Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know that set screw a lot of kitchen faucet spouts have on the back?

Two handle Am. Std. K. faucet, poor flow. Took off aerator, still poor flow. Hand sprayer had poor flow too. Went to disconnect a supply line to backfeed and blow out sediment....There's a dishwasher under the sink?! Shallow stainless sink to fit dishwasher underneath. Well schit, new plan. I took the spout off, unscrewed some plastic cylinder, and then removed the diverter. Diverter is plugged with these little white plastic curls, like someone scraped a piece of pvc pipe with a razor blade. Cleaned the diverter, put it back in, put the spout on and just held it on to test, still poor flow.

I removed the diverter again, put the spout back on and just held it to test, opened the hot and the spout almost blew off, sprayed water all over.

I have a new found respect for those set screws.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Auto part Cylinder
Kitchen sink Sink Tap Plumbing fixture Gas

That was my last call today. Y'all got any good/interesting repair stories?

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They don't make'em like they used to.

Am. Std. Aquaseal three handle shower valve, cold wouldn't shut off. Took out stem and seat, went to put new seat in and it only tightens a little before the threads give. Phuck. Old washer and seat had looked fine, guess I know why it wouldn't shut off.

My first thought was try a touch more teflon tape on the threads, nope. It's a 7/16"-24 thread, maybe since it's opened up I can use a 1/2"-24 central brass seat, no way. Okay, I have seat taps, no big deal. They're all 27TPI, I am not doing that. I am searching through my box of seats, maybe I can find a 15/32"-24 seat, just a scosche bigger, I don't think they even exist.

It occurs to me that maybe the female threads are fine, or at least acceptable, what if the seat threads were machined under size? I order these seats from WB, and the one I was going to use had come with the Kissler stem. Cheap brass seats and I didn't have any Monel ones. I had ONE, good quality, Sexauer Silicon Bronze Am. Std. 7/16"-24 seat. Sure enough it had a full thread form and engaged with the female threads nicely.

One more item I have to search for and guard like Smeagol.

·
Super Moderator
12,521 Posts
I can't recall any interesting stories. Oh I just thought of one.

The other day a gentleman called me about a clogged toilet. There was the receiver from a potable phone wedged down in the bottom of the trap of the toilet. It couldn't be removed with an auger; pliers couldn't grip it, they would just slide off. So I put on a long pair of latex gloves that he had in his bathroom and even with my two hands it was a bit tricky to wiggle it out but I got it out.

Then he wanted the gloves back....LOL

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fast food joint downtown has a toilet that keeps backing up, our company has been out three times in the last week and augered it, problems persisting. Show up, auger, can’t get though trap. Auger it like a mad gorilla, still no dice. Pulled toilet, saw a big wad of TP wrapped around something. Usually I just reach in with my gloved hands and grab, for some reason I decided to go with needle nose this time. End up pulling out a hypodermic needle. Stay safe out there.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You know that set screw a lot of kitchen faucet spouts have on the back?

Two handle Am. Std. K. faucet, poor flow. Took off aerator, still poor flow. Hand sprayer had poor flow too. Went to disconnect a supply line to backfeed and blow out sediment....There's a dishwasher under the sink?! Shallow stainless sink to fit dishwasher underneath. Well schit, new plan. I took the spout off, unscrewed some plastic cylinder, and then removed the diverter. Diverter is plugged with these little white plastic curls, like someone scraped a piece of pvc pipe with a razor blade. Cleaned the diverter, put it back in, put the spout on and just held it on to test, still poor flow.

I removed the diverter again, put the spout back on and just held it to test, opened the hot and the spout almost blew off, sprayed water all over.

I have a new found respect for those set screws.

View attachment 130762 View attachment 130763

That was my last call today. Y'all got any good/interesting repair stories?
Amateur lolololololololo needs a new faucet

The other day a gentleman called me about a clogged toilet. There was the receiver from a potable phone wedged down in the bottom of the trap of the toilet. It couldn't be removed with an auger; pliers couldn't grip it, they would just slide off. So I put on a long pair of latex gloves that he had in his bathroom and even with my two hands it was a bit tricky to wiggle it out but I got it out.

thats a long distance call right there Tommy

·
Registered
123 Posts

was it labeled??
Musical instrument Font Tobacco Adhesive Wind instrument

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
308 Posts
My old job had a ton of Moen Positemps in the guest rooms and terrible water quality. No problem, I have the puller. Except one time the guest twisted the handle as hard as they could and snapped off the brass stem. So I pulled the retaining clip and jogged the main. I heard a loud "thunk" in the room and sure enough, the cartridge had shot out and chipped the enamel in the one piece shower surround. :rolleyes:

I taped a double layer of cardboard on the opposite wall the next time.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Fast food joint downtown has a toilet that keeps backing up, our company has been out three times in the last week and augered it, problems persisting. Show up, auger, can’t get though trap. Auger it like a mad gorilla, still no dice. Pulled toilet, saw a big wad of TP wrapped around something. Usually I just reach in with my gloved hands and grab, for some reason I decided to go with needle nose this time. End up pulling out a hypodermic needle. Stay safe out there.

Jetter.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts