Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in about 8 hours for these yahoos last night after working a 9 hour day.I think helping those that cant help themselves is cool, but add Hollywood and deadlines and the cool factor diminishes quickly.IMO, you cant build a quality home completely in 5 days.
I really dont understand the deadline thing.I suppose it is just a wow factor for the viewers of the show.
There were 30 plumbers from about 5 companies during the time I was there, as well as the same # of hvac and electricians and carpenters,etc.A freaking nitemare.No designated coordinator for any of the trades.
Next time I donate my services, it will be on my terms.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
What would 30 plumbers all be able to do in a house? Doesn't seem like there would be enough work space.

Let us know when it airs. You might get your 15 minutes of plumbing fame.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would 30 plumbers all be able to do in a house? Doesn't seem like there would be enough work space.

Let us know when it airs. You might get your 15 minutes of plumbing fame.
3 plumbers all on the same page would have been far more effective, and would have been able to get more done at a higher quality.
I think I'll let Ty have the 15 minutes of fame.Being a star aint my bag.Limelight shines the same on everybody when they need to take a dump and the w/c is backed up.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Have ALWAYS wondered about this !!! Can't see how things break the universal laws of physics just for Hollywood !

Tell us more !!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dude, I completely understand! My last employer did one here in Texas (about 60 miles southwest of Houston). I was there for almost the entire thing (took off 1 day out of the 4 days we were there). It was quite the maddening experience. Nothing like having your legs used as a sawhorse for a guy putting in the hardwood floors (I was installing a lavatory at the time).

For the most part, the project was extremely well thought out and planned. Each trade had at least 2 people in a supervisory position to handle issues as they arose (me being one of them). All supervisors and project managers were in contact via Nextels so getting a problem handled was done quickly. We prefabricated the piping for the ground in manageable sections (houses here are primarily built on concrete slabs) and had the whole thing installed in 45 minutes and on test! The make-up crews were right behind us and got the foundation ready for pour about an hour after us. Concrete was poured overnight. Framing began bright and early the next morning and as soon as the second floor was started, we began the rough-in. By the time we were done with the first floor, the house was essentially completely framed and we finished shortly after that. Then a cold front came in (with the attendant cold rain!) That day was miserable, what I call a NIRBY day (nasty, ichy, rotten, blechy, yucky). But we got through it all.

I have to admit though, from a standpoint of just being able to say I've been there, done that, it was pretty cool. And when they had the reveal for the family, wow. One of the most touching moments I've ever witnessed. And it made me feel proud to know I was a major part of it, even if the actual show hardly "showed" anything of the actual construction of the house (I think they did a 5 second time-lapse of it).

And yes, we did have to go back a couple of times but mainly for things that were beyond our control during the construction (it had a black Kohler toilet that arrived broken and took a couple weeks to get replaced), and I believe there was a leak at a kitchen sink, but other than that I think we did a pretty good job.

Would I do it again? I don't know, probably. I'm too good of a person to say no.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts