Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well this is one of my more complicated showers. 2 temperature controls, 6 volume controls, 8 body sprays, 1 shower bar, 1 rain head, 1 steamer, 2 journeyman at 8 hours a piece, no leaks(hopefully), one piece of bended copper and most importantly.... no burned wood(used no gel or any tricks just planned it right). For some reason the contractor put drywall behind. They built studs to fit so the tile is flush with protection plate. then they put a membrane over the whole shower. Im just praying the flow rate is ok because this is on an acreage but has that variable speed grundfos controller. I'm new here by the way. I'm Dan and am located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
all I can say is wow!
I just done my first a couple of weeks ago. Nothing quite this big though, just 1 hand held wand, 4 body sprays, 1 temp control and 1 overhead shower head.

BTW, welcome to the zone!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Nice looks like art work, wait we are artist at what we do.

·
Banned
383 Posts
very tight system. level, plumb, and the joints look great. i love doing custom showers. hit the ball out of the park on this one.:thumbsup:

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Nice work.:thumbup:
Back in my new construction days, I put in some crazy shower systems. One I can remember had 4-5 thermostatic valves, with 14 body sprays, 3 over-head rain-showers and a hand-held. It put out ridiculously high GPM. We had to rough-in TWO 3" commercial shower drains to handle all the water, in this one guy's private shower.:eek: I think the hot and cold water pipes feeding the shower area were 1 1/4" copper. All fancy-schmancy Dornbracht valves. The guy was some wall street hot-shot that sold his company to J.P. Morgan in the 1990s during the Nasdaq boom. I remember he also had rainbow colored marble fire-places. And a commercial-style private kitchen almost the size of my house. Just an absolutely decadent mansion. Learning plumbing in the Hamptons was fun.:)

·
Banned
383 Posts
Nice work.:thumbup:
Back in my new construction days, I put in some crazy shower systems. One I can remember had 4-5 thermostatic valves, with 14 body sprays, 3 over-head rain-showers and a hand-held. It put out ridiculously high GPM. We had to rough-in TWO 3" commercial shower drains to handle all the water, in this one guy's private shower.:eek: I think the hot and cold water pipes feeding the shower area were 1 1/4" copper. All fancy-schmancy Dornbracht valves. The guy was some wall street hot-shot that sold his company to J.P. Morgan in the 1990s during the Nasdaq boom. I remember he also had rainbow colored marble fire-places. And a commercial-style private kitchen almost the size of my house. Just an absolutely decadent mansion. Learning plumbing in the Hamptons was fun.:)
what i think is funny is that in this day of low flow, water conservation ive put in more 6,8,10 body spray w/ other accessories included than ever in my career. lets get our toilets down to 1 gal a flush and make sure our showers are pumping out 45 gallons a minute.:laughing:

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
what i think is funny is that in this day of low flow, water conservation ive put in more 6,8,10 body spray w/ other accessories included than ever in my career. lets get our toilets down to 1 gal a flush and make sure our showers are pumping out 45 gallons a minute.:laughing:
Exactly. Its totally ridiculous imo.:blink: :laughing:

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
WHat kind of hot water heating system is feeding this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
a Bradford white 75 gal double coil hot water maker. A vacuum solar panel feeds the tank and if that can't keep up, I have a Trinity 200 boiler that feeds the other coil. The boiler also does in-floor throughout the house but domestic water has priority. pretty much, you will never run out of hot water.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Love seeing all that copper! Such a shame that nice work gets covered up. It should be framed so that up and coming plumbers can see what real plumbing looks like.:thumbup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I put the brass tee and nipple because it kept everything square. Tee's have a tendency to sag and it could have put everything off a bit. :blink: I'll say that because in reality I could have just as easily put a c-c tee but I bought a 3/4" Tee and nipple so might as well us it up :thumbup: I'll show you guys some of my boiler systems this weekend. same sort of deal, lots of copper and I take lots of pride in making them.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I put the brass tee and nipple because it kept everything square. Tee's have a tendency to sag and it could have put everything off a bit. :blink: I'll say that because in reality I could have just as easily put a c-c tee but I bought a 3/4" Tee and nipple so might as well us it up :thumbup: I'll show you guys some of my boiler systems this weekend. same sort of deal, lots of copper and I take lots of pride in making them.

cool. that makes sense. i just wanted to make sure there wasn't some functional reason why it needed to be brass, i couldn't think of one. next one, do it all out of cut and threaded brass. :thumbup:

that's the kind of thing i wish i had the opportunity to do. it's been over 10 years since i was doing work like that. now it's all qest leaks under trailers and "i'll just go with the cheaper one" customers.

paul

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I actually don't have any pics from this job right now but I just finished wiring the boiler and have to vent it and combustion analyze it. I will take a picture then and wont have the vac system installed until after winter. What I did is the boiler is connected to both coils right now and later we will hook the tank to the panel.
all threaded brass? wow, I'm not that hardcore lol. I've never actually done it before, I think you use soapy water as lubricant though. I just do custom houses and light commercial. everything from hydronic towel warmers to 3 story waterfalls. I would like to get into service work though, I turn so much of it away but maybe i'll start.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts