Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to bid on replacing 50 water heaters in a housing project but the job is federal prevailing wage,there will be no gc on this job,in fact the plumber himself will be considered the general contractor,I have to submit a bid bond along with my proposal,we have a good chance to get this job because it is only myself and my son and both of us are owners of the company so we have no payroll and do not have to pay prevailing wage rates,my question is has any of you fine fellers ever done a federal prevailing wage job and if so did you fill out the federal time sheets they require you to fill out???I have researched this and a higher up woman in the dept of labor in Washington advised me to yes definitely fill out the payroll sheets and where it asks for wages to just put 0.00,she advised as long as they have that on file we are fine,here is a copy of the payroll sheet I'm referring to
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Paper

· I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
6,266 Posts
I’ve done a few federal projects through the years. They were “davis bacon” jobs. Helpers. Plumbers, all had to be paid more on those jobs. Paid them the rates required, sent in forms with copy of their paystubs reflecting the pay and the dates. Easy peasy.

Colombus Air Force base in MS, Tyndall Air Force base in Fl, coast guard barracks in Fl, FBI training faculty in st. Loius. Wasn’t a fan of St. Louis. Thankfully that was a quick job.

· Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve done a few federal projects through the years. They were “davis bacon” jobs. Helpers. Plumbers, all had to be paid more on those jobs. Paid them the rates required, sent in forms with copy of their paystubs reflecting the pay and the dates. Easy peasy.

Colombus Air Force base in MS, Tyndall Air Force base in Fl, coast guard barracks in Fl, FBI training faculty in st. Loius. Wasn’t a fan of St. Louis. Thankfully that was a quick job.
If you are owners of the company and have no employees you do not have to pay the federal wage rates,and this is a Davis bacon job

· I Like Tater Tots
Plumber since 1979. 42 years and still rollin'
1,317 Posts
But why would you want to work for less than prevailing wage? Do you need the work?
Don't forget to account for the mountain of paperwork and waiting 6 months to get paid LOL.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

· I Like Tater Tots
1,317 Posts
Also why in the world are they replacing 50 heaters at the same time? Spend it or lose it in the budget next year is my guess. They didn't all suddenly take a crap at the same time.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

· I Like Tater Tots
1,317 Posts
$74,999.99

· philosopher and statesmen
8,950 Posts
Sparkey.....50 heaters would not take me long to do--that sounds like a cush job ...

The only thing I would be worried about is making sure that everything is up to the prevailing federal codes..
not just what you do that passes in po-dunky Kentucky..

I almost got into a mess doing just a measly city welfare job changing out a few heaters where I found out that they expected
the chimney had to be upgraded to 4 inch to meet codes ......It turned out to be much more than just a simple
water heater change out.... I still did real good but I had to man up and just eat it ..my mistake and continuing education...

Being federal I would figure water hater pans, possibly drains going out to somewhere, thermal expansion tanks,
dielectric unions, possibly upgrade the 3 inch flu pipe to new
4 inch flu pipe which could be big trouble,
and maybe even earth-quake straps.....
you never know what the liberals might require....

That would be very easy money but I would certainly ask a whole lot of questions first

8,950 Posts
$74,999.99
[/QUOTE

that is too cheap...

I would say 1800 each x 50 = 95,000
If it is a government job in a welfare housing project you might want to
figure on a few guards for the trucks

· I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
6,266 Posts
that is too cheap...

I would say 1800 each x 50 = 95,000
If it is a government job in a welfare housing project you might want to
figure on a few guards for the trucks
too cheap for a federal job. The budget is probably double your estimate.

· Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sparkey.....50 heaters would not take me long to do--that sounds like a cush job ...

The only thing I would be worried about is making sure that everything is up to the prevailing federal codes..
not just what you do that passes in po-dunky Kentucky..

I almost got into a mess doing just a measly city welfare job changing out a few heaters where I found out that they expected
the chimney had to be upgraded to 4 inch to meet codes ......It turned out to be much more than just a simple
water heater change out.... I still did real good but I had to man up and just eat it ..my mistake and continuing education...

Being federal I would figure water hater pans, possibly drains going out to somewhere, thermal expansion tanks,
dielectric unions, possibly upgrade the 3 inch flu pipe to new
4 inch flu pipe which could be big trouble,
and maybe even earth-quake straps.....
you never know what the liberals might require....

That would be very easy money but I would certainly ask a whole lot of questions first
Exactly,we have a job site walk thru at 9:00am in morning,Wednesday

8,950 Posts
Also I have to see about disposing of old heaters and about storage of the new ones onsite

Dont worry about disposing of the old heaters.....
The white trash will take the old heaters
within a minute of them hitting the ground....

also if you really , really, really want to do this job...
Find some positive bumper stickers of Obama with his picture grinning on them
and put them on the front and back bumper of your truck.....
and be sure to peel off anything about Trump..

you will be the winner hands down.....

8,950 Posts
Exactly,we have a job site walk thru at 9:00am in morning,Wednesday
Just showing up on time or early before 9.30 will probably earn you a lot of points....LOL

1 - 20 of 82 Posts