything

·
Registered
584 Posts
We have done several residential houses like that. It looks pretty when you're done, black waste lines, and white vents.
It can help win bids to. Give a price for all cast iron then another price for cast iron/pvc with an explanation. If they bite on the PVC vents your price is pretty much guaranteed to be competitive. That is unless that is the standard where you are, around here we seem to be the only company that's caught on to that trick yet.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you are using No Hub spend the money to get a torque wrench for it.
We use a cordless screw gun with a 5/16 (I think) socket in it. Using the torque wrench you can calibrate the screw gun to the correct torque. It's not a bad idea to check after ever five clamps or so that the screw gun is still correct or to even go over every clamp with the torque wrench. Saves a lot of time over tightening them all down with just the torque wrench.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
We use a cordless screw gun with a 5/16 (I think) socket in it. Using the torque wrench you can calibrate the screw gun to the correct torque. It's not a bad idea to check after ever five clamps or so that the screw gun is still correct or to even go over every clamp with the torque wrench. Saves a lot of time over tightening them all down with just the torque wrench.
That's a great idea.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a "T" torque wrench already. I always use it foe bands because if I use a 6 way screwdriver it ruins the end, or I overtighten the band.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
When your running alot of cast its good to keep a few batteries on charge as well if your using your drill.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Must be a regional thing? Never heard of that brand. I have a Ridgid. They any good?

Ridgid's are disposable, Seekonk makes a wide variety of precision torque tools, and they can be re-calibrated. It's not a regional thing, it's a quality thing.

You can see what Seekonk has to offer here.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Thanks. I meant the ready availability being a regional thing.

If I ever get into a lot of CI I will remember this.
When it comes to tools I usually buy the best, I have accounts with the local Snap-on, Mac, and Matco dealers, but I also use my tools for a lot more than just plumbing.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
When it comes to tools I usually buy the best, I have accounts with the local Snap-on, Mac, and Matco dealers, but I also use my tools for a lot more than just plumbing.
All my screwdrivers are Snap-on plus a few other tools. I have some Rothenberger pump pliers, Malco wide jaw adjustable wrenches (ouch! on the cost), etc.

I just have never had the need to use a torque wrench more than for service work so just picked up a Ridgid. I am glad for the input though.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Seems to me there used to be a drill-powered tool for tightening both sides of a no-hub evenly. Anybody used one?

·
Registered
538 Posts
lol. i have never installed cast in my life! whats it like to cut? what do u use? im really used to cutting the gunked up garbage out of old houses!

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
I got some Klein nut drivers (1/4 and 5/16) and a torque wrench that tightens to 60 inch pounds before slipping. I usually get task force or kobalt screw drivers, but i prefer deWalt bits for my drill.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts