Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go to this mobile home leak call. The guy tells me that he has a leak when ever he turns the water on. I check it out and sure enough, he has at least 5 leaks where a rat has gnawed thru the pipe. I give him a quote of about $380 (not exact as I don't have the invoice in front of me) to fix 5 leaks. I also explain that there may be more but I have to fix these 1st 5 in order to pressurize the system to check for any other hidden ones. He says OK and signs for the work.

His wife then tells me that she wants me to call her home warranty company to tell them what problem is and what it's going to cost fix so that they can get it covered. I explain that WE DO NOT WORK WITH HOME WARRANTY COMPANIES. She says that she knows that and she just wants me to call them so that they can be reimbursed for the repair. I explain to her that they are not going to cover a rat chew and that WE DON'T DEAL WITH HOME WARRANTY COMPANIES. She says she still wants me to talk to them. I tell her "Fine, YOU call them and when YOU finally get a live body on the phone I'll talk to them. They aren't going to cover a rat chew and I'm not going to lie and say it isn't from that". She says that she "isn't asking me to lie, but if they don't ask then you don't have to volunteer the information." I say "But the thing is, they will. I have delt with just about every home warranty company out there and they have a questionnaire they go down to try and shoot the claim down. They WILL specifically ask what the cause of failure is and I WILL tell them and they WILL NOT PAY." She says that she still want's me to try. I say "OK, I'll start working and you just hand me the phone when you get someone."

While in the middle of doing the repair she puts the phone up to my ear and the claims guy starts going down the questionnaire. Get's me name, company name, address, phone #, invoice #, total price. Now he starts asking for the price breakdown (like they always do) and I explain that we charge a flat rate and that I don't do break downs. He tells me that they won't process the claim without it. I tell him that's not my problem (homeowner doesn't like that). He then asks me about the warranty and I give him my labor warranty and tell him that on repairs the materials are warranted according to the manufacturer's terms and specifications. I tell him that I think it's 25 years but I don't have all the details of that warranty in front of me. He tells me that again, he will not be able to process the claim without that info. I tell him that again, that's not my problem and give him the name of the product and he can look it up on the web if he's that interested. He then starts asking me for each individual part that I'll be installing and want's the part #'s to go with them. I burst out :laughing: and start listing the parts 1 by 1. He says that he still needs the part #'s. I again refer him to google (noticing a pattern yet?). At one point I tell them "fine, I'll stop what I'm doing and charge you $91/hr to look up all of these serial #s and the manufacturers warranty. They didn't like that ether.

At this point both home owners are furious that I will not jump thru the warranty companies hoops (even though it's all a waste of time anyway).
Hubby proceeds to tell me that I'm "a cocky little sh!t" and that he's calling my supervisor:rolleyes:. I tell him I'm the owner so that's another big time waster. He says he doesn't believe me and he's calling anyway. I tell him "knock yourself out, I've got work to do." He yaks in my office manager's ear for about 10 minutes calling me names and such while I work 6 feet away.

I've now completed the contracted repairs and turn the water on and find 2 more rat chews. He is telling me all about how I'll never work in this trailer park again and that I'm going to go out of business etc etc while I'm doing this check. It's now 6:30pm. I tell him that he has 2 additional leaks and that it will be an extra charge to fix those 2. I will need to run his card and close out this 1st invoice before I'll start a new invoice for this additional work. I run his card and get all my signatures. He goes back inside (thinking that I'm going to give him a price to fix the last 2 leaks and then do so). I toss my tool back in the truck and ride out to my next paying customer (who was much nicer, and was treated with great care). As I'm rolling out I give home base the word that we will not be servicing this customer anymore and that it is not mandatory that they even entertain conversations with them at this point.

They call at about 6:45-7pm wondering where I am and they were notified that "We have completed the work that we were contracted to do." and that "The owner is no longer interested in doing business with you any longer. Please call someone else."

The moral of this story? Don't mess with the plumber. Especially not when it's the end of the day and you are without water and you live out in the middle of no where.:thumbup:

The end.

P.S. They guy called back and tried to say that I couldn't even know that it was from a rat chew or not. You tell me.......

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Son just called and said they are going to debate the charges.

Me: I've got all my signatures. I've got pictures. Knock your self out :sleep1:<click>

·
Drained Professional
842 Posts
Can you imagine what a Chicago rat would do to that stuff?
I hear they floss with it . . . :blink:

Pro: I dunno how I would've handled that one but generally I tell them that if their house has a trailer hitch on it then p'raps they should call a mechanic. :jester: IOW I wouldn't have been there in the first place.
Glad to hear you got paid for your aggravation!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
They need to understand that they have no rite to treat people that way and that there is a price for treating people poorly that are just doing their job. In this case another day without water. As for can you prove it was a Rat? nope.... maybe it was a mouse. :laughing: it was a chew hole thats for sure.:yes:

·
2nd Generation Plumber
149 Posts
Ha Ha Ha !!! Thats Good Stuff. Water Your Pets Next Time!!! Don't Piss Off The Plumber Either.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Another reason way time and material is a better system. Unless you like a pissing contest.
I fail to understand your point? I charge some jobs based on T&M and others I give a flat contract price. If the customer is a jerk, it doesn't matter how you charge, they'll find a way to complain either way.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,769 Posts
I think its a full moon night.....

Update:

Son just called and said they are going to debate the charges.

Me: I've got all my signatures. I've got pictures. Knock your self out :sleep1:<click>
I have gotten a bunch of wierd calls today, each more squirrley than the last one... its got to be a full moon night.... I am gonna take the phone off the hook before I go to bed...

I would have walked out when they asked me to lie...

then you are trying to deal with a warranty co that really dont want you there inthe first place...

when they tell me its a trailer, I tell them I dont work on mobile homes.....

you are lucky that they got a master card....

but now you got to fight them...

good luck.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
no, no fighting. I got paid and they got a lesson.
Not saying they will but if they paid by credit card they have I think 60 days to contest the charges. I know you have a signed invoice but I think the credit card agreements state the credit card company has the final say so in all matters. Here an example: Cusomer signs and pays that the work was done proper....well a week later the shiot blows apart and they call you.......they claim they couldn't get you on the phone and call another plumber to come out and write them an invoice for the same repair you made.......they submit that to the credit card company as proof. Your toast.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts