Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious about code acceptance from state to state using the fernco rubber couplings, the ones without the SS bands. Does your state allow them to be used? On soil stacks, vent stacks, branches?
I use the no hub bands with the ss shield for transitions from CI to PVC but have been seeing a lot of the UNbanded couplings lately. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Ferncos

Not allowed in Il. must have s.s. band and use approved adaptor. If I have to use one I prefer the pressure type with four hose clamps:thumbsup:

·
Senior Moment
1,904 Posts
In Massachusetts the steel banded clamps can be used. Mostly referred to as mission clamps here.

·
Master Plumber/Mechanical
172 Posts
Here in Kansas all codes are up to the local cities not state regulated.

Here they are allowed either fernco or no hub

·
Registered
356 Posts
Here we have 3 main types:

Fernco, Cremco, and Steel Band.

Steel Band are the only ones rated to pass through a fire seperation.

Cremcos are great for ease of installation and looks, but we have had alot of problems with them not holding a test. Cremcos will not pass inspection if they are used to go through a fire seperation.

Ferncos are typically not used on new installation due to price, more of a servicemans product, or for a quick fix on a new installation.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Not allowed in Il. must have s.s. band and use approved adaptor. If I have to use one I prefer the pressure type with four hose clamps:thumbsup:
There is 1 place they are allowed in IL. When transitioning from size or material type on a building sewer.

890.340 h)

·
Registered
222 Posts
allowed above ground with full metal jacket here in philadelphia. Also allowed 1 on street side of curb trap when replacing with departmental approval. If we use it on curb trap we need to encase in concrete.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
They are allowed for every use here.

I agree with the Roast Duck

I wish I lived in Illinois where plumbing is still plumbing.

How many times have your got a call for a plugged drain and it turns out that some dooooshbag clamped the pipes together with a Fernco and didn't bother to support the pipe so the end droops on one side and blocks the drain?

·
Registered
356 Posts
There is no problem with nohub couplings if they are installed properly, same with most other plumbing products.

pleeaaase dont turn this into a "pex dispute" thread...

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
There is no problem with nohub couplings if they are installed properly, same with most other plumbing products.

pleeaaase dont turn this into a "pex dispute" thread...
No matter how you install them they still burn, could be a problem for the men trying to fight the fire when fittings start raining down.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
If that was the case, the code would say "everything 5' above FF must be lead and oakum." why would a fernco or no-hub in a first floor wall or underground be a danger to firemen? Furthermore, if they are so worried about raining fittings then why not abs or pvc. Another question: How would you do borosilicate systems for special wastes? If raining fittings is such a big concern with cast you could also run support channels made of steel.

I think the real issue is they want to keep the trade difficult to keep labor rates high. I can certainly understand where they are coming from, but I still don't think they are justified in what they are doing.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
If that was the case, the code would say "everything 5' above FF must be lead and oakum." why would a fernco or no-hub in a first floor wall or underground be a danger to firemen? Furthermore, if they are so worried about raining fittings then why not abs or pvc. Another question: How would you do borosilicate systems for special wastes? If raining fittings is such a big concern with cast you could also run support channels made of steel.

I think the real issue is they want to keep the trade difficult to keep labor rates high. I can certainly understand where they are coming from, but I still don't think they are justified in what they are doing.
Now you're thinking, replace the iron pipe with something like PVC and add fuel to fire and provide a surefire way of making sure the fire gets all the way to the roof.

Glass fittings don't break a man's neck, 8" NH fittings can and have done that very thing here.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
They're not legal above ground for obvious reasons since they balloon when the system goes into failure mode. Heat from high water temperatures *IE dishwasher, laundry waste* distorts them very quickly.

Damn sump pumps are another prime example of a rubber boot that hardens over time, the stainless steel clamps aren't completely stainless steel, just the band not the worm gear. That's why compression checks are gaining popularity.

Fernco's give the uneducated a new ability to do plumbing for themselves.

I can't begin to start and say how many times I've seen ferncos underground that allow 2 pipes to lose alignment, slip, pull off, not because the plumber didn't do their job right,

but groundwater movements that changed direction underground years later and that flimsy connection started to give way when the mother earth started pushing down and there's nothing to prevent it from holding in place.

There's times I've used them, but I know I'm putting in a product that is something that isn't made to perform in a function other than a repair.

What's BS is they could make a hard transition fitting with rubber inner sleevves and bands, make something that holds up without failure points.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Maybe you should make them and market them. I’d buy them.

They're not legal above ground for obvious reasons since they balloon when the system goes into failure mode. Heat from high water temperatures *IE dishwasher, laundry waste* distorts them very quickly.

Damn sump pumps are another prime example of a rubber boot that hardens over time, the stainless steel clamps aren't completely stainless steel, just the band not the worm gear. That's why compression checks are gaining popularity.

Fernco's give the uneducated a new ability to do plumbing for themselves.

I can't begin to start and say how many times I've seen ferncos underground that allow 2 pipes to lose alignment, slip, pull off, not because the plumber didn't do their job right,

but groundwater movements that changed direction underground years later and that flimsy connection started to give way when the mother earth started pushing down and there's nothing to prevent it from holding in place.

There's times I've used them, but I know I'm putting in a product that is something that isn't made to perform in a function other than a repair.

What's BS is they could make a hard transition fitting with rubber inner sleevves and bands, make something that holds up without failure points.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Gotcha, 8" glass is OK, but 2" no-hub CI is not. Check.

PVC is used in high rise construction all over the world. Fire collars.

Now you're thinking, replace the iron pipe with something like PVC and add fuel to fire and provide a surefire way of making sure the fire gets all the way to the roof.

Glass fittings don't break a man's neck, 8" NH fittings can and have done that very thing here.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts