Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im guilty of not wearing safety glasses when Im cutting wood studs with a sawzall in the air, busting cast or ductile. I payed for it Friday night. Luckily I was able to get the piece out of my eye. Need to not be so lazy and walk to my truck to get my safety glasses when I need them. Eye sight is a precious thing...

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I have had debris make it past my glasses occasionally, but there not grandpa glasses and really should not be relied upon for safety. The problem is that I run hotter than anybody I know and the minute I put on safety glasses, which hug my face, they fog up so that I can't see anything, so I don't wear them.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
After getting a blob of wet solder directly into my eye while soldering overhead...
My eyelids were stuck together, good times had that day.
I decided safety goggles were a good idea.
After having them fog up, I decided to dodge the drips.
Now I wear glasses, so I'm good...'cept when stuff gets in my eyes.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I just close my eyes and keep them closed till I'm done. :zorro:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use to only wear safety glasses when I was cutting or drilling until I worked with a guy on a no-hub job, he would cut pipe, strut, and all-thread with a partner saw or chop saw with nothing protecting his eyes. After complaining about the pain in one of his eyes for 3 weeks he went to the optometrist to find out he had a piece of iron rusted in his eye and had to have it drilled out, he is now blind in that eye. Now as soon as I am out of my truck I have my glasses on, even if I am just doing trim work that day.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I wear mine most all the time at work. Even during trim out like you blackhawk. Laying on your back in a cabinet is a pretty good spot to get something in your eye.

I bought some Oakley safety glasses. Super comfortable and light. Can't hardly tell I'm wearing them. I just change the lense when working outside in the sun.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I use to only wear safety glasses when I was cutting or drilling until I worked with a guy on a no-hub job, he would cut pipe, strut, and all-thread with a partner saw or chop saw with nothing protecting his eyes. After complaining about the pain in one of his eyes for 3 weeks he went to the optometrist to find out he had a piece of iron rusted in his eye and had to have it drilled out, he is now blind in that eye. Now as soon as I am out of my truck I have my glasses on, even if I am just doing trim work that day.
20 years ago my dumb ass did this too . They had to drill 8 pieces out of one eye and 7 from the other ,,, Thank God my eyesight is still good !

GLASSES PLEASE !!!

Cal

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I Got hot soldier in my eye like 9 years ago. that sure was fun. I had this little kid watching my soldier a pipe in a ceiling and it happened and he says " My mommy is an eye doctor, Do you want me to get her?" hehe turns out she was an eye surgeon. what luck. i ended up in the emergency room that day. I was lucky though just lost some eye lashes and they got the piece of soldier out.

Plumber Jim

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i admit i don't use them all the time and i should. i do use them often though. to think that your eyeglasses will protect you forever is pretty naive, especially if you're using a demo saw, grinder or similar tool. those tiny bits of metal fly everywhere and can easily make their way past safety glasses. if you're cutting or grinding with one of those tools you really should have glasses and a shield. i realize most places (under houses, tight spots, etc.) don't really allow this.

say i'm cutting out some rotten cast below a house and i can't use my snap cutters. if i've got the grinder or sawzall out i'll be wearing one of these.

i really like it. very comfortable, all things considered. doesn't fog up. keeps the stuff out of your eyes AND out of your lungs. i think this is my best safety purchase. highly recommended.

paul

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I am ALL OVER THAT !! WERE DID YOU GET IT !!???

Cal

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
northern safety has them, they're pricey at around $200. i got mine off of ebay and i think it was around $50 brand new. well worth the price. what i wish i had gotten, and might still because it's not too late, is the peel off protectors for the lens.

paul

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
i admit i don't use them all the time and i should. i do use them often though. to think that your eyeglasses will protect you forever is pretty naive, especially if you're using a demo saw, grinder or similar tool. those tiny bits of metal fly everywhere and can easily make their way past safety glasses. if you're cutting or grinding with one of those tools you really should have glasses and a shield. i realize most places (under houses, tight spots, etc.) don't really allow this.

say i'm cutting out some rotten cast below a house and i can't use my snap cutters. if i've got the grinder or sawzall out i'll be wearing one of these.

i really like it. very comfortable, all things considered. doesn't fog up. keeps the stuff out of your eyes AND out of your lungs. i think this is my best safety purchase. highly recommended.

paul
One thing about those is they put you into a whole new class of safety equipment.

When you have one of those it is treated as a respirator and brings in a whole new set of OSHA regs. I guarantee that you will get gigged for it! Generally speaking If you do not need the respirator portion of it you are better off without having it around.

There are specific requirements for:
Training
Use and testing before use.
Cleaning & Maintenance
Storage
Documentation

I can tell you that an employee bringing in one of these for their own use will generate hefty fines for the employer and probably cause air quality testing to see if they are in fact needed. At the employers cost of course...

In our shop if you brought that in from home you could be canned.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i can understand that. i don't think it'll be a problem for me for a few reasons. one is that OSHA just isn't around here. i'm not saying that's a good thing, it's just that they don't have a presence here. the other is i only do service work and 99% residential. very low key.

i really don't use it as a respirator, mostly just to keep stuff off my face and out of my eyes. if i were in an area with suspect air quality, i don't know if i'd rely on this since i don't have the training to know if it'd protect me or not. honestly, i don't even know what cartridges are on it. just the general particulate ones i think but i don't know for sure.

paul

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Rocksteady,
Your okay given the size of your operation but say you had a 10 or, 20 man crew...
Then you have a problem.

Also the customer may have some freak out factor seeing that used.

They might be wondering what they should be wearing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Safety glasses are required on your face if you are on my job.

I have a prescription pair and wear them from the time I step out of the truck, until I get back in.

My philosophy is that if an individual is not smart enough to watch out for his own safety, he is not thinking about what he is doing that will affect the safety of others on the job. Get him out of there before he hurts himself or some one else.

·
Registered
457 Posts
northern safety has them, they're pricey at around $200. i got mine off of ebay and i think it was around $50 brand new. well worth the price. what i wish i had gotten, and might still because it's not too late, is the peel off protectors for the lens.

paul
They'll give you one if you just enlist for a few years. Be careful though. You don't want to wind up like Plumber Jim with a soldier in your eye!:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts