Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Plumbing Contractor
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you guys fine time to take vacations with your family? Right now my wife and kids are out of town with my in-law on vacation. I was going to go. But I'm in the middle of a 2nd rough and a finish on the other side of town. I need both of them to be done by Wed. ,to start a remodel on Thurs. But , I 'm spose to go to this class in Aug. for a whole week. I just a type of person to say no to my clients. So any suggestions? Scheduling is a hard task for me!

Sorry Nathan and guys I put this on this thread by accident. I was going to start my own but goofed some how?? It's been a long day!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
There it is in a thread of it's own.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
3Kings, exact same boat here.
Right when it seems like things'll slow down the phone rings.
I don't dare leave regulars hanging, but in the same respect, my family really does deserve a getaway.

·
Plumbing Contractor
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have manage to create a little vacation. We are leaving Thursday around 4pm and heading to Michigan to go camping for the 4th of July. Some one told us that they set off fireworks over the lakes. So I guess every major holiday is when I could try to get away.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
You CAN NOT work all the time. I draw a line in the sand certain times of the year and take time off no matter what it costs (and it costs!). I am a one man shop and it hurts when I'm not here. I do carry the phone and will check messages a few times a day. When I return calls I do everything in my power to schedule for after I return. Service work doesn't tend to like that arrangement however so for everything I can't get to because I'm gone, I send to a friend of mine (former employer). He is a one man shop also. I have confidence in his work and the way he treats customers. He loves when I go on vacation! We have an arrangement where if it is a client of mine he handles the call as if he is working for me and keeps the money. If it is a new customer he handles the call as if they called him. Either way he keeps the money but I have the peace of mind that if it is one of my clients he will take care of them and I don't have to worry about him trying to scoop them from me. My annual Myrtle Beach vacation is coming up pretty soon. It will cost me somewhere between 4k - 6k just because I am not at work. Add the money we will spend on vacation and YIKES!!!! Vacations are exspensive! But they are too much fun not to take. If you work all the time you miss too much. I work hard. It's 8:27 and I've been home about 30 minutes. You gotta play some too, recharge, hunt sharks teeth on the beach, catch a few sharks from the beach :). I'm ready to go now!

Can someone catch my calls!?

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Vacation? I have heard of this thing. I think I googled it once and it said a vacation was to go some place to get away from work, to relax and reflect.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
We work about everyday. . Septic Systems, Demolition, Crushed Aggragate or Concrete Retaining Walls, Plumbing, Etc. .

There's never a dull moment, lol.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
When I am far from my service area, I am worried all the time about getting an emergency call that cannot wait. It sucks, and I can tell you this, I am not paying to go to Hawaii and sit there and worry about losing a valuable customer:no:

I have a great company that I can refer, but it is nothing like me being there for my customer when they need me.

I am sure this all will pass, and once I fill a few vans I can manage the work load better. Too busy to vacation with a clear mind.

Sorry honey.....

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Perfect for this thread...
Just got home, it's 10:30 on July 4rth..I worked all day.
I feel like I've sinned, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Perfect for this thread...
Just got home, it's 10:30 on July 4rth..I worked all day.
I feel like I've sinned, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse.
I worked today, but only one small call. Be proud of the money you earned for your family. I have worked long days on 4th of July and it can be rewarding! I don't call that a sin, thats just hard work.:thumbsup:

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I worked all day in the office, the wife and I, (my IT) fixing our computer and printer problems, just replaced everything, figured it was alot more long term:thumbsup: no calls, my first day and a half off in the field in
weeks:thumbup:

It's back on next week though :yes::yes: I'm Lovin It!! :laughing:

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I worked today, but only one small call. Be proud of the money you earned for your family. I have worked long days on 4th of July and it can be rewarding! I don't call that a sin, thats just hard work.:thumbsup:
I remember working July 4th in 2000. I worked for a residential new con company. We were slabbin'. It was one of the hottest days I have ever worked. Rode the edge of heat stress most of the day. Any task that required walking, you could just feel the energy draining out of you. What made it worse was that across the road from the development, in plain view of us all was a traditional 4th of July party under the shade trees (for those of you who might not know, new tract homes have no shade trees). Lots of food, icy cold beverages, loud music, and lots of laughter.

Point is I had no choice. My employer didn't give us the day off and I had to work if I wanted to keep my job.

It's nice to be able to say "you know what? I'm taking the day off." I can even fire myself for doing it if I want, but of course I will be rehired on Monday morning :).

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Fellas , like ALL of you ,I suspect -- I have also worked just about EVERY holiday there is numerous times . It is frustrating to me ,,, yet strangely gratifying . At he end of one of those days ,always feel like i've accomplished something that no one else would do .
That does sound strange , but it is not for the love or greed of money , it is just a constant feeling of NOT wanting to let others in need down. Make sense ??

Oh,, yeah ,,,, TAKE A VACATION !! The work and customers will be there when you get back !! Have your calls forwarded to your cell, answer your calls and just simply say ," Mrs. Smith/Jones , I do apologize but I'm laying on the beach with my lovely bride and happy kids for a few days . Can we get together when I get back or does this need immediate attention to which I could refer you to someone ?"

works every time !!

Cal

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Bump old thread. January and february have been very busy. I have been working 6 days/week, 10 hours/day for the last 7 weeks. The phone is starting to slow down and I am starting to lose my mind from all the stress.
IT IS TIME FOR A VACATION!!! I am stressed just thinking about all the money that I will lose by being away for a week, but I need to do it. For my sanity, for my wellbeing, for my family.

I think we'll drive to down to Florida for a week and visit my dad and his mom. They haven't even met my baby daughter yet. And the change in scenery will be nice.
Luckily I have a friend who also has a small service shop that I can trust and send my clients to while I am gone.
Last year, March was the slowest month of the whole year, so it seems like the ideal time to close shop for a week.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bump old thread. January and february have been very busy. I have been working 6 days/week, 10 hours/day for the last 7 weeks. The phone is starting to slow down and I am starting to lose my mind from all the stress.
IT IS TIME FOR A VACATION!!! I am stressed just thinking about all the money that I will lose by being away for a week, but I need to do it. For my sanity, for my wellbeing, for my family.

I think we'll drive to down to Florida for a week and visit my dad and his mom. They haven't even met my baby daughter yet. And the change in scenery will be nice.
Luckily I have a friend who also has a small service shop that I can trust and send my clients to while I am gone.
Last year, March was the slowest month of the whole year, so it seems like the ideal time to close shop for a week.
:thumbsup: Go for it! Everyone needs a vacation to recharge. Make some memories with family, they deserve it as well.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Venice beach calls itself the sharks tooth capital of the world ;). If you've never done it, it's like I spy on the beach. Yours is too young yet but in a few years it will be great fun to spend literally hours hunting teeth while walking along the beach with your daughter. Myrtle Beach has a lot of teeth too especially from around 38th ave north up through around 55th ave north or thereabouts. Much smaller in Myrtle Beach though but still a lot of fun, at least to me it is very relaxing. Fish awhile, hunt teeth for awhile, fish awhile, hunt teeth for awhile.

Oh yea SG where did you say you were going in Florida?

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
More often than not my wife and I had to take separate vacations because she ran the office. Since our interest are so easy it wasn't too bad and then we found time to take a few long weekends without the kids. The truth is our kids would have missed out on a lot of neat trips had Brenda and I gone together.

The second part is classes. I've always felt classes were part of the cost of sales. I'm in ICC classes all week this week and as much as I can't afford the time off, I can't afford to miss the classes. There is a ton of new stuff in both the IPC and the UPC for 2009.

Mark

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
We try and go a minimum of 1 week per year. No matter what. Usually the wife has a relaxing vacation and I spend the week on the phone, fax, or computer.

We go short notice alot. There are good deals on extremely short notice vacations.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts