Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww175/Waxsealer/failedpexpipe.jpg
:eek:Its rehau pex and its dated 8-20-03. it has a split in the pipe running with the pipe about 1/8" long. It was spraying inside a wall. I plan to cut the bad spot out and pump it up to 250psi and see what happens. Here we go!!!!:eek:
Ok I cut a short piece of the pex off and tested a portion with no leaks and its holding at 325 psi as we speek.....I'm going to leave it pressurized for a few hours...the homeowner is freaking out!!!!!!:laughing:http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww175/Waxsealer/350psitestonpex001.jpg

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Are you sure that not Zurn Pex, I always thought Rehau Pex was clear.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I always use the clear pex, move flexible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ok. you guys are scaring me. we just bought the zurn pex crimp tools and fittings today to start using tomorrow. do i need to rethink this yet again....................

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
111 Posts
i will try it ,,,but i will lose sleep at night wondering if that will happen to me on a 2 story million dollar house on an upstairs bathroom. i'm not trying to be a dinosaur but up until 20 minutes ago i was fired up for pex. did he mention how long the pipe had been in service?whats the manufacturers warranty in cases like this?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Don't loose sleep over it, I have been installing pex for long time here, and there has been no problems to speak of.

Pex has been in Europe long before it hit the states.

Warranty is at 25 years.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will try it ,,,but i will lose sleep at night wondering if that will happen to me on a 2 story million dollar house on an upstairs bathroom. i'm not trying to be a dinosaur but up until 20 minutes ago i was fired up for pex. did he mention how long the pipe had been in service?whats the manufacturers warranty in cases like this?
I'm not sure of the warranty. The pipe was installed in late 2003 and he has the receipt. He's not going to do any warranty claims...hes not that type. he would just tell me to rip it out. if it leaks again he will have me rip it out. This guy won a million dollars playing in a video poker tourny @ harrahs in new orleans!!!! he dont giva crap!!!!!:laughing: RIP IT OUT AND SEND ME A BILL!!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used copper on a slab house when I first started, some of the fittings felt a little too loose but I soldered them and thay held for about a two years and then a few of them sprung leaks. Problem can happen with any product.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i know you can have a bad batch of anything but, on the same day i bought the stuff i see this post and i freaked. but i have also had problems with copper splitting too .just very rare.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Something is weird. Rehau PEX is clear. It may have a red or blue coating on it, but it is clear.

That's not even the color of any of the Rehau I have ever seen. (Of course, I have only seen tens of thousands of feet of the stuff, not millions of feet.)

Now the piece around the bend in the first picture? That is the color of Rehau. The leaking piece looks like that stuff Lowe's sold. But forget the color. That first picture looks like a solid color PEX. Rehau is clear with a red coating.

Or am I not seeing something right here?

PS. I ain't busting on ya Master. Just talking about what it looks like to me in hopes you will check on it and provide close ups or explanation.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Something is weird. Rehau PEX is clear. It may have a red or blue coating on it, but it is clear.

That's not even the color of any of the Rehau I have ever seen. (Of course, I have only seen tens of thousands of feet of the stuff, not millions of feet.)

Now the piece around the bend in the first picture? That is the color of Rehau. The leaking piece looks like that stuff Lowe's sold. But forget the color. That first picture looks like a solid color PEX. Rehau is clear with a red coating.

Or am I not seeing something right here?

PS. I ain't busting on ya Master. Just talking about what it looks like to me in hopes you will check on it and provide close ups or explanation.
No busting......and I did some more checking and I believe you and ron the plumber are correct...its not rehau. its nibco dura-pex. I called the H.O and he confirmed that every other piece of pipe that he can find says rehau on it......But the piece i took out from joint to joint didn't say rehau on it that was bad. It only had the letters "Ra pex" on the pipe with its certifications and press. temp ratings. I guess the guy had a scrap piece of dura pex and used it!!! It was bad for sure. I kinda wish it was all bad.....i love re-pipes!!! Glad you guys questioned it...so i can bad mouth the right people. i think it will all fail like that in time......be on the look out for small splits!!!!!

Reactions: Ron

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder wtf is wrong with it......I cut it and hooked the portion up that didn't have the leak and eventually pegged out my gauge at 600 psi and held it for 3 or 4 minutes. I'm still going to find the failure pressure and see what fails 1st the joints or the pipe. 30,000 psi should do it. Its an air driven hydraulic pump test chamber.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
No busting......and I did some more checking and I believe you and ron the plumber are correct...its not rehau. its nibco dura-pex. I called the H.O and he confirmed that every other piece of pipe that he can find says rehau on it......But the piece i took out from joint to joint didn't say rehau on it that was bad. It only had the letters "Ra pex" on the pipe with its certifications and press. temp ratings. I guess the guy had a scrap piece of dura pex and used it!!! It was bad for sure. I kinda wish it was all bad.....i love re-pipes!!! Glad you guys questioned it...so i can bad mouth the right people. i think it will all fail like that in time......be on the look out for small splits!!!!!
Dura-Pex! That's what I was trying to think of.

I can tell you what happened. He ran out of Rehau and ran to Lowe's and bought some. You wanna bet i ain't right?

I did it once. But i put the piece in a place I could replace it when I trimmed out and I did replace it. but I got inspection on schedule.

Much as I like some brands of PEX and trust them, I dislike others and am convinced they will hurt us all. Dura-Pex is one of those I dislike.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts