Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We replaced a water heater in a rental a few weeks ago. Usually we are present for inspection unless it’s something simple like a heater or laundry at a rental.

We have two inspectors in this one city, inspector A and inspector B. Inspector A is a moron and can’t seem to figure out how to use a phone in order return a call, inspector B had to take the Master test ten times and was fired by my Master years ago for stealing (also one of my Master’s worst plumber, but awesome drain cleaner).

We prefer inspector B because we can at least get a call back. This particular LL likes inspector A.

So inspector A shows up a half hour late. Says to the LL “Oh, you’re the LL. Sorry, my computer has issues and had to drop it off at IT. All I know is the address and the plumber who pulled the permit. What am I hear to inspect?”

LL: “Water heater”

Inspector A: “Oh, I hope he did his math!”

WTF????

We install to code. 4” vent, plastic drip tube secured to the heater (instead of burning up a flat mickey we 45 the bottom and secure it with a zip screw, like a laundry stand pipe). First thing inspector A does is yank on it real hard. Not once but twice. Then he kicks the heater up to max to check the vent draw. “Yep, it’s good.” Turns it back down and sticks his hand in the vent hood. “I can’t pass this. He used a 3” vent hood.”

LL: “So what do we need to do?”

Inspector A: “He (the plumber) needs to figure it out.” When LL asks what he means... “I haven’t bought a heater in 12 years, he’ll just have to figure it out.”

I don’t know about any of you, but neither my Master nor I have ever seen seen a 4” only vent hood. Besides, manufacture specs supersedes code. Right after we met with the LL on a different job we had to stop by the supply house for tomorrow’s job and asked if they had ever heard of one. Nope.

We’ve butted heads with this idiot in the past.

One example was an RO system we put in. We protected the RO system that fed three coffee makers with air gaps. (Specialty coffee, not like gas station coffee makers.) He made us protect each fixture.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Cripes, good thing we don't have them, and stupid. When and if we ever see one they will end up filing in complaint paperwork.

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cripes, good thing we don't have them, and stupid. When and if we ever see one they will end up filing in complaint paperwork.
You don’t have inspectors??!!?!! Really? The official who determines if the plumbing work was performed in compliance with the health and safety of the nation... they don’t inspect?

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
You don’t have inspectors??!!?!! Really? The official who determines if the plumbing work was performed in compliance with the health and safety of the nation... they don’t inspect?
I said it many times, no inspectors, the government doesn't have the budget or something.

On big jobs usually the engineer who made the plans who inspects but not always. New residential nothing.

You should see how many corners are cut. You cut corners you get to keep your job in most cases. You as a plumber who tries to follow code amongst all other employees you are the first to get laid off. Time is money!

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
The draft hood comes with the W/H from the mfg. and it will fit either 3" or 4". I don't install a lot, but I've seen this on all the recent installs that I've done. Is that what he's picking on?

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,509 Posts
I am glad that this city and state does not require
permits to change out a simple water heater........it would raise
the price dramatically and waste a whole lot of time ....

The plumber would be punished but the guy who goes to a hardware
store and buys his own would get away with doing it himself.....

it is Just something else to make work and collect fees for

the inspectors in our area do not know what they are doing and
someday I would LOVE to have a position going around inspecting
jobs.... but I would probably not last long....

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
The plumber would be punished but the guy who goes to a hardware
store and buys his own would get away with doing it himself.....

That's what it is here, plumbing contractors are supposed to send in 22$ for a water heater. The home owner doesn't need to. I'd be surprised if any company sends that money in.

The ascociation has been asking the ministry to remove that fee for a while. The elected had promised they would remove it but didn't.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,509 Posts
That's what it is here, plumbing contractors are supposed to send in 22$ for a water heater. The home owner doesn't need to. I'd be surprised if any company sends that money in.

The ascociation has been asking the ministry to remove that fee for a while. The elected had promised they would remove it but didn't.

22 dollars is CHEAP but the time spent kissing up to those inspectors could be unlimited..

If they sell heaters in the hardware stores, they are being installed every
day without permits.........

in our town there is a loophole in the law that says if you replace a 40 with another 40 then their is no need to get a permit.... if you upgrade to a 50 or 75 then you need a permit.....

but no one gets a permit for an upgrade either and actually does it....

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
22 dollars is CHEAP but the time spent kissing up to those inspectors could be unlimited..

If they sell heaters in the hardware stores, they are being installed every
day without permits.........

in our town there is a loophole in the law that says if you replace a 40 with another 40 then their is no need to get a permit.... if you upgrade to a 50 or 75 then you need a permit.....

but no one gets a permit for an upgrade either and actually does it....

Over here it you replace lets say a toilet, sink, faucet no fees. But if you move the toilet pipe 6 inches then you should send in 22$ for the first item and 11$ for each other fixture that you move away from the original location. That too I'd be surprised how many actually send in the money.

Heck GCs most times don't hire plumbing contractors in renos so that means they never send in any money for that. What a mess.

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
Yep. I’ve never seen any different hood.

I have a 50 gallon high out put water heater that has a 4 inch only damper and a standard 50 gallon water heater with a 3 or 4 inch damper...so not all the same, code here for minimum flue is 4 inch from a water heater...
if your having issues with an inspector( many are clueless and not licensed plumbers) you need to educate the fat heads..call the manufacture and explain the issue and have them send you a letter stating their water heater with that size damper meets local code, or see a rep in the supply house to get some paper work on that, otherwise the inspector will keep playing the game of he knows better..some do many dont...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have seen 4in only vent hoods. Installed one today in fact. BUT, they are only seen on Apollo type heaters with side loops, because they use more BTUs, and are rated for higher performance.

All others I have seen are 3 or 4 combo hood.

Many inspectors around here ding us for ridiculous things just to try to get the re inspection fee. We will call them on it if needed.

We stopped inspecting heaters in Durham county because they are so backed up with inspections that they were purposefully failing us for silly stuff just to "get back" at us for the workload.

Since that sort of thing only hurts the homeowner and their time. We made the decision to have the owner (licence holder) face time the installs. As long as it is like for like (for us, this means same fuel type, and vent configuration) no inspection is necessary.

Permits and inspections are privatized in some counties here, so there is a real drive for getting that re inspection fee since it's a for profit company.

It's a BS game they are playing with customers.

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have seen 4in only vent hoods. Installed one today in fact. BUT, they are only seen on Apollo type heaters with side loops, because they use more BTUs, and are rated for higher performance.

All others I have seen are 3 or 4 combo hood.

Many inspectors around here ding us for ridiculous things just to try to get the re inspection fee. We will call them on it if needed.

We stopped inspecting heaters in Durham county because they are so backed up with inspections that they were purposefully failing us for silly stuff just to "get back" at us for the workload.

Since that sort of thing only hurts the homeowner and their time. We made the decision to have the owner (licence holder) face time the installs. As long as it is like for like (for us, this means same fuel type, and vent configuration) no inspection is necessary.

Permits and inspections are privatized in some counties here, so there is a real drive for getting that re inspection fee since it's a for profit company.

It's a BS game they are playing with customers.

One trick you always play on an inspector is forget a j hook or tallan. They got something! Run out to the truck and fix it.

Always schedule your inspection just before lunch or at the end of the day.

·
Registered
159 Posts
One trick you always play on an inspector is forget a j hook or tallan. They got something! Run out to the truck and fix it.

We aren't there at the time of inspection. I have seen a couple times a guy will go out to meet the inspector on a complicated job. But by and large, we tell the office girl that the job is ready to be inspected, then she tells the authority, and they work it out with the convenience of the customer.

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We’re just a two man shop, and no office girl. With as much as our phones ring it’s amazing we get any work done.

·
Super Moderator
2,092 Posts

Taking notes for Inspector 101.

How about spray painting the cpvc copper color then flooding the crawl space.

If an inspector doesn't have sense to read the manufactures approved installation instructions, they don't need to be doing the job.

I have a lot of useless info floating around in my head, you start with basic codes then if not specified READ. That is if the contractor didn't hide the install instructions.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts