Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sump Pumps are probably one of the trickiest things to talk to homeowners about because they’re not really something that they see very often. Sure, they serve an important function, but their rather circumstantial nature and out of the way location means that many people probably don’t think about them very often. In reality, though, sump pumps can be an invaluable tool to protect homes from water damage, as well as save homeowners from incurring hefty repair fees due to structural damages and protect them from potential health complications.

What is a Sump Pump?

A sump pump removes water from the basement or crawl space of homes. To specify, water that’s found its way into the basement flows into the sump - which is essentially a hole (you can think of it as a drain) in the basement floor - which empties the water into a basin where the pump is located. The valves on the pump sense when there’s too much water in the hole and propel it through a one-way valve out of an effluent (discharge) line away from the home.

The water from the sump pump is typically dumped into creeks, ponds, or dry wells. If you’re a reader that’s into DIY projects and may decide that you install your own sump pump, know that some cities do have building codes that specify where you can and can’t set yours to drain. Sump pumps can be built either above the basement floor or beneath it, the latter kind of sump pumps are called submersible sump pumps.

Who Needs A Sump Pump?

Simply put, if a homeowner has a basement or crawl space that’s prone to possible flooding (hence why they have a “circumstantial nature”), they need a sump pump. Rainwater and snow can find its way into these spaces as well, so if a homeowner lives somewhere where there is plenty of annual rain or heavy snow, having a way to get rid of the water that can build up is a must.

What Other Purposes Can A Sump Pump Serve?

Sump Pumps can be a lifesaver for homeowners - and we mean this quite literally. It might sound rather dramatic but not only can water under the home cause structural damages, but it can also be bad for one’s health too. Wet environments can become home to mold and mildew which can cause potentially serious health problems like asthma and set off serious allergic reactions.

Even damaged sump pumps have their uses. Busted sump pumps can still tip homeowners off to the fact that their home runs the risk of being flooded and the more high-tech ones can send notifications to their cell phones, in case they’re away from home. At the very least, they can give homeowners the chance to call a plumber or waterproofing contractor for preventative measures or repairs before things get too serious.

In the event that a person wants to sell their home, having a means by which to keep the basement or crawl space dry in case of flooding can greatly increase their house’s value. A dry basement is one that’s less likely to experience any catastrophic structural failure, after all.

This article was meant to serve as a basic rundown as to what sump pumps are and why they’re so important for some homeowners to have. If you already knew all of this, great, we hope it was a good read at least; if you knew squat about sump pumps before reading this, we hope you’ve learned something. You’re more than welcome to put in your two cents about sump pumps in the comments below. Remember guys, keep safe out there!

pz.png

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
This is another dead end street. People call me all the time to add an emergency pump run on a battery. Problem is they expect I go there for a free estimate and 100% of the time their original pit is not to code or hacked in. They also expect it'll cost 20$, pumps and batteries are brought in a sleigh from Santa Claus. Labor... I thought you'd do it for a cup of coffee on saturday because I'm not missing a day at work.

A non existant installation is another fools errand. Sorry I'm not breaking concrete and digging for free.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i like the part about it removing snow. now i no longer need my tractor and snowblower. just toss the sump pump in the drive way. my best thoughts are bob and tom, mr obvious the sump pump.:vs_laugh:

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,305 Posts
This is another dead end street. People call me all the time to add an emergency pump run on a battery. Problem is they expect I go there for a free estimate and 100% of the time their original pit is not to code or hacked in. They also expect it'll cost 20$, pumps and batteries are brought in a sleigh from Santa Claus. Labor... I thought you'd do it for a cup of coffee on saturday because I'm not missing a day at work.

A non existant installation is another fools errand. Sorry I'm not breaking concrete and digging for free.

Yes, sir, we install battery operated sump pumps... but I only install the very best and most expensive ones..... still interested??

that is what I say to all my customers when they want me to install some pos from lowes they paid only 200 bucks for......... They all fail once they forget to put water in the battery..... Basement Watch dog, Ace in the hole, they are all junk

I also say to most of them that I would rather have the shi/ kicked out of me in a fight, rather than find a foot of water down in my finished basement... just doing all the work involved cleaning it up is worse than getting beat up in a fight
I will eventually heal up from the fight but the basement will never be the same again...:vs_laugh::vs_laugh:

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
Yes, sir, we install battery operated sump pumps... but I only install the very best and most expensive ones..... still interested??

that is what I say to all my customers when they want me to install some pos from lowes they paid only 200 bucks for......... They all fail once they forget to put water in the battery..... Basement Watch dog, Ace in the hole, they are all junk

I also say to most of them that I would rather have the shi/ kicked out of me in a fight, rather than find a foot of water down in my finished basement... just doing all the work involved cleaning it up is worse than getting beat up in a fight
I will eventually heal up from the fight but the basement will never be the same again...:vs_laugh::vs_laugh:
Have you ever gotten someone take your offer??

I usually give the cheap option and the good option and no one has ever took either. They seriously prefer to get flooded than paying 1500$ and they also shop for the absolute lowest price when they get flooded too! I hear it all the time they had a resto company come in, the insurance is on their back but screw it, it's gotta be cheap! I think I'm just going to say the same thing to those who call me for a reno, "Nope I do service only".

·
Registered
8,972 Posts

I have the customer sign a waiver on my contract( gota love the small print) that anything they supply and I install is not my liability...
any pumps or items that require yearly maintenance or testing is all on the customer.. ill install any pos they want if they pay me, I will explain why they should NOT, and they should spend for quality for an item that will save them thousands of $$ and a ton of aggravation..the smart ones go with quality and the idiots get a flooded basement when the crap they buy fails...

·
7,305 Posts
Have you ever gotten someone take your offer??

I usually give the cheap option and the good option and no one has ever took either. They seriously prefer to get flooded than paying 1500$ and they also shop for the absolute lowest price when they get flooded too! I hear it all the time they had a resto company come in, the insurance is on their back but screw it, it's gotta be cheap! I think I'm just going to say the same thing to those who call me for a reno, "Nope I do service only".

We get a lot of folks buying the good stuff once I explain to them the trouble they might be getting themselves into.......

I got my photo album on Yelp with about 200 pictures in it now and I tell them to look at some of the High end Zoeller units I have installed and I tell them they still are working since they were installed in 1998 and got pictures of the date codes on the units to prove it.....

I do the same thing and dont do renovations any longer, just straight service... I dont have the time to get hung up in some nightmare that wont end

you should get on Yelp and get a free web site with them and then throw a bunch of pictures into the photo album it to boost up your sales ....It seems to work very well for us........:vs_cool:

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
you should get on Yelp and get a free web site with them and then throw a bunch of pictures into the photo album it to boost up your sales ....It seems to work very well for us........:vs_cool:

[/SIZE]

yell here is just another drop in the bucket of "phone books". I doubt anyone knows about it. It ain't free either.

I have a website, a big one.

·
7,305 Posts
yell here is just another drop in the bucket of "phone books". I doubt anyone knows about it. It ain't free either.

I have a website, a big one.

Well, yelp is free here in the usa.... they will attempt to get you to advertise with them but its not mandatory.... I think it also boosts your visibility and your ranking somewhat too.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts