Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a fun install, never did one before, thought I'd post the pictures here.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Wow!
Never done one yet. Is it like any other connection where you run it to the main, then the town connects to the main theirselves?

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I have done quite a bit of water and sewer main in my day. We used to subdivide land. I average me alone and and operator 250' of 8" and a fire hydrant set per day. 4' 6" deep.

Don't forget your thrust blocking on mechanical joint fittings. They WILL blow off eventually. I don't care if they are mega-lug or not. They get a "dead man"

Lately we have been using MJ x MJ x Flange tees on mains the flanged valve and flanged fire hydrant. MUCH better deal and a whole lot faster.:thumbsup: ad you don't have to worry about blow off.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
some of our mains are bored logs. its tuff finding fittings
Bored Logs, do you guys use your feet to pedal your flintstone cars down the street.:laughing:Seriously,Seriously, it they really are bored, take them to the movies or something.:thumbup::laughing:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget your thrust blocking on mechanical joint fittings.
On that day we called in a hot mix, with trust blocking in mind, had to get the park up and running before close of day, that hydrate cost $1000, about 7 years ago, not sure the cost of them now.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
It may surprise some of you but yes wood pipe is still out there....:eek:
Some of it was installed as late as the 1940's...

This pipe pictured below was dug up in Lansing Michigan in 2000

Have an interesting read here...http://www.sewerhistory.org/

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I have an old broken hydrant in the front yard. It was installed at a movie theater and a car backed over it and knocked it off. I installed the new hydrant with hollow bolts.

As for wooden pipe, I still have some on my property in Utah but it has long been abandoned. It's still kind of neat when I am digging and find some. There is also some poured in place concrete pipe in the canyon next to mine.

Mark

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice job but don't care for that type of shut-off valve. We recently had to do some work in a private townhouse complex and none of the valve handles would work. Probably hadn't ever been used in 30 years. Handles just crumbled. Had to get the city to shut down the whole complex, about 80 homes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts