Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had to remove a cast iron pipe say 2 stories and out the attic? I purchased a collar that fits around the pipe, then I use a rope and tie it off, then break off the lower end. I am sorry, but as we all know, everyone does not use strapping and I just keep envisioning this thing falling into the basement!

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
We always strap to prevent vertical movement up or down. You don't wanna have to go to the roof to recaulk the flashing. I usually use a 6" piece of unistrut clamped to the pipe with a unistrut clamp. Slotted gives you good places to hook ratcheting strap hooks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If I'm unfamiliar with the structure I will go in the ceiling or attic and strap off ,as well as strapping securely in the space I'm working in,that is a must with C.I.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Beleive it or not, one of the reasons no hub is not allowed in Chicago is because the bands are not fireproof, and there are concerns of nh CI fittings falling on fireman try to the fight the fire, as the fittings almost never have a hanger on them.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Riser clamps on each floor as well. If I have to I will rig up unistrut like IL was saying and stap it off to that.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Beleive it or not, one of the reasons no hub is not allowed in Chicago is because the bands are not fireproof, and there are concerns of nh CI fittings falling on fireman try to the fight the fire, as the fittings almost never have a hanger on them.

I could have swore we plumbed cast with no-hubs [with gaskets underground],for some commercial work on the North side in the late 80's,but I don't remember any penerations other than a 30' roof or so.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that is a dangerous thing! Never thought of the firemen.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I only failed to support CI through the roof once. Thankfully, all it cost me was a new roof jack and some 3" PVC.

Cheap lesson.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts