Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is on a well and someone installed some filters before the pressure tank. I honestly don’t work on pressure tanks. There’s a company in the area who is really good, affordable and hav everything they need on their truck, so I just refer them. My buddy is concerned about the filters plugging up and burning up the pump. I don’t see why that shouldn’t be a concern. One idea is to put a pressure gage before the filters to monitor.... or just move the filters?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Well that's phucked! You NEVER isolate the pump from the pressure switch!

Those filters can clog. A submersible can produce 150-200psi!!! All that stuff should be after the tank tee. If he has A LOT of sediment there are shrouds that can be put on the pump itself which will help the sediment settle out through centrifugal force.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Well that's phucked! You NEVER isolate the pump from the pressure switch!

Those filters can clog. A submersible can produce 150-200psi!!! All that stuff should be after the tank tee. If he has A LOT of sediment there are shrouds that can be put on the pump itself which will help the sediment settle out through centrifugal force.
All the the tanks I've seen the pressure switch is always installed on the tank tee and the pump near it. What are you supposed to do if the if the pump is submersible?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
All the the tanks I've seen the pressure switch is always installed on the tank tee and the pump near it. What are you supposed to do if the if the pump is submersible?
The line from the pump should go directly to the tank tee, no filters, do not pass go, do not collect 200$, nothing in between except maybe a check valve IF the one in the pump is bad or a flow restrictor if the well has a poor refresh rate..

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The pressure switch goes on the tapping directly in front of/after the tank leg so when you draw water it gets a little venturi effect going and kicks the switch on a touch sooner than it might otherwise.

Reminds me of old homes where they'd put a flow switch on the hot line for the kitchen faucet. This would kick on the elements for the electric wate heater, a recirc pump, or a circ pump for the indirect off the boiler.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes that's a potentially dangerous situation right there. I would at the very least pull the cartrages out of the housing until somebody can repipe it right. Never anything before the pressure tank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
After looking at the pictures closer it's worse than I thought. Sharbites all over the place.

·
Super Moderator
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After looking at the pictures closer it's worse than I thought. Sharbites all over the place.

That made question too. All the solder joints looked very professional, even a un-sweated 1” tee. Full penetration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts