Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently i hired my younger brother on. he works smarter and harder than almost any apprentice i have ever seen.
he has been with me now for a month and already had a sick day (mar 18 hangover) and skipped out on a saturday he said he would be there.
so now when he is MIA and i am expecting him i minus 8 hrs from his cheque for an inconvenience charge, and it doesnt bother him one bit, he shrugs and says guess i had it comin.

is this a long road of headaches ? or is it just a few bumps in the road to train someone to do things my way that will be trustworthy?

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
It's a long road to a dead end. I just went through the same thing. He lasted two months, picked him up a couple times and told him to get out because he stunk. Then he decided to wear his black beanie hat and dark 1970's Chips motorcycle shades instead of his uniform hat. I told him he couldn't wear the beanie and shades, he quit. What a fricken waste of time that was.
If you know he's drinking and doesn't care about sh*t then let him go right now before something really bad happens. Family or not, don't wait.
I have nothing against having some beers after work etc. but when it becomes a problem it will snowball on you. Good luck, I feel your pain! LOL

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I have seen this sort of thing alot. Either father / son or brothers. You train him up, he gets his license(s) and you two make a bigger business out of it. Sooner or later one of you will think you can do it better on your own and then it starts. Stealing customers - screwing eachother as best you can for the bitterness left over. Family and business almost always never work. Ask around, you will find that to be fact. Why make life harder than it already is? .02

Reactions: Plasticman

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hired my brother when I was running a large company. It was'nt too bad because he was a dispatcher working swing shift but it def caused me some stress. He has 7 kids and was going back to school but we don't share the same work ethic and I found myself having to reprimand him more than once. He finally re-upped in the Army and I was more than happy to see him go. I guess what I am saying is that even when it is not that bad it is not that good. Too difficult for you to do your job properly

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Just recently i hired my younger brother on. he works smarter and harder than almost any apprentice i have ever seen.
he has been with me now for a month and already had a sick day (mar 18 hangover) and skipped out on a saturday he said he would be there.
so now when he is MIA and i am expecting him i minus 8 hrs from his cheque for an inconvenience charge, and it doesnt bother him one bit, he shrugs and says guess i had it comin.

is this a long road of headaches ? or is it just a few bumps in the road to train someone to do things my way that will be trustworthy?
There are success stories, too.

Mike Diamond Plumbing (PSI, etc) is family-owned since the beginning. Mike owns it with mommy and daddy and you can bet they watch each others every move.

Kirman Plumbing in Los Angeles is another that comes to mind. Family-owned since 1908, the company does good enough for their nitch. Actually, there's another family there for the last 40 years who raises up future supervisors for the company...I'm not kidding. The supervisor job got handed down from father to son. So, you have two families of plumbing egos running that shop.

Both examples have had major drama, but pulled through to success.

There's not to much of that (success and family-owned) where I live because the trades are strictly middle class and everyone pushes the kids into other directions. Sometimes, I wish, but oh well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i pretty much gotta see it through for a while anyways. he has a baby on the way and i feel this way i can really keep my thumb on him.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'm in a second generation family business. We're in our 52nd year. We're set up as an S-corp, so we're all equal shareholders. It took a little time to figure out that there is no place for ego in a family business and that synergy pays dividends. Even so, buying in was harder for my wife whose father worked his way up to a management position in a manufacturing firm then it was for me or my brothers who were raised with the business always being there.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I only have one suggestion on the subject of family working together.

You have to shut it off during downtime. Meaning this, be sure to NOT talk about work, when your not in a work situation.

Otherwise, you will lose the type of relationship you had before working together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts