Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Only thing they inspect around here is rough plumbing when we are doing a new house or reno. They only inspect the PVC : So your telling me to even install a water heater you need an inspector to check it out to make sure it was installed right ?
Yes sir. A heater permit is $125.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Only thing they inspect around here is rough plumbing when we are doing a new house or reno. They only inspect the PVC : So your telling me to even install a water heater you need an inspector to check it out to make sure it was installed right ?
I have my suffolk master plumbers license and have worked in most towns in suffolk( not the hamptons) and you technically need a permit for anything but a repair, now that doesnt mean you get one for changing a toilet or sink, but any renovation with a building permit you need a plumbing permit and 3 inspections, under ground, rough inspection, and finish, and another inspection for any gas work with an air test now( they outlawed any mercury testers)..so how can the hamptons only do a pvc inspection and call it good?
also permits and inspections for any heating or water heating equipment installed....
and some municipalities want a licensed plumber to file for HVAC for the water line for a humidifier and drain lines for the condensate..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Im telling you its a joke, that's why a lot of unlicensed plumbers are out here getting away with it. We have to have underground work inspected as well if work is in slab, and yes we air test the gas and if national grid wants a letter head we provide it, but the inspectors are only concern about PVC work. Its Crazy I can remember when I was in local union 200 based out of Nassau county we were doing a lot of community developments and only thing I remember being tested was the gas with mercury test. we didn't fill the pvc with water or anything else

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Im telling you its a joke, that's why a lot of unlicensed plumbers are out here getting away with it. We have to have underground work inspected as well if work is in slab, and yes we air test the gas and if national grid wants a letter head we provide it, but the inspectors are only concern about PVC work. Its Crazy I can remember when I was in local union 200 based out of Nassau county we were doing a lot of community developments and only thing I remember being tested was the gas with mercury test. we didn't fill the pvc with water or anything else

what township only inspects pvc? suffolk county or some small village or township? most areas still only visual inspect the DWV system, north hempstead and a few villages want a water test...

·
Master Plumber/Mechanical
172 Posts
Update. Had a couple inspections yesterday with inspector B and asked him about this issue. Apparently there’s a code in the mechanical code book that’s not in the plumbing code book. Because of the size of the chimney, 8x12 I think he said, it is oversized for the btu’s of the furnace and heater. Somehow the 4/3” vent fcks with the math and needs to be a 4” not tapered down to 3”.

I’m not a HVAC tech, understand very little of the trade and code. In plumbing and drain cleaning, there are many codes I agree with, but some I think are totally unnecessary and only there for permit revenue.

As I do both Plumbing and Mechanical it is covered in the plumbing UPC and the Mechanical UMC with the same verbage.

It's about sizing a chimney for the appliance(s) and sizing the connecting arm of the appliance to the common flue.

UPC 510.5.3 and the catcher is 510.5.4(Inspection of Chimney) that will force you in to placing a liner in the chimney unless you can verify 100% no cracks in the chimney.

More times over we convert the WH to electric vs connecting two appliances to a liner. At some point the furnace will go 90%+.

Even your mechanical inspector seems like an idiot.

·
Super Moderator
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Opensites....What version of code are you working with?
To be honest I have no clue really. Plumbing inspector pulled it out of the mechanical code book. The “angriest mayor” in America, Virge, really did a number on that city. Inspectors are required to find reinspection fees. No joke! A former employee of my Master, who was fired for stealing, is a city plumbing inspector let it slip.

·
Super Moderator
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
As I do both Plumbing and Mechanical it is covered in the plumbing UPC and the Mechanical UMC with the same verbage.

It's about sizing a chimney for the appliance(s) and sizing the connecting arm of the appliance to the common flue.

UPC 510.5.3 and the catcher is 510.5.4(Inspection of Chimney) that will force you in to placing a liner in the chimney unless you can verify 100% no cracks in the chimney.

Even your mechanical inspector seems like an idiot.
What gets me is the draw with the necked down to 3” was much better than the 4” he required, which poses a greater chance of carbon monoxide especially with weather/wind. I understand about how much moisture these newer, more efficient heaters produce and expansion/contraction.... but apparently the chimney is more important than human life....

·
172 Posts
What gets me is the draw with the necked down to 3” was much better than the 4” he required, which poses a greater chance of carbon monoxide especially with weather/wind. I understand about how much moisture these newer, more efficient heaters produce and expansion/contraction.... but apparently the chimney is more important than human life....
It is simple, Your inspectors are idiots. Residential water heater draft hoods are 3" and your connector arm off the draft hood is 3". Code states that as well as Mfg install instructions. From there your connecting arm needs to be as short as possible but may be up to 75% the height of the vertical flue. From there you have to go to flue vent tables, Mason chimney, B-Vent ect.

I would truely love to met your inspectors.

All my books are on my computer. So, when an inspector makes a call that I know is BS we look it up and I am very seldom wrong. If they make a call I will make them prove it to me on-site.

From the way I understand from this thread you had a WH and Furnace connected to the chimney.

With that the chimney is sized by 510.5.3(3).

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
It is simple, Your inspectors are idiots. Residential water heater draft hoods are 3" and your connector arm off the draft hood is 3". Code states that as well as Mfg install instructions. From there your connecting arm needs to be as short as possible but may be up to 75% the height of the vertical flue. From there you have to go to flue vent tables, Mason chimney, B-Vent ect.

All my books are on my computer. So, when an inspector makes a call that I know is BS we look it up and I am very seldom wrong. If they make a call I will make them prove it to me on-site.

From the way I understand from this thread you had a WH and Furnace connected to the chimney.

You must pull a work trailer....just to carry around your massive balls :biggrin:

You show those inspectors who is boss!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
You must pull a work trailer....just to carry around your massive balls :biggrin:

You show those inspectors who is boss!!!

Lol! Honestly it’s not the inspectors... they’re just trying to stay employed. The money hungry government is the real problem.

I’m all about protecting the health and welfare of the nation... I’m a common sense type of person.

This particular situation really rubbed me the wrong way! We have less draw, and really barely any draw at all. But code says....

Truth be told, we gave the original hood to the LL and told him to reinstall it after we got finaled, to protect his tenant, who’s a firefighter and was present for this whole debacle.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts

code in my area is minimum 4 inch flue for ANY appliance aka water heater...even though the water heaters come with a 3 inch hood, but the inspectors go with whatever is factory is good, the manufacture knows better than an individual inspector...hence they had engineers designing the product...
some inspectors want to think they are smarter than the engineers, but usually once you show them the install guide from the manufacture they agree...and every once in a while you get one that just wants to break balls, and thats the one the code book comes out for...

·
172 Posts
Lol! Honestly it’s not the inspectors... they’re just trying to stay employed. The money hungry government is the real problem.

I’m all about protecting the health and welfare of the nation... I’m a common sense type of person.

This particular situation really rubbed me the wrong way! We have less draw, and really barely any draw at all. But code says....

Truth be told, we gave the original hood to the LL and told him to reinstall it after we got finaled, to protect his tenant, who’s a firefighter and was present for this whole debacle.

Truth being told, It is the inspectors. But, when the law suit for CO poisoning or wrongful death gets served to your door do not look to the city for coverage. Not knowing that the same info in Mech Code is in Plumbing Code in the WH section and failing to understand is not a going to stand as an excuse as a licensed guy in court.

skoronesa jokes that I carry my balls in a trailer and jokes that I am a used car salesman in a WH replacement to electric but, In the end it is my and only my fault if someone gets injured in my work. I am State tested and a Licensed trained guy where as an Inspector studies a book, goes and takes a test and Holy Cow is a Know all of the Code Inspector. I will give respect to an inspector but will not allow my work to suffer because the inspector is ignorant and I am not but, then again if I was lacking I would follow the inspectors guide.

If a AHJ wants it a certain way and I know it is wrong I have a form for them sign assuming fault.

Do not get me wrong I do not go looking for a fight with inspectors but, this is my trade and I am not looking to the inspectors for training.

It is funny to me that the State of MI adopts the Uniform Plumbing Code and then renames it to the MI Plumbing Code.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I failed my water heater inspection today. It was a change out in an outside metal water heater cabinet. The inspector shows up and I take her through the side gate to check the heater. She says it looks good, then she says we need to go in the house so she can verify a smoke detector in each bedroom and a combo smoke/carbon monoxide detector in the hall.

There were no smoke detectors in the bedrooms so she can’t finalize the permit until they’re installed and a re-inspection.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
I failed my water heater inspection today. It was a change out in an outside metal water heater cabinet. The inspector shows up and I take her through the side gate to check the heater. She says it looks good, then she says we need to go in the house so she can verify a smoke detector in each bedroom and a combo smoke/carbon monoxide detector in the hall.

There were no smoke detectors in the bedrooms so she can’t finalize the permit until they’re installed and a re-inspection.

yup..I got that schit in my area too..I did a direct replacement bathroom for a town job and the plumbing inspector is like..do all the rooms have proper smoke and co detectors...and im like who the fk knows or cares it aint plumbing...and then he explained how they are checking for them and holding hostage the permits...

but better to fail for some BS like that than defect in workmanship....

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
She says it looks good, then she says we need to go in the house so she can verify a smoke detector in each bedroom and a combo smoke/carbon monoxide detector in the hall.

So you did not fail.

..........do all the rooms have proper smoke and co detectors...and im like who the fk knows or cares it aint plumbing...and then he explained how they are checking for them and holding hostage the permits....

This bs is why people don't get permits.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts