Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep this belongs to the electrician, I would tell the caller have the electrician on site for the entire duration you are there.
That’s what I was thinking you can see where someone has put jumper wires on some of it,also they have had to put an impact wrench on some of the elements to get them loose

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Just looks like a bunch of regular heating elements and thermostats.

To check the fuses you can shut all the power and measure ohms accross the fuse. Should be close to zero ohms. If you're in doubt pull the fuse and check ohms/continuity. If the fuse is bad it will read megohms.

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
Just looks like a bunch of regular heating elements and thermostats.

To check the fuses you can shut all the power and measure ohms accross the fuse. Should be close to zero ohms. If you're in doubt pull the fuse and check ohms/continuity. If the fuse is bad it will read megohms.
What he said. But when checking ohms, pull the fuse first. You get a better reading. I’d take that job. Easy money.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I wont touch it....
I just wont deal with commercial heaters--
These are mostly in hotels with an owner named Patel

Commercial heaters are big money. I clear $5k on an install, more if they're a boiler. Of course most requests come from restaurants and they need it now.

Unless you're talking about servicing a heater. There's zero money in servicing water heaters of any type.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
What he said. But when checking ohms, pull the fuse first. You get a better reading. I’d take that job. Easy money.
If all the power's off than one side of that fuse isn't connected to anything. The good ohms reading should be the same regardless, no need to pull it.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,114 Posts
How did you ever guess???hit last name just perfect lolololololo
We get hotel calls all the time and its nothing but trouble to get paid
same with food service places, just dont have the time or man power
to change them out or fool with them

had one Patel wanting me to install a used unit they took out of another
place and it looked like they had drug it across the city ... They wanted my best price
to install the unit

·
4th year apprentice
915 Posts
Not a Patel, but another accent had me change his laundry valve recently and hook up a used washer that he got from somewhere. He actually had the nerve to call me back in from the truck as I was leaving to show me that the washer was not working, and try to say that was somehow MY responsibility to get it going.

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
If all the power's off than one side of that fuse isn't connected to anything. The good ohms reading should be the same regardless, no need to pull it.
No. My experience in the electric motor business tells me otherwise. Be it a fuse or capacitor, you need to separate it from the system to get a true reading. Integrated in the system will give you false readings.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We get hotel calls all the time and its nothing but trouble to get paid
same with food service places, just dont have the time or man power
to change them out or fool with them

had one Patel wanting me to install a used unit they took out of another
place and it looked like they had drug it across the city ... They wanted my best price
to install the unit
I know exactly what you mean
No. My experience in the electric motor business tells me otherwise. Be it a fuse or capacitor, you need to separate it from the system to get a true reading. Integrated in the system will give you false readings.
i agree with you open,I always disconnect when testing

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
B
Commercial heaters are big money. I clear $5k on an install, more if they're a boiler. Of course most requests come from restaurants and they need it now.

Unless you're talking about servicing a heater. There's zero money in servicing water heaters of any type.
But if it's a fairly new heater you can't just install a new one

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
i agree with you open,I always disconnect when testing
A fuse is not a capacitor. Measuring capacitance is different than measuring resistance. Yes, a capacitor may read incorrect capacitance if either leg is hooked to the circuit. A fuse however only needs one side disconnected to test it's resistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts